• Yes, he should be stronger.
    • No, he should be weaker.
  3. 3. Is beaver weak?

• No, he's fine
    • Yes, he should be stronger.
    • No, he should be weaker.
  4. 4. Is normal Woodie boring?

5. 5. How strong is Woodie?

IMHO he's fine, if you want to focus on a specific area of the game and become the most efficient at it, you need to pick a different character. Woodie is the secondary "everything" and can fill any role needed, much better than anyone not specialized in that, with a few extra bonus perks that nobody else has (like waterwalking, nightvision, the moose charge attack, etc.)

He's a lot of fun at all stages of the game too.

I think Woodie's new rework has turned him into the best "jack-of-all-trades" character in DST so far. Sorry Maxwell. 

- Beaver can now properly fell trees without the constant looming threat of Insanity and Treeguards, which is something Maxwell still has to deal with. And even if you do want Treeguards, Woodie now has the increased spawn chance for them in human form! Best of both worlds.

- Moose is a great damage transformation. His charge is great for both escape and crowd control, and when paired with the right characters, he can tank his way through most bosses without taking a break.

- Goose is faster than most players, except for maybe an overcharged WX, but nobody can run on water like he can! Goose is great for filling in the map in the early days, and can even rush the Lunar Island faster and easier than any other character in the game! I dunno about you, but I like the idea of having lunar tools and stone fruit in a base before Winter.
If Goose was stuck to only wandering the land and not the sea, he'd still be arguably worse than the other transformations, so I'm glad Klei listened to all of our feedback. Now he has his own impactful niche to fill, just like the others.

All of these makes Woodie a great pick for any team. His all-around usefulness can be boosted even further when paired with the right team, like Warly to increase the efficiency of the Beaver's chopping with Honey Crystals, and up the damage of the Moose with Chili Flakes. Wortox is also a good pairing to heal Woodie in his Were-forms, since he has no way to heal otherwise. This allows Moose to facetank almost every boss if he just so wanted to. The Goose also allows Woodie to share the location of the Lunar Island with his teammates to lessen the time they'll spend aimlessly sailing on the sea. Woodie is now useful for almost any situation, and I'm real thankful for it.

I love Woodie's rework. He's the perfect character if you only have a few days of gameplay to spare before hopping off, and he's the perfect goof character with perks that can benefit the people he's playing with.

In my opinion I prefer fun characters as opposed to strong late game characters, because I'm a public server player and I'll rarely have enough time to make it to summer/late spring before the entire server resets again.

His current sanity drain can be counter-acted by just consuming a https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Psychosis_Experiment#Dram

( The Sanity Potion from hallowed nights ) with just -1 sanity left ( +14 if you consume the big one)

if you fully stay in a were-transformation for half a day.

Very useful if a fight becomes absurdly long because of a mistake or if you just want to be a werebeaver for long times without the sanity problems.

15 minutes ago, Broodalize said:

Kind of surprised with the beaver reaction. Can someone explain why people find it worthwhile? I'm on console so the hotfix has yet to come to me, but as is he seems to pale in comparison to just average woodie.

Beaver has 0 chance to spawn Treeguards, he lasts for way longer than pre-hotfix (I think like 4+ minutes compared to 1 minute), and his sanity drain is reduced to practically nothing along with every other Were-transformation. He can solely focus on chopping trees now, with little to no interruptions from insanity and treeguards.

8 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

Wortox is also a good pairing to heal Woodie in his Were-forms, since he has no way to heal otherwise.

Small correction - If you don't count jellybeans as were-form healing (and it's completely fair not to count them), other players always have the option of using Healing Salves and Honey Poultices on Were-Woodie.

3 hours ago, Broodalize said:

Kind of surprised with the beaver reaction. Can someone explain why people find it worthwhile? 

I completely agree with what @Chris1448 said, and also, the old beaver used to loose beaverness quickly when nibbling any other thing thay wasnt wood, so you couldn't mine more than one or 2 rocks before returning to woodie.

Current beaver can mine peacefully for all its duration which is pretty long, so you can use it for early game mining (while saving a lot of resources), for ruins mining/breaking walls in complete darkness, and for getting glass quickly from his early incursions into the moon island. He can dig out all the stone bushes quickly too (and open the stonefruits!)

The beaver form just fells trees like a chainsaw and if need be can serve as a lazy miner for rocks or ice if you find some nearby in the midst of a chopping spree, saving on shoveling stump durability and pickaxe durability. Useful especially say in a public server where you can't find flint to start off mining a gold boulder and resource pinches in general. Considering you want to be mid to low hunger most of the time at leisure as Woodie there's also little drawback from whipping together a totem to gather resources most of the time.

6 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

Beaver has 0 chance to spawn Treeguards, he lasts for way longer than pre-hotfix (I think like 4+ minutes compared to 1 minute), and his sanity drain is reduced to practically nothing along with every other Were-transformation. He can solely focus on chopping trees now, with little to no interruptions from insanity and treeguards.

Noted, in the idea that he can chop wood quickly with no interruption.

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

so you couldn't mine more than one or 2 rocks before returning to woodie

........No.

This update didn't remove his lumberjack aspect at all. It made him more versatile. He's new transformations just add to him some new perks like being good at scouting and fighting but I noticed that most of the players forget about one and very big change in his gameplay which is removing his transformation after choping too many trees in a row.

Now he's a real monster especially during first 20 days. You can easy get full inventory of wood without sweating in day 1. His axe never broke and even if you don't wanna fight a treeguard in early autumn then just plant some cones to calm him down, you should have plenty of them.

After Return of Them update wood become even more important and getting lots of it fast is very convenient.

Archived