Problem: Sailing in Summer and Spring

At the moment, sailing in Summer and Spring is not viable. In Spring, unless you have a lightning rod on board, your boat will probably get shot down by lightning. In Summer, unless you have an Ice Flingomatic on board, your boat will probably catch fire.

Space on your boat is limited, and you don't want to waste a big chunk of it on an item that is only useful for one season. 

One easy solution, is to have items on boats not smoulder in summer. This is just logical, because the smouldering mechanic is there to create summer wildfires. So logically, on boats this shouldn't be a thing. 

I've thought of other solutions, with the implementation of new items:

- Scaled boats (fire proof boats): using the Dragonfly's scales, you can craft a boat that is fire proof.

- Lightning rod and Ice Flingomatic boat buoys: So these are items that are tied by rope to the boat and float in the water. They work just like their land equivalents, but they are slightly smaller and follow the boat around (being pulled by the rope). 

Lightning rod and Ice Flingomatic backpacks: so similar to the insulated backpack, it's a backpack that has an additional function. The Flingomatic backpack could throw snowballs while you walk, while the lightning backpack has a lightning rod on it that attracts and absorbs lighting strikes. I like this idea, not only because it solves this sailing issue, but also an issue I've had since Day 1 of RoG: I can travel, without the fear of the world being destroyed. So you won't ever loose a cactus to a lightning strike ever again. 

A temporary solution I've found for this problem and utilized successfully is Waterballoons. Easy to get and replenish your supply, don't cost sanity, and have a decent splash radius so a single balloon can handle a fire that started on a boat even if several items are burning.

This in no way means that this problem shouldn't be looked upon. I personally think it's absurd situation when the boat is burning and you can't stop it. I mean, the water is all around you, go fill your hands with it and extinguish the fire that has started. Or maybe have some basic item like Bucket to fill with water and have single use, but returned empty afterwards to be used again.

I just never sail on a boat without a flingomatic on it, lightning rod is cool too if you managed to save place for it

Once my boat burned while I was on a shard of the moon island, didn't even noticed it and it's since this I'll never do the same mistakes. Cause it could very nice to have different sea-sonal (lol) events in the oceans and make spring and summer sailing whortier and fun

Archived