A (positive) theory on why dont starve together is more forgiving and it's community.

before we start:

(Be warned I'm really bad at writing in general so I hope you have a better understanding of this and if it feels I've worded things wrong please let me know and I'll try my best to fix it!)

who am I and my backstory with Don't starve:

before I start this, I've been a fan of dont starve for a really long time I've seen a youtuber play it in around 2013 and in 2014 I bought it on ps vita having a small memory of the game, I played and loved it ever since learning and experimenting with the game, I shrieked and bounced around with excitement of the year dont starve together got released, ever since then whenever dont starve got an update, I would always watch the PC videos and spend my time just sitting and waiting for the updates to come! I'm even excited about salty dogs for as a person who knows a few about history and how people historically traveled out to gain spices,(which is salt) and riches, I think whatever we gain from any update no matter how small it is, I  will still be excited to view and see it while squealing my head off over something silly such as a goose walking on water. I want you all to know my backstory so we can all feel related as a community and a group who will give our love and support to a team who rightfully earned our love and respect through the years!

The average player expectation:

Hello! Thank you for putting your time here to talk about a big problem between the dont starve community with the idea the game needs to be more challenging and hardcore, that it's only sucking up to new players, that people that are like Edgy Rick is the only people that should tell Klei what to do just because they can raid a boss with in 10 days and most new players/ experienced ones feel the need to make up for it but feel bad for not being able to walk out of their comfort zone and stay low sanity or somehow fight a boss within 3 days of entering a world. And after reading a post that came out (not saying what it is) and seeing the community turn on eachother, I couldnt help but make this,

learn your own way:

Dont starve is a game of experience! you learn how things work from dying and it should motivate you from trying harder to overpass your previous experiences to get better.why do you think there are so many different items in the game that you probably will never need, get to make in one playthrough of the game? Think about the dlc the original dont starve has, there solution to seeing the same thing over and over is basically making a whole new experience for people to enjoy and learn all over again. Shipwreck being harder for its resources spread out, and hamlet for having you to rely on the pigs, for a world where you are deprived of from your normal resources you take advantage of. 

Dont starve together being more forgiving:

Now hear me out for saying this but I think that Dont starve together is more calm on punishing the characters from it being a story point of view then it being game wise! Notice the new difference in the atmosphere of dont starve and dont starve together for my first point the music! Notice how in dont starve together the autumn work music and combat has changed. The new one gives a more serious but catchy, and playful orchestra music. While the old one was sort of eerie, and unknown but still playful experience. Well I say from a view point of the story the characters have finally finished learning mistakes from the original dont starve where you were alone knowing nothing of the world and fearing your life in every corner, to now, the characters expecting what they can out on the constant and getting used to it. Evolving and building a civilization. To help my point Willow a poor girl who was mentally Ill enough to light stuff on fire, even at her own life, now has bernie as a coping mechanism for her troubles life has given her!

events:

Dont starve together the characters seem to put tradition in their lifestyle, even enough to make and wear costumes and hats of the creatures they once feared and fought, meaning their is a culture in their world. Nobody and I seriously mean nobody would be trapped in a wilderness land and just go, "oh! Hey, Halloween is almost here! Better put on my costume of my internal nightmares."  Now the survivors are celebrating winters feast sleeping under trees, and celebrating the Chinese new year even playing a friendly match against the pig king and his guards. Meaning the game now sees us as a species of the world. A creature, just like everything else.

character interactions in the newest trailers:

let's see the trailers from dont starve hamlet and turn of tides. Look at wilson in the hamlet one, he is scared and constantly getting harrassed by everything coming his way even when things are finally coming his way, even a point of shipwrecked at the end of the teaser when wilson lands back on shore he gives the face of lost hope as he returns on the island he thought he escaped from. In dont starve we sort of get new things but more as of an approach of something brand new, we the player were here before these things came. Including the feel of the turn of tides trailer when we see the horror hound and moon pengull, with the music's creepy, and shocking tone giving a "this is new" then dont starves original "Oh god! Everything wants to kill me!" Vibe

I'm going to make this short since my actual talk ( a kinda crappy one )was one the review which inspired me to make this one.

What I'm saying Is maybe there is a reason to things that we truly dont know yet or maybe we haven't seen the whole side of the story yet, I fear that the community arguing what is right for the game will be so enflamed that the devs might just quit the game or be disappointed in all of us, so please let's all join together as a community and cherish this game we all know and love, and thank you for viewing.

DS Together didn’t release until 2017, we are almost into 2020 and still have yet to receive any significantly large game updates.. you can’t really count the limited time events- because those aren’t playable anytime you desire like ROG, Shipwrecked, Hamlet DLC expansions for the original game.

the first significant update seems to be Return of Them: Turn of Tides.

The game could use some much needed gameplay variety- for example I’ve unlocked a profile portrait for what appears to be some sort of Volcano Golem monsters which sure it looks cool.. but apparently these creatures were only in the game for some limited time event I missed out on playing. 

The Portrait in question has been linked- 

C33BDA38-9444-4A04-9C86-74D8359DCD86.jpeg

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

[snip]

First I'm going to correct your dates.The official release day for Don't Starve Together was in 2016, and you've been able to play the early access dst since 2014. You can see the version history here: https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Don't_Starve_Together/Version_History

I would argue we've got significant updates even before the Turn of Tides. We got new bosses and caves and the whole New Reign thing when Charlie took over Maxwells throne. And I am counting the limited time events too because they offer some much needed variety in the normal playing experience. Most of the events are seasonal, like Winter's Feast. It's a holiday and it wouldn't make sense if it was holiday every day, so I think it's perfectly fine these are limited time events. You can still play these events whenever you want if you just set your server's event options for the Hallowed Nights or the Year of the Pig King etc . If you want to switch between the seasonal events without creating a new world there is a mod that allows you to do so.

Now the portrait you mentioned is from the Forge. There has been two events like it, The Forge and The Gorge, and you can't play them whenever you want because Klei was hosting the servers for those events. Obviously that costs money and the servers can't be kept on endlessly unless we'd have to pay to enter them. I miss those events and hope we'll eventually get them back, but if you'd like to test Forge now try out the Forged Forge -mod. The experience is pretty original and you get to host the game yourself. Although I'd suggest you learn to play it with your friends. Other all-year-round-forgers can be really salty and straight out mean to newbies... Be warned.

So go ahead and play all the events you like, everything except the gorge is within your hands. All you're going to miss is the additional skin drops from the actual events and it doesn't have any effect to the actual playing.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Specifically on consoles dude- DST did not come out on Xbox One until 9/13/2017..

K, but you didn't specify you're a console player. You can use xbox controllers on pc too and it looks like your screenshot.

That’s been my whole arguing point man the entire time I’ve been here- Console players didn’t really get to enjoy these events that you speak of because they couldn’t get them approved through consoles painful certification process in a timely matter therefore Console players ended up underserved with them-

FBD79B6B-DAAB-45A8-B490-3529A5DE65DC.png

Really all I want is for Klei to step in and instead of trying to spend costly money in rerunning the events, simply just start adding new biomes to the core game and add in these creatures & monsters that were part of these events to the base game world. The new Islands in Return of Tides with the new creatures on them is the closest thing console players have to new creatures & biomes to fight & explore.

it shouldn’t be too hard to start doing right? They already done the hardest part of animating and writing the script for them to be in the game.

in that same light- they could also start porting over some of the Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLC enemy mobs, such as the Jungle Biomes with the snakes and primal monkeys, and the weird walking piranha plants from Hamlet.

3 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Apparently A New Rigin is not an expansion, huh, Klei's not happy with this 

He didn't play DST when it was in early access and probably has no idea how coding works, they  can't just  copy the code from single player game to multiplayer game.

We didn't have caves or anything when DST was  released compared to back then, now there is quite a lot of content.

A new reign was already a part of Don’t Starve Together when it launched for consoles- so again the only Significant update CONSOLE has received since the games launch in September of 2017 is this Return of Tides update in September of 2019. 

Without access to game mods and other things PC players can do we have waited quite a long time for new content within the Console game, so anything and everything they add is like breathing a breath of fresh air into the game for us, even Wortox and Wormwood were new enough to feel like something special.

But as far as actual World Map Content we already had A New Reign at Launch & You can’t really count the limited time themed events, with the new gameplay, monsters and stuff because that content didn’t stay in the game long enough for us console players to truly enjoy it. 

All im asking is that they start adding in the creatures and horrible stuff that wants us all to die that they have already created from past events and expansion packs and make it part of the base gameplay.

hell if I had to I’d even pay 10-15$ for this kind of Expansion to the game!

I have waited For what feels like FOREVER just to get some form of Boats in DST so, so far I am enjoying that for now. 

So, what youre saying is that they should delete the "Uncompromising wilderness survival full of science and magic" marketing tagline from all versions of the game, and replace it with "A compromising wilderness party game full of base building and wacky activities".

What? Lol NO I want the creatures that want you dead from the various other expansions such as Jungle Biomes with Snakes & angry monkeys from Shipwrecked, and the Man Eating Walking plants from Hamlet, and these FIRE Golem things from my profile picture that I’m guessing are from the forge event?? (Idk cause I didn’t get to play it)

that doesn’t sound much like compromising lol.. that sounds like adding more stuff that hates us all and wants us to die.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

FIRE Golem things from my profile picture that I’m guessing are from the forge event?? (Idk cause I didn’t get to play it)

Yeah, Forge dudes. Book Readers could spawn them and they'd attack in a small circle until they're tapped and die.

Pew, pew, pew... woosh, woosh.

1 minute ago, -Variant said:

Yeah, Forge dudes. Book Readers could spawn them and they'd attack in a small circle until they're tapped and die.

Pew, pew, pew... woosh, woosh.

Disappointing, these things looked intimidating and as proven with Woodies new Were-Forms they can always be reworked and made more of a force to be reckoned with.

Imagine a brand new Volcanic Biome that would occasionally and randomly have streams of lava break apart the ground around you and these things could spawn out of lava pools chasing you acrossed the Volcano Biome all while hurling flaming magma rocks towards your face. Yeah.. that’s the idea I was going for with it anyway.

the TL:DR version these creatures look way too cool not to be added back into the game at some point.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What? Lol NO I want the creatures that want you dead from the various other expansions such as Jungle Biomes with Snakes & angry monkeys from Shipwrecked, and the Man Eating Walking plants from Hamlet, and these FIRE Golem things from my profile picture that I’m guessing are from the forge event?? (Idk cause I didn’t get to play it)

that doesn’t sound much like compromising lol.. that sounds like adding more stuff that hates us all and wants us to die.

I wasnt replying to you, you dean dingus.

I mean, NOW I am, but... ah forget it.

9 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I wasnt replying to you, you dean dingus.

I mean, NOW I am, but... ah forget it.

Well, I mean.. I usually press the quote button when I’m replying to someone so as not to confuse the entire forum but yeah. 

Anyways- they sort of already did make DS into “compromising party game as you had stated when they added the No Sweat Mode. What is that you ask??

Uhm- https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Don't_Starve:_Pocket_Edition

bet you had no idea such a thing even existed.. did you?

Don't starve together console edition came out on 2016, it's just that xbox didn't get it until a year later, meaning console did get to play before a new reign came it's just actually we had to wait for pc to finish getting pt1 new reign  until we were able to get the first one and so on. So please don't say console isn't getting any love, or say your speaking on behalf of console as were now literally getting a new currency because of console's problems. Klei said that console was going to be late on stuff due to bugs and working out controls on console,but we never listen, I pray we actually learned our lesson with the bugs that came in on return of them, (one for example crashed a players game whenever they entered the caves, and was not allowed to join back in until the players, was on the surface server, which meant they were technically permanently banned until a rollback before they entered the caves, I even experienced this bug with a friend which caused us to stop playing since we didn't know what happened) literally on day one, there was a glitch where if you joined a friends game using playstation party instead of the actual mode, you would lose all your skins and your world! Everything! All because you decided to join using the more well known mode of playing with friends. So please let us get off of Klei's back just a little bit and let them know there trying hard to support all sides of the table to make sure everyone is well fed. Everyone is different let's not put labels on one another and respect our choices, I cant stand to see another world that has Wolfgang's or WX-78's only allowed in their server...

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well, I mean.. I usually press the quote button when I’m replying to someone so as not to confuse the entire forum but yeah. 

Anyways- they sort of already did make DS into “compromising party game as you had stated when they added the No Sweat Mode. What is that you ask??

Uhm- https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Don't_Starve:_Pocket_Edition

bet you had no idea such a thing even existed.. did you?

Pocket Edition isn't a good comparison for the actual game. That's a scaled down mobile version that has more bugs than all platforms combined. The devs know it's harder to play their mobile version of the game so they gave it No Sweat Mode. No body takes Pocket Edition seriously. It's just a teaser for people to buy the real version on PC or console. 

15 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Pocket Edition isn't a good comparison for the actual game. That's a scaled down mobile version that has more bugs than all platforms combined. The devs know it's harder to play their mobile version of the game so they gave it No Sweat Mode. No body takes Pocket Edition seriously. It's just a teaser for people to buy the real version on PC or console. 

Except many of Pocket Editions no sweat features are now toggle options for the core game when starting a world including but not limited to.. disabling the big bosses like Bee Queen, Bearger, Dearclops, Dragonfly, etc..

turning night off completely so it’s always day, disabling winter and summer effectively ridding your world of Freezing and Overheating elements.

the difference is Mobile made it it’s own mode, on console it’s toggled server options you can select before starting a world.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Except many of Pocket Editions no sweat features are now toggle options for the core game when starting a world including but not limited to.. disabling the big bosses like Bee Queen, Bearger, Dearclops, Dragonfly, etc..

turning night off completely so it’s always day, disabling winter and summer effectively ridding your world of Freezing and Overheating elements.

the difference is Mobile made it it’s own mode, on console it’s toggled server options you can select before starting a world.

Those toggle options have been in the game long before Pocket Edition was a thing. The other motto for these games is "Your world! Your rules!" Scaling the difficulty to your own personal preference has almost always been available. The general consensus is to keep the settings basically default for a "True" experience, but people like different things and might not want to struggle in a game after struggling all day. 

I wouldn’t know, what I do know is that I’ve bought DS at full retail at launch, the Shipwrecked DLC at full retail on launch, DS Pocket Edition for IOS, DS  Shipwrecked Edition for IOS, DST at full retail (because consoles did not get it free by owning DS that was exclusively a PC royalty thing there.. but I don’t mind paying for it it helps Klei to fund stuff like this Return of Them update) I’ve also bought the 3.99$ Item skins for Willows Lighter, Ashley & the Umbrella.

while Money is defiantly the tightest it has ever been for me and my family at the moment, if I still have a few dollars to spare I don’t mind buying item skins at a reasonable price.

i believe I’ve hopefully more than paid my share of cash into helping develop and fund the upcoming reworks and content updates.. because rather your a hardcore gamer or a casual gamer, there’s a unique charm to DS that draws players in once they actually give the game a chance.. 

Archived