Destroying the indestructable?

I recall reading this thread some time ago, about a legitimate way to remove some of the built-in objects, but that was only in regard to ladders next to the AETNs.  As I prefer to do things legitimately whenever possible, does anyone know if this can be used to remove other objects, such as light fixtures, that have much higher melting points?

I've been trying to think of ways to make this achievable, but I can only think of one machine that can theoretically increase the temperature of something to over the 2400C required to do this--the metal refinery.  Why?  Because it's the only thing that can heat a liquid (or any state of matter) without limitations (I think).  The trick is then finding a liquid that would work for this, or if there even is one.

I've been poring over a spreadsheet of fluids in the game, and there aren't many candidates that would work.  Molten glass and magma, which both can be retrieved from a pipe outlet, vaporize at only ~2357C.  In fact, the only one I can find that remains liquid at 2427C that would also be pumpable (i.e. still in liquid form) below the upper limit of 975C on pumps, is molten aluminum.  Its solidification point of 660C is well within thermium pump range, but its boiling point of 2470C leaves much to be desired.  Still, it's technically hot enough to melt those pesky fixtures, so I think it may be worth a shot.

So has anyone tried this?  How did it go?  What materials did you use for your piping, as that looks to be limited to a few select high-temperature materials (tungsten/obsidian)?

5 hours ago, cblack said:

I recall reading this thread some time ago, about a legitimate way to remove some of the built-in objects, but that was only in regard to ladders next to the AETNs.  As I prefer to do things legitimately whenever possible, does anyone know if this can be used to remove other objects, such as light fixtures, that have much higher melting points?

I've been trying to think of ways to make this achievable, but I can only think of one machine that can theoretically increase the temperature of something to over the 2400C required to do this--the metal refinery.  Why?  Because it's the only thing that can heat a liquid (or any state of matter) without limitations (I think).  The trick is then finding a liquid that would work for this, or if there even is one.

I've been poring over a spreadsheet of fluids in the game, and there aren't many candidates that would work.  Molten glass and magma, which both can be retrieved from a pipe outlet, vaporize at only ~2357C.  In fact, the only one I can find that remains liquid at 2427C that would also be pumpable (i.e. still in liquid form) below the upper limit of 975C on pumps, is molten aluminum.  Its solidification point of 660C is well within thermium pump range, but its boiling point of 2470C leaves much to be desired.  Still, it's technically hot enough to melt those pesky fixtures, so I think it may be worth a shot.

So has anyone tried this?  How did it go?  What materials did you use for your piping, as that looks to be limited to a few select high-temperature materials (tungsten/obsidian)?

there is a mod that lets you destroy anything that was previously not allowed.

Pumps can survive submerged in a too-hot liquid for a while before giving out, pumping several tonnes in the process. The liquid can be stored in vacuum liquid reservoirs without heating them.

But isn't there still neutronium stuff that absolutely can't be heated at all?

3 hours ago, MorsDux said:

there is a mod that lets you destroy anything that was previously not allowed.

Have the name of it or know where I can find it?  I still want to try to melt the stuff, but I think there's one or two things that I can no longer heat up that much without removing a significant portion of my base near them to safely do it.

Edit: Nevermind, found it!

3 hours ago, calibayzone said:

Pumps can survive submerged in a too-hot liquid for a while before giving out, pumping several tonnes in the process. The liquid can be stored in vacuum liquid reservoirs without heating them.

But isn't there still neutronium stuff that absolutely can't be heated at all?

I thought about this, as it makes liquid steel an attractive option with its much higher boiling temperature of ~3827C.  In any case, I'm not attempting to remove neutronium as I know that's not possible without cheating.

51 minutes ago, Enzium said:

Can’t you place a rocket under it? :D

Actually, that's a good point.  However, I'm not sure if even hydrogen rocket exhaust gets hot enough, or will transfer enough heat.  It's worth looking into, in any case.

4 hours ago, calibayzone said:

Agreed. Steel would be a great candidate for the op job. However it's not know if this method satisfies the ops legit condition.

For the pump specifically, there's an easy(ish) way to prevent it from overheating.  You have to build the pump so that it's not directly touching the liquid it will be pumping, so that the plus shaped area that it pulls from has a single tile of your super hot liquid in it.  Then create a vacuum above the liquid surface.  The only heat that will transfer to the pump will be it's own operational heat, which is pretty negligible.  Something on the order of thousands of cycles to reach the overheat temp of even simple materials, isn't it?

14 hours ago, cblack said:

Actually, that's a good point.  However, I'm not sure if even hydrogen rocket exhaust gets hot enough, or will transfer enough heat.  It's worth looking into, in any case.

It's not about the heat, it's about rockets being able to destroy everything in their path ;).

19 hours ago, mathmanican said:

However it's not know if this method satisfies the ops legit condition.

Well I'm going to try it without first, and just use aluminum.  I just need to get some thermium to make it possible, but I'm finally at the point in my game where space is a priority.

10 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

You have to build the pump so that it's not directly touching the liquid it will be pumping, so that the plus shaped area that it pulls from has a single tile of your super hot liquid in it.

Definitely seems like the way to go, if a little cheaty.  But then again, pumping liquids above 975C is already a bit questionable, so if I go that route, might as well!

5 hours ago, Enzium said:

It's not about the heat, it's about rockets being able to destroy everything in their path ;).

I don't think that applies to things duplicants can walk through, e.g. open bunker doors, and thus won't affect the things I want to destroy.  I'm pretty sure at worst that makes them "broken" but still there, waiting to be repaired.  Unless you actually melt them, I think they'll remain.

On 18.08.2019 at 3:48 PM, calibayzone said:

If I remember correctly, there are mini-pumps, they have same 'pump area' as normal pump and as result you can pump out all gases, install a mini-pump over liquid and mini-pump will pump liquid without touching liquid. On the down side, it will eventually overheat from own heat generation, but it will last much longer than normal pump (not important if setup is temporary and there might be ways around that implement 'cooling cycles' where you isolate mini/normal pump from liquid in some way, pump gas in, cool liquid-pump, pump gas out)

The last time I built a mini-pump horizontally above a one cell deep puddle of liquid it insisted 'pump not in liquid', so at least the detection area of the mini pump has been patched. In previous releases a horizontally built mini liquid pump was able to detect liquid in the cell directly below.

Archived