Winona’s Totally Useless Spotlight (And how to fix it)

While my Original Idea Of using it as A boat light was okay at best.. That is NOT AT ALL what I feel it should do anymore. 

#1- Klei should fix the Spotlight so that it Prioritizes the player who is Furtherest away from the Spotlight and without a light source. 

I say this because I had Wurt Rushing back towards base with no light at dark who nearly died because my Dumb Useless Light was too busy focusing on the Maxwell who was right beside the light with his own lantern equipped.

(That was Dumb right?!?)

#2- The Spotlight should frighten away Batilisk!

I tend to base near closed off Cave Entrances often and the number one thing that happens is random under experienced players join my session and Yup you guessed it Open the dang thing up!! Which causes the Base to become overrun with Batilisk every night, So using the Spotlight to Scare them all away (since Bats are Nocturnal Creatures Anyway) Only makes Sense!

#3- Allow Winona to Operate the Spotlight herself moving it a full 360 degree rotation and shining it where she wants it to be.

This would be the way to scare of Batilisk because the light only Priorities players who are furthest away from camp and shines on them unless operated MANUALLY.. This also Makes Winona an Excellent Support role to assist her team in Night time Battles.

And Finally... Change the Spotlight so that it can ONLY be powered by the upgraded Generator the Gem-er-rator. Some people won’t be happy with this idea but it’s to keep the last two suggestions from being Overpowered.

#4-The Spotlight running on a GEM-Er-Rator should either Automatically turn itself off during the day or can be powered off by Winona, to save the expensive gem source source you use.

#5- The More GEMS in the Gem slots of the Gem-er-rator the larger the radius of the Spotlight will be and the further away it can be shined before losing its connection.

(If they want to make this complex to Avoid Becoming the most Overpowered thing EVER it could require a Blue, a Red, and a Purple Gem Stone Respectively..)

Spotlights should priorize hazards (incoming Hounds, Shadows, Sea Stacks, Deerclops, Malbatross, etc.) over players. That will allow you to spot them earlier and to fight them without light troubles (walking into the darkness for 1-3 seconds doesn't cause any hard penalty). The light radius isn't big enough to allow you to spot enemies around you, and you should actually be able to avoid darkness by your own.

36 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Spotlights should priorize hazards (incoming Hounds, Shadows, Sea Stacks, Deerclops, Malbatross, etc.) over players. That will allow you to spot them earlier and to fight them without light troubles (walking into the darkness for 1-3 seconds doesn't cause any hard penalty). The light radius isn't big enough to allow you to spot enemies around you, and you should actually be able to avoid darkness by your own.

What about 3 modes. 

1 Player focus

2 danger focus

3 manual control

So that we can use spotlight for different purposes

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

While my Original Idea Of using it as A boat light was okay at best.. That is NOT AT ALL what I feel it should do anymore. 

#1- Klei should fix the Spotlight so that it Prioritizes the player who is Furtherest away from the Spotlight and without a light source. 

I say this because I had Wurt Rushing back towards base with no light at dark who nearly died because my Dumb Useless Light was too busy focusing on the Maxwell who was right beside the light with his own lantern equipped.

(That was Dumb right?!?)

#2- The Spotlight should frighten away Batilisk!

I tend to base near closed off Cave Entrances often and the number one thing that happens is random under experienced players join my session and Yup you guessed it Open the dang thing up!! Which causes the Base to become overrun with Batilisk every night, So using the Spotlight to Scare them all away (since Bats are Nocturnal Creatures Anyway) Only makes Sense!

#3- Allow Winona to Operate the Spotlight herself moving it a full 360 degree rotation and shining it where she wants it to be.

This would be the way to scare of Batilisk because the light only Priorities players who are furthest away from camp and shines on them unless operated MANUALLY.. This also Makes Winona an Excellent Support role to assist her team in Night time Battles.

And Finally... Change the Spotlight so that it can ONLY be powered by the upgraded Generator the Gem-er-rator. Some people won’t be happy with this idea but it’s to keep the last two suggestions from being Overpowered.

#4-The Spotlight running on a GEM-Er-Rator should either Automatically turn itself off during the day or can be powered off by Winona, to save the expensive gem source source you use.

#5- The More GEMS in the Gem slots of the Gem-er-rator the larger the radius of the Spotlight will be and the further away it can be shined before losing its connection.

(If they want to make this complex to Avoid Becoming the most Overpowered thing EVER it could require a Blue, a Red, and a Purple Gem Stone Respectively..)

If the Spotlight works on the Batilisks because as you said "Bats are nocturnal creatures", then wouldn't any light source work as well? Hold a Lantern. BAM! Light. Anything that generates light? BAM! F u batilisk.

Tbh your batilisk thing sounds like you wanted the rework just to fix your own problem of basing near sinkholes in the first place. Most of your ideas (in threads I read) are nice but they seem selfish to me. Like, just build bunny hutches or plant spider eggs as Webber next to the sinkhole. If you truly just hate the bats and don't actually want their drops then spiders are great. You can farm the spiders in the morning for silk and glands too. Or you know, don't base next to sinkholes?

And also, why do you base near sinkholes anyways?

7 minutes ago, Booklover said:

If the Spotlight works on the Batilisks because as you said "Bats are nocturnal creatures", then wouldn't any light source work as well? Hold a Lantern. BAM! Light. Anything that generates light? BAM! F u batilisk.

Tbh your batilisk thing sounds like you wanted the rework just to fix your own problem of basing near sinkholes in the first place. Most of your ideas (in threads I read) are nice but they seem selfish to me. Like, just build bunny hutches or plant spider eggs as Webber next to the sinkhole. If you truly just hate the bats and don't actually want their drops then spiders are great. You can farm the spiders in the morning for silk and glands too. Or you know, don't base next to sinkholes?

And also, why do you base near sinkholes anyways?

Well.. I wish I could send you a screenshot of my server and all of the Data that has been applied to my Server (Aka a list of players who have joined and Died and the cause of Said Players Deaths..) Batilisks May be easy to kill in 1 or 2 hits, but when you got 9 of them invading your base and low health players all dying it makes you wish that the Spotlight scared them off.

Why would the Spotlight scare them off but not a normal torch or Willows Lighter? Uhh the Spotlight is a HUGE Light source, those other things would only barely hold away bats.

I do fully agree that both a LANTERN and Miners Hat should have the same effect though. (But not Torches, Willows Lighter or Smaller sources of light like Charged Lightning Rods)

12 hours ago, Desblat said:

they are annoying that's it

That's why you build a pen of stone walls with one-two bunny hutches inside next to the unplugged and voila, you'll never get bothered by the bats again. Seriously, it really works that well and it's easy to make.

I don't think scaring away batalisks is that important - there are ways to deal with them.  @Captain_Rage just listed my most common tactics.  Just wall up 1-2 bunnymen nearby.  Bunnymen are also nocturnal, and will agro the bats.  If you get any chasing you (bats don't agro bunnymen) just run passed the bunnymen and they will pick them off of you.  You can place a slow spoiling meat, like a jerky near the bunnymen to lure the bats over.  If you don't build anything up to deal with them they can be a bit troublesome because they don't immediately agro, and like to circle you instead.  If you drop a meat they'll go to eat it though giving you an easier kill.

The light could use some upgrades though.  If any structure should have an on / off switch it should be the lights.  The generators have a steady power leak anyway, so you'll have to refuel them no matter how much / little you use them.  It would make them a better convenience item, which really is what these lights should be.  They are an item of convenience, and currently they just aren't... Convenient...

I think the game could use a greater re-work for power though.  Originally we got had fridges which didn't need power, then we get flingos that do, but you power them up with nearly any combustible, then Winona comes along and we get her generators...  Power is a pretty inconsistent thing in the constant and I think in light of Winona's rework it might not be a bad idea to come back to this.

I like 1, and it would be nice to have a structure that specifically does 2 (I do not trust bunnymen at the best of times, being both a Wortox main and prone to carrying meat around and working at dusk, and cannot be bothered to get enough bunny puffs to set up the initial bunnyman settlements on the surface anyway). 3 might be interesting but seems potentially redundant with 1; I'm not sure when manually steering the spotlight would actually be more useful than automatic targeting except for chasing away night hands. Increasing the power demands doesn't honestly seem necessary for balance.

Archived