Thermo Aquatuner bypassing cheatsheet

12 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

Does the double bypass bridge work any different in the Parallel (right) configuration vs. the stacked (left) config?

@caffeinated21  Their works is same. The key faction is second bridge. It avoid overfilling coolant loop.

1 hour ago, voqn said:

@caffeinated21  Their works is same. The key faction is second bridge. It avoid overfilling coolant loop.

Dozens (hundred ?) ATs, I never used the second bridge, but I never had any overfilled loop. have I been lucky ? Or is it my way of setting it up ?

1 hour ago, voqn said:

Thank you, this is very usefull

5 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Dozens (hundred ?) ATs, I never used the second bridge, but I never had any overfilled loop. have I been lucky ?

It usually happens if the aquatuner stops working while you are filling its loop. Totally avoidable (happened to me 2 or 3 times, depending on configuration) but still annoying.

38 minutes ago, suxkar said:

It usually happens if the aquatuner stops working while you are filling its loop. Totally avoidable (happened to me 2 or 3 times, depending on configuration) but still annoying.

Ah, that is what this is for.

17 minutes ago, psusi said:

Why are you using two bridges?  Also the length of the bypass path is longer so when the AT fires up, the flow is interrupted and gets a gap in it.

Two bridges create a buffer of two pipe segments to fix rarely occuring problems with pipe clogging. Main route through bypass also filled with coolant, so there are no gaps in normal situation. If AT works, bypass not used - this configuration prioritize AT loop

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Why are you using two bridges?

Every single loop bypass that doesn't use this two bridge design will stop at some point under certain conditions. I wouldn't even say it's possible, but rather inevitable, at least in my experience.

23 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

Two bridges create a buffer of two pipe segments to fix rarely occuring problems with pipe clogging. Main route through bypass also filled with coolant, so there are no gaps in normal situation. If AT works, bypass not used - this configuration prioritize AT loop

I'm not sure you understand what I meant.  When the AT is off, you fill the loop.  It is all going through the bypass path.  Now when you turn the AT on, it goes through the main path.  If the main path is longer than the bypass, then you get a gap in your loop with no liquid in it since the loop is now longer than it was when it was taking the bypass.  If the bypass is longer than the main path, then you have an even worse problem: there isn't enough room for all of the liquid when the AT turns on and so the pipe clogs.  It looks like all of these actually have the worse problem so I guess that's what the second pipe bridge is for; to compensate for that.  I always just keep them both the same length, or at least, make the bypass shorter.

11 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

Every single loop bypass that doesn't use this two bridge design will stop at some point under certain conditions. I wouldn't even say it's possible, but rather inevitable, at least in my experience.

It's never happened to me.

51 minutes ago, psusi said:

If the bypass is longer than the main path, then you have an even worse problem: there isn't enough room for all of the liquid when the AT turns on and so the pipe clogs

As you can see, bypass is longer. And bypass have this two bridges construction, to make some buffering space and prevent clogging. This is exactly as you say

46 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

you can achieve a buffer with a single bridged AT, just have 2 segments after the input for the bridge, joining to the output + 1 segment.

In an effort to demonstrate my artistic prowess, I've had drawn an example:

Untitled.png.3b3988008ecbedae829bba559c2631a4.png

Wow thanks! this is awesome. I always had trouble with my ATs. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:44 AM, psusi said:

I'm not sure you understand what I meant.  When the AT is off, you fill the loop.  It is all going through the bypass path.  Now when you turn the AT on, it goes through the main path.  If the main path is longer than the bypass, then you get a gap in your loop with no liquid in it since the loop is now longer than it was when it was taking the bypass.  If the bypass is longer than the main path, then you have an even worse problem: there isn't enough room for all of the liquid when the AT turns on and so the pipe clogs.  It looks like all of these actually have the worse problem so I guess that's what the second pipe bridge is for; to compensate for that.  I always just keep them both the same length, or at least, make the bypass shorter.

It's never happened to me.

or just have a tank in the loop and a single bridge works fine.

Having a tank after the AT makes the most sense, as it averages out the temperature allowing for finer temperature control.  Where temperature control isn't critical, a single bridge bypass will suffice, as @psusi has stated.  I often use the no tank & single bridge bypass arrangement for cooling down the turbines, while the main cooling loop using a different AT has a tank.

Archived