Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!)

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wurt is a curious young Merm trying to expand her horizons…

Isn't Wurt a male name?

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Wurt can craft Merm Houses and Merm Flort-ifications

Oh man, what a great griefing potential. You can surround portal with like 4 merm houses and they will take down any player that joins.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Wurt can craft a Clever Disguise to get other survivors to blend in with her swamp friends

Also good for griefing, other character won't be able to survive because only griefing character can craft the protection item. Very nice.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Likes to keep Pet Fish in her inventory

I think it would work the same as Warbucks keeping oincs in his inventory to gain sanity. Perhaps that would even surpass Maxwell's natural sanity regen, like Warbucks' did.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wurt is a vegetarian

Nice. Finally some food-related challenge that doesn't require these awful farms.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

vegetarian with a particular appreciation for Durians

Oh wait, it does. Ugh. Fistful of Jams and Butter Muffins, looking forward to you. Unless durians give at least 150 hunger I'm not going to bother doing farms the way they are right now. Really wonder if Klei will make more characters with farm-related perks without buffing farms beforehand.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Being wet does not affect her strong grip

I think that means only one of wetness' negative perks is absent (slippery tools). The rest (sanity drain, perceived temperature decrease) remains.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:
  • The Merm King provides all Merms extra strength to fight
  • Wurt must feed the Merm King to prevent him from starving

Sounds like some Forge mechanics to me. I'm against bringing stuff from custom modes to the main game, as in Warly case it made the character less appealing to me and many other players. Let's hope it stays optional thing and we might as well as let this perk have situational use and let Merm King die when we don't need him. Absolute majority of people hate and avoid stuff that requires maintenance, like pets or domesticated beefalo, so let's see  how this one is going to be desiged with that point taken into consideration.

4 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

What does the "4 Classic Characters Skins" mean? The default Wurt skin plus Guest of Honor, Triumphant and Abyssal ones or the literally Classic aka default/essential skins for Wurt and I suppose Wortox, Warly, and Wormwood?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Warly doesn't have an essential skin like those other character... he was free for all player thus making his default skin already free.

1 minute ago, Warlockadamm said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Warly doesn't have an essential skin like those other character... he was free for all player thus making his default skin already free.

Ah, yes. Then those "4 Classic Characters Skins" are....a mystery wrapped into an enigma :lol:

24 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

"4 Classic Characters Skins"

I think it means that you will get 4 skins for one of the base characters like Wilson, Wx, Willow, etc. It is suppose to be a essentially a start  up pack and including a few other elegants in there wouldn't be bad, and would give newer players more customization options then shirt, and maybe shoes.

16 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Isn't Wurt a male name?

Take a look at this assortment of merm names:
- Blort
- Blupper
- Fthhhhh
- Glipn
- Glunt
- Glurtski 
- Mropt
- Rut Rut
- Shlorpen
- Slpslpslp 
Just try to attach a gender to any of those. I'm joking, please don't, it's literally impossible because we know so little about merms and their culture.

Either way, the simple answer to "isn't Wurt a male name?" is no, because our Wurt is female! It says it right there.

I am so exited for this character! You guys have really outdone yourselves with this list of abilities. I also like the addition of a "favorite food," helps add some flavor to the characters personality.

Kinda bumbed out that she doesn't have the hunchback model, but still worth it.

I wounder what her quotes will be like, seeing as the merm vocabulary so far seems to consist of Florp Glup Blop.

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Take a look at this assortment of merm names:
- Blort
- Blupper
- Fthhhhh
- Glipn
- Glunt
- Glurtski 
- Mropt
- Rut Rut
- Shlorpen
- Slpslpslp 

Well, unlike most of those, Wurt is an actual name. I looked up and it seems of to be of Anglo-Saxon origin meaning "Worthy" and it also clearly stated to be MASCULINE, not gender-neutral.

6 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Either way, the simple answer to "isn't Wurt a male name?" is no, because our Wurt is female! It says it right there.

Following your logic, if there's at least a single person having a name of opposite sex then this name does not belong to opposite sex anymore.

9 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Well, unlike most of those, Wurt is an actual name. I looked up and it seems of to be of Anglo-Saxon origin meaning "Worthy" and it also clearly stated to be MASCULINE, not gender-neutral.

Following your logic, if there's at least a single person having a name of opposite sex then this name does not belong to opposite sex anymore.

"Origin of the name Alexander:
A compound Greek name composed of the elements alexein (to defend, to help) and andros (man): hence, “defender or helper of mankind.” The name was borne by Alexander the Great (356—323 B.C.), a Macedonian king and military conqueror who helped spread the Greek culture across Asia Minor to Egypt and India. Var: Aleksandr, Aleksandur, Alexander, Alexandras. Short: Alek, Alekos, Alex, Alexei, Alexios, Alexis, Sander, Sandros"

But you still find girls named Alex, don't you? Just drop it man. It's a name, is it really something to get worked up about?

YES!  Finally, the other side of the etneral Pig vs. Merm Conflict will be represented.  MERMS OF THE SWAMP, UNITE!  YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR REEDS!  (actually don't lose those; reeds are awesome.)

This sounds overall like a complicated but very interesting character to play! And I don't think it's too OP, considering that to even make the Merm King thing requires materials from EVERYWHERE.  Also, how much you're tethered down by him depends on how often he needs to be fed.  We don't know that yet.

The vegetarian part is interesting...and makes total sense if you think about it, 'cos _merms have always been vegetarians_.  I played as an obligate-vegan before once (Winnie, from a mod obviously) and winter was...interesting. But the KIND of challenge I tend to like, so it should be fun.

Now for Quote-a-Palooza:

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

The starter pack includes Wurt, 4 Classic Characters Skins, a new spear skin, hound backpack and Green Pajamas and Bedroll.  

...will this give us the yawn/sleepy emote, or something new?  I've wanted one of those for so long. Finally, _I_ will be able to spam annoying yawn noises at everybody!

4 hours ago, NoscopeFelix said:

Plant boi and fish girl, I can almost picture them being best pals.

Together, they fight CRIME!

4 hours ago, Terra_Zina said:

But what's with the horns? Is this just a status thing (like how big horns are often associated with royalty, like a crown) or is this a different species of merm? Because the horns in particular was the reason people thought she was part goat.

Also I'm pretty happy it's a female. I know it shouldn't matter but it kinda does.

Heh.  Maybe it's the monster-culture equivalent of how, like, twin-corkscrew hairdos usually mean a character is "aristocratic" in some way in anime?  Like this:

Spoiler

catherine.png.05be45eea2077316a805215ed0b24992.png

(sorry for the pose and lingerie, it's naturally difficult to get a NON sexytimes picture of Catherine, considering she's

Spoiler

literally a succubus.  Also, she's the daughter of the KING of Hell, so yeah, royalty.

Or this, for just a couple examples off the top of my head:

Spoiler

elodie.png.20c5fd77cdd73752b45f130374b7ae06.png

Crown Princess Elodie, from "Long Live the Queen"!  Don't let the name or art style fool you.  You most likely WON'T live long, and the game is basically cute pink frilly fluffy anime Game of Motherbeeping THRONES.

Only the endings are all WAY better-written.

Okay so the quote thingie decided to stop working suddenly, but yeah, Mike 23Ua, why CAN'T she swim?  It would make sense.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:
4 hours ago, markorguyfieri said:

all i can really say is hhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

thonk you for your time. Edit i just now saw she is vegetarian. yall don't know how long i've been hoping for a vegetarian

Why exactly??? There is PLENTY of Carrots, Birchnuts, Tomatoroots, Berries and Juicy Berries all over EVERYWHERE.. I do not in any way shape or form see “Vegetarian” as I HARD way to survive in DS.. in fact the above items I just listed is pretty much what I live off of as every other character in the game, with the exception of Wigfrid- who actually has to murder her food before she will eat it.

I can't speak for markorguyfieri here, but _I_ assumed the excitement for a vegetarian character was because it would be a NEW playstyle.  Not that people necessarily want or expect it to be super _challenging_.  We've had a meatatarian for a long time; now it's time to find out what it's like to play the OTHER way!  And be _forced_ to this time, instead of a voluntary challenge. And it doesn't need a mod.

TL;DR:  Things can be cool and interesting in other ways than being hard.

3 hours ago, -Variant said:

I've wanted an answer to this for the longest time.
Can Merms reproduce?
Do baby goats turn into Baby merms? If so, would Mumsy as an example turn into an adult Merm, like say, Wilson? 
Are we excluding Wendy and Webber due to game limitations or do we count it as kids turning into adults? 
I want answers.

I always assume every living creature in the game can reproduce, albeit in mysterious and weird ways we probably don't want to know about.  After all, even the completely SEEDLESS lumpy evergreens spawn new sprouts, and if _they_ can do that in the Constant...

I've never assumed ALL goats eventually turn into Merms.  I thought that was just what was happening to that one particular village in the Gorge.  Maybe the Gnaw was copying the Merm appearance because it liked it/thought it would make a good punishment?  I just assumed adult Merms were grown-up (never seen until now) baby Merms.

Oh, and yes the kids are kids. But kid characters under cartoon/sitcom rules, aka, they never age because it'd change the plot.  Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson would like to say hi.

3 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Double Mermification

Nope.  GOATification.  Even though I just said that wouldn't be a thing in my headcanon.  : P

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But doesn’t setting birchnut trees on fire still drop roasted birchnuts even during winter?? So I’m confused unless Birchnuts do not count as vegetarian food.

They do count, but the trees do NOT drop birchnuts in winter.  Ask the last person to try and play the mod character Winnie in my server.  ROTTEN birchnuts _that had fallen off long ago_ made _slightly_ tolerable by cooking were all that was keeping her alive by the end of winter.  

2 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

I wonder what recipes are ok and not for a vegetarian character, some are apparent while others are confusing for me. Like flower salad, fancy spiraled tubers, stuffed eggplant make sense but what about froggie bunwich, fish tacos, spicy chili, and stuffed pepper poppers? Those have meat in the recipes alongside veggies so I'm a bit confused tbh. Hopefully when she comes out, some generous forum user will post what works and what doesn't.   

Anything with ANY meat _in_ it at all, would not be acceptable.  Like how Wigfird _can_ eat anything that CONTAINS meat, but backwards.

And THIS is the version of the post I meant to post.  Stupid thing posted early.  Dangit.

...Notorious

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

wurt-wallpaper-coming-soon.png

Hey everybody, 

Hallowed Nights will return October 24th! For the most part, Hallowed Nights will remain the same as last year but we threw in a couple new tricks and treats for you. The team is really focused on Return of Them content right now, and will be taking a short break from RoT after the next release as we prepare for Winter's Feast!

Next Thursday will also see the introduction of a brand new character DLC. Wurt is a curious young Merm trying to expand her horizons… as long as those horizons don’t extend into Pig territory. 

• Wurt can spot where danger is hiding in the swamp
  • Wurt can craft the Royal Tapestry and make a home for the Merm King and his Guards:
    • The Royal Tapestry requires materials from all over The Constant
    • The Merm King provides all Merms extra strength to fight
    • Wurt must feed the Merm King to prevent him from starving
  • Wurt can craft Merm Houses and Merm Flort-ifications
  • She moves faster while on the swamp and can craft tiles to expand her turf
  • Wurt is a vegetarian with a particular appreciation for Durians
  • Wurt can craft a Clever Disguise to get other survivors to blend in with her swamp friends
  • Likes to keep Pet Fish in her inventory
  • Strongly dislikes Pigs
  • Being wet does not affect her strong grip

Wurt will be unlocked in the following ways:

• Wurt will be available for purchase for $5.99, in the Wurt Chest. Wurt’s Guest of Honor skin set is included in this chest for free.
  • The Wurt Deluxe Chest is $9.99 and includes the Guest of Honor, Triumphant and Abyssal skin sets.
  • Wurt is part of the new "Starter Pack" that can now be purchased with a New Megapack Bundle. Current Megapack Bundle owners will be able to upgrade for $6.99. The starter pack includes Wurt, 4 Classic Characters Skins, a new spear skin, hound backpack and Green Pajamas and Bedroll.  
  • You can weave Wurt for 2700 spool.

We also have some new skins that have been added to the Hallowed Nights collection and we will also be increasing the drop rarity for skins during Hallowed Nights.

Finally, we will be adding a Loyal login bonus item for all players during the event as well as new Twitch drops! We expect this release to hit on the 24th for both PC and console.

The next Return of Them beta update "Hook, Line and Inker" should release early November. But as always, that is an estimate and things could change, expect more details about a week before release. 

Of course, we will also have a new spooky edition animated short for you all, and I think the team really outdid themselves on this one. We can't wait for you all to check it out.

Till next time! 

wurt_edit_sc17_000001.png

I still called Klei's mom, sorry. :(

Jokes aside, this is a really good update, also i hope this time i get the Webilisk skin, or... I'M GOING TO CALL KLEI'S MOM AGAIN IF I DON'T, SMH MY HEAD.

My only real concern here is that Webber and Wendy are being made less and less unique/useful with these character updates.

Wurt themself sounds great though! Think it's a neat twist on the follower mechanic; managing an entire ecosystem in exchange for being able to lead an army, rather than just...passing by a random spider nest to grab some paper mache drones, or having one thing follow you all the time.
Then add in the veggies-only part? Sounds like the character will be fun to manage in Winter.

Wurt's likely going to be extremely strong during non-winter parts of the year, but I like the concept, at least. Gives us some more base-game concepts to work with in modding.
And TBH, the character encouraging the player to spread the Swamp across the world sounds really fun. I'm a long RTS player, and I can already feel this mechanic kinda pulling me in.

Kind of funny though...
We were just discussing the possibility of making the Swamp, Moon, or some special sort of turf possibly slowly spread and corrupt the world in the Uncompromising Mode mod a few days ago. The timing of Klei's announcement on implementing something so similar in concept is entertaining.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Likes to keep Pet Fish in her inventory

...hey, wait a second...
Did we just get confirmation that Merms are, in fact, not part fish, but just carry around fish all the time because they're like that?

BECAUSE I LOVE THAT

16 minutes ago, maradyne said:

We were just discussing the possibility of making the Swamp, Moon, or some special sort of turf possibly slowly spread and corrupt the world in the Uncompromising Mode mod a few days ago. The timing of Klei's announcement on implementing something so similar in concept is entertaining.

stop making up these elaborate excuses to hijack threads into talking about your mod project

If the merm king helps her damage as well, she could definitely be a viable contender for fighting bosses like bee queen and dfly solo if she builds her swamp near them. Also, as a base builder first and most, im loving the perks that allow you to build more structures and have a little kingdom!!!

1 hour ago, shadowDigga said:

names don't belong to any sex, and we can't even know what wurt's sex is until klei personally tells us what chromosomes she has

this statement doesn't make any sense

Archived