On Playing New Characters

So, I’m trying to branch out and play a new character, but I can never seem to make myself do it, and am looking for how you all do it. 

My main is Woodie, and has been for years, and every single time I play as someone else, I inevitably end up wishing I’d chosen him, or starting a new world and picking him. How do you make yourself play other characters? Especially for those of you who’ve been in the same boat (or birch bark canoe). 

I do play as Warly from time to time, and I think it’s due to liking the challenge and his play style. I’d LIKE to play as Maxwell and Wormwood, but again, I always end up going back to Woodie. I just like his gameplay, personality, comments, and overall aesthetic so much  

Any ideas?

Well first you can try to find out what you liked about Woodie.

For me, I tend to have a habit of maining what people considered "trash characters". I think it's because of my rebellious nature and my need to prove people wrong. So I started maining Willow for quite some time. Keep in mind that in this time I sucked at kiting and I'm terrified of darkness. That's why I picked Willow. Her lighter became my crutch.

Come Hallowed Nights I decided to branch out and try other characters since in Hallowed Nights the Portal always has 3 pumpkin lanterns to light your way. My fear of darkness slowly faded as I used a pumpkin lantern and slowly learned the ways of lighting. I tried Wormwood at first and I loved him. He was quite fun and free from prejudice unlike Willow. His playstyle was fitting for me due to my need of safety and base camping.

After a while I decided to try Wendy since she seems fun. I learned a new technique for her that Hallowed Night. She was great with quotes and I stayed with her until Winter's Feast.

Then came Maxwell. And boy was he a blast. I learned to love his Duelists and destroy forests. He was really great and due to his fuel farming ability I learned to not be scared of shadow creatures.

My cousin challenged me to play Wigfrid a while ago and well she taught me the importance of killing beefalos, koalephants etc and taught me the ways of kiting.

Now I'm currently drowning in silk as Webber. He is a pure cinnamon roll and I had fun with his spiders.

I don't know about you but I think of the characters like lessons. They each teach you something. If you stay on a main forever... well you end up one-tricking that character. Sure you'll learn the same lessons as the characters will teach but slower. I think of the characters like a journey. You challenge yourself to try everyone and get used to their playstyle. Then can you cultivate your own unique playstyle. I used to be a ***** base camper, constantly sitting at base for fear of death. Now after learning the lessons the characters taught me, I tend to wander out and live off the Constant rather than my base's icebox.

So go out there. Challenge yourself to play a character. Wigfrid was my first challenge. She was the complete opposite of my playstyle and she forced me to change and adapt. I started her with apprehension and now I ended her with satisfaction. If you ever feel discontent at your challenge character, don't worry! Change them. Can't deal with Wolfgang's hunger issues? Try someone else. Try Wigfrid for example to learn to hunt. Try Wurt to learn to forage for veggies. DST is a notebook with each page a completely different topic. The more you play and read the notebook, the better you get.

The thing that spurred me to change characters was boredom and fun. After few weeks of playing a character I get bored so I change. The more you throw surprises and challenges at yourself the better you'll get. Don't worry about being good. Just worry about having fun.

There is no reason for you to "have" to like other characters if you like Woodie the most.

Now if you wanna try something new, I play different new characters usually with an Idea in mind of something I read, or saw, or just imagine that would be cool to do as such character.

Sometimes its hard to change your playstyle if you are very used to a specific way a character works, and as such if you want to do things exactly the same way as that other character does them, then you can't really enjoy the new character. EG: If you continue playing as if you were Woodie, Wormwood will not only feel ackward, but will perform very poorly since to that specific playstyle Woodie would have been better.

If I was you, I'd go bananas, play in a way you never have, jump into public servers and see how much you can fare with the madness of that world, AND the new character, without consequences or the usual standrds and goals you have. Like I have to find this and then by day X kill dfly, etc. Forget the usual goals, just try to survive, help others, and see how things go.

You can also check advanced guides or videos of other characters, to try to do specific goals of such char, even if they are exploits. Sometimes I find out cool stuff of the character, that are not related at all to what I originally intended to do.

BTW woodie is awesome at this point in the game anyway so I can see how changing can be tough 

It feels like its not the same game. The flow is different and quickly you end up not really knowing what to do next. That's the moment when you tell yourself you wish you had taken Woodie. In my case, Wendy. 

But I've played for a good amount of time. In the end, I tried all the characters I have the slightest interest in. Wurt is really growing as a second main, for no good reason lol, I just dig her.

There is like 2 ways for me of going about learning and appreciating a new character that somehow works out. 

1. Go on a pub and casually try out the new guy, no pressure, no big goal in mind. Don't start a fresh private new world telling yourself It's gonna be your Webber's world. You'll end up not playing it (most probably).

2. Maybe you have a big private world with Woodie where you have opened the paraphernalia portal. There you can comfortably make good use of the specific skills of the whole cast. The plan is to simply use them and their abilities for a short amount of time, again with no big commitment. This is particularly good for the characters that have late game strengths, because you have a lot of resources already and you can try out anything. For example, you could create a tentacle field trap with Wicker or make the Merm king with Wurt way more easily than if you had started the world with them (you get bored before the fun part comes kinda). 

Your main will not change, but the more you do these two, the more chances you have of learning to seriously like a new character for "his gameplay, personality, comments, and overall aesthetic". That's just how something will click. Then you can start a new world, assured that you'll be able to play for a good while without missing Lucy's whining. 

I hope this helps... But these tips have not been proven to work. Use at your own risk ^^

Here’s what you do- you start a world on Wildlife Mode (so if you die you pick a new character and respawn randomly in that same world)

Do NOT immediately pick your favorite, instead hit the Random button and play whoever it gives to you first- Once you die you then put a big red X over their portrait and don’t play as them because they are “Dead” for this world at least..

when I was a total Noob at the game and died a awful lot through experimentation, I played DST alone this way, and in the process and learned for the most part the strengths and weaknesses of the entire games cast.

Unfortunately all my work will be Null and void over the course of 2020 as Klei Entertainment has set out to update and rework the entire games character cast.

Heres a guide of Who all has seen Reworks- Anyone not on this list is subject to MAJOR changes over the course of next year.. and Remember Woodie and his new Mutation forms? I Defiantly do mean MAJOR.

List of Reworked Characters are: 

Winona, Woodie, Warly, Wormwood, Willow.

Everyone Else with the exception of WURT and WORTOX are still going to be receiving a gameplay refresh over the course of 2020.. so Don’t get too used to Anyone’s current Playstyle, It’s all subject to change.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Here’s what you do- you start a world on Wildlife Mode (so if you die you pick a new character and respawn randomly in that same world)

Do NOT immediately pick your favorite, instead hit the Random button and play whoever it gives to you first- Once you die you then put a big red X over their portrait and don’t play as them because they are “Dead” for this world at least..

when I was a total Noob at the game and died a awful lot through experimentation, I played DST alone this way, and in the process and learned for the most part the strengths and weaknesses of the entire games cast.

Unfortunately all my work will be Null and void over the course of 2020 as Klei Entertainment has set out to update and rework the entire games character cast.

Heres a guide of Who all has seen Reworks- Anyone not on this list is subject to MAJOR changes over the course of next year.. and Remember Woodie and his new Mutation forms? I Defiantly do mean MAJOR.

List of Reworked Characters are: 

Winona, Woodie, Warly, Wormwood, Willow.

Everyone Else with the exception of WURT and WORTOX are still going to be receiving a gameplay refresh over the course of 2020.. so Don’t get too used to Anyone’s current Playstyle, It’s all subject to change.

Wormwood counted as a new character, not a refreshed one.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They Refreshed some of his abilities for DST different from his Hamlet, so I’m still Technically going to consider him to be a Rework. Same as Warly.

Okay, fair. Just remember to include him in the roster of 4 new characters they announced. There's one left and I hope they aren't a rework/new character hybrid like Worm or Warly.

If you like everything about him, I don't understand why you'd want to switch characters.

But if you want to sample, I recommend you do it on your own terms. Want to make a tentacle abattoir, great; have no interest in horticulture, refuse unless they do all the work and provide all materials

I have became much better at DST after I started playing different characters. I was a Wickerbottom main for like three years. I avoided fighting as much as I could and Deerclops was a horror to me. It worked because I always played with my friend who at that time was a Wigfrid main and did all the fighting. We had our niches and in time developed a good routine and our world stayed alive far over 1000 days. It got boring. Both of us wanted to experience something new and that's why we decided to switch our characters randomly every few years. At first it was really hard and boy I wished I was Wickerbottom, everything's so easy and effective as her. I was obligated to use characters I thought I hated and/or wouldn't work at all for me and it really forced me out of my comfort zone. I had to do stuff I had avoided for so long, but after some time I noticed it's not really that hard and I'm having great fun.

Nowdays I enjoy changing my character and almost always I pick random. It has taught me a ton of new strategies and I have a much better understanding of what different characters need, which is really valuable information while playing with others on public servers. I feel I can help others much more now I've experienced myself every role this game offers. I still like some characters more than others but there's no character I dislike, they all have good sides and sometimes the good side is to challenge me to do things differently, which is ok to me. I absolutely agree with @Booklover, every character indeed is a lesson.

I'm not saying my way is the only way or the best way to learn about different aspects of DST. Or that all of you out there should play as every character and if you don't you're never going to be really good at DST, no. There are other ways, but I still think going out of your comfort zone is a very good way and that's how I get the most out of this game. I certainly recommend giving it a try. For me, disliking other characters was only a temporary phase, maybe it's for you too. If it's not, just go back to Woodie, in that case it's certain he's meant for you.

If you feel you shouldn't always play as your main, even though you struggle with others, try making rules to yourself. Decide you'll play the next game year as *insert character name here* and don't let yourself go back to Woodie before that year is over. Consider it as a challenge and make yourself look for the things that make this particular character worth playing as.Try if you can talk some of you friends into doing this with you, I personally liked it more after changing characters and preparing for it bacame a quest I do together with my friend. Just remember that playing is supposed to be fun, no matter what you do!

Just think about it in a different way, if you don't try them out you will not know if you will ever like them. I played two characters for years and only decided to try out new character because i thought that i won't play for long on that world and it would be fun.It turns out that the character i picked suited my playstyle, i still mostly play my main but there are  situations where i could switch with the celestial portal.

After that i just tried to play any other character that i thought i might enjoy for some reason.

For example i am a Wickerbottom main, i started playing Woodie after his rework because i thought that what i like about Wickerbottom, i'll be able to find in Woodie, i like how versatile these characters are and how many options are available for them at any given moment, if you have similar thoughts as a Woodie main you should give Wickerbottom a try.

Archived