Unlimited pressure

So if you object to unlimited pressure, does that mean you don't use coal generators, petro generators, oil refineries oxiferns, heating water to steam and all the other ways to do unlimited pressure?

I don't understand why people can object to "unlimited" pressure when over half the items in the game support unlimited pressure.

I got nothing against super high pressure. I don`t like exploiting vents to achieve that. Rather than that the high pressure vent could go unlimited pressure.

Also walls and airlocks should break easier when overpressurized. The amount of gasses you can store in small rooms is crazy. Basically walls break when it reaches liquid denisty.

1 hour ago, Aelfled said:

Which is entirely reasonable, if you think about it, because otherwise they couldn't contain liquids

That`s not exactly how pressure works. A tank that can contain water under normal pressure easily explodes when filled with half of the mass of steam. The difference in pressure between phases is pretty large. That`s why steam engines work.

I personally just don't use this mechanic because it completely circumvents an otherwise somewhat challenging problem. Feels like a spoiler. Or, some future game update could render my base obsolete. Pick one.

But I'm not in here asking for anything to be changed, I think it's fine. People get to choose for themselves. This isn't a competitive game.

It's not a mechanic that hurts you when you choose not to make use of it, for example thermal properties of various buildings & materials. I can just skip infinite gas storage and hardly notice the difference.

1 hour ago, avc15 said:

I personally just don't use this mechanic

I believe the following over pressure mechanic was posted by you.

image.png.4c48bd402c2e4fb06aa9437c9a859b

Seems like someone uses a form of overpressure mechanics..... :o.

No worries. I'm just joking around. Have fun ONIing everyone.

8 hours ago, Miravlix said:

So if you object to unlimited pressure, does that mean you don't use coal generators, petro generators, oil refineries oxiferns, heating water to steam and all the other ways to do unlimited pressure?

I don't understand why people can object to "unlimited" pressure when over half the items in the game support unlimited pressure.

There is a difference between having things that can trigger a supposedly unfair exploit and actually purposefully exploiting it.  Most people do not end up with super pressurized rooms with these buildings unless they do it by design.

Back in the day, there was a bug called the drip cooling bug, where pouring small amounts of water on tiles would delete heat.  It effected everyone who ever moved water, but some maximized the exploit in the form of the borg cube.  I did not like that bug, so I avoided cooling things with flowing water and never built a borg cube in survival.  But I did occasionally move water, so the bug still effected me and deleted heat.  But there wasn't a way around it without not moving any water ever.

Basically, people who don't like the way the physics works out can say they aren't exploiting it by not building systems that purposefully uses it or relies on it.

I choose to use mechanics and exploits purely on the basis of whether they increase my enjoyment of the game. I have no interest in debates about whether they're "intended" or "realistic".

The ventilation and gas flow mechanics are something I find fun and challenging to work with, so I prefer to keep dealing with them rather than build a system that takes them out of the equation by putting them in a 2x3 box.

On the other hand, my dining room stores food in an infinite amount of food in a single tile reachable through corners. I may build a proper food warehouse in a future base, but I didn't have space for it this time around and didn't want to renovate the entire base (4 way symmetry for lyfe!) for it.

1 minute ago, QuQuasar said:

I choose to use mechanics and exploits purely on the basis of whether they increase my enjoyment of the game. I have no interest in debates about whether they're "intended" or "realistic".

The ventilation and gas flow mechanics are something I find fun and challenging to work with, so I prefer to keep dealing with them rather than build a system that takes them out of the equation by putting them in a 2x3 box.

On the other hand, my dining room stores food in an infinite amount of food in a single tile reachable through corners. I may build a proper food warehouse in a future base, but I didn't have space for it this time around and didn't want to renovate the entire base (4 way symmetry for lyfe!) for it.

I couldn't say it better. All the same for me !

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

There is a difference between having things that can trigger a supposedly unfair exploit and actually purposefully exploiting it.  Most people do not end up with super pressurized rooms with these buildings unless they do it by design.

I disagree with your statement in that I don't think you have to do it by design in order to over pressure something.  For example, if you build a bunch of algae terrariums such that in combination they're producing more oxygen than our dupes are breathing, your base as a whole will over-pressurize without the necessity of design.  
In other words: If you're a new player and you don't look at the numbers, its very easy to accidentally over-pressurize your base.  For example: You've built a couple terrariums, but you're still seeing "Insufficient oxygen generation" so you build some more.  You're still getting it, so you add a couple more.  Then you decide, "Fine!  I'll just spam a bunch of them!"  Finally the 'insufficient oxygen' error goes away and you're happy and on your way.  ... ...and a dozen cycles later all your dupes have popped eardrums.

And that's only one possible way to end up with an over-pressurized room without any intentional design involved.  The new player isn't TRYING to create an over-pressurized room.  They just want the error to go away.  I've read several posts on this forum where new players have accidentally over-pressurized a room -- sometimes gas, sometimes liquid.   How many of you have used a recirculating cooling loop on a metal refinery, filled it with water, smelted steel.. and promptly forgotten about it until you suddenly have a room full of high-pressure high-temperature steam?  It is an established mechanic of the game that can lead to major problems -- or you can create a design that uses the mechanic in a way that is beneficial to you.

Additionally, the new world generation system itself creates instances of over-pressurized rooms.  In one base, I have a geode filled with close to 600kg/tile of natural gas.  In another base, I have a pool of oil that flooded a significant area because I didn't realize it was over-pressurized before I dug into it.  In yet _another_ base, I have a peculiar pairing of geysers that have managed to cause one to never go over-pressure. 

So, the TL;DR:  Some buildings can create over-pressure situations without the need to design it that way.  Some world generation components intentionally create over-pressurized regions.  Some bad engineering choices can result in disastrous over-pressure situations.  The player does not need to design something to end up with super pressurized rooms.

On the other hand, if you want to turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone... 

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

in my last base main power plant (cycle 25xx) is a large area (whole left bottom side of the map)  filled with hot CO2 (30kg up,just because it very hot and I need to seal the heat at 600 cycle.I did occasionally break the sealing to release Co2 of doom.even with 4 skimmer running full time I could only bring it back to 20kg before I quit the map....

IMO it is very common room design to seal machine avoid gas mixing(that power room have some H2 and O2 pocket I never want to deal with lol)

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

they're producing more oxygen than our dupes are breathing, your base as a whole will over-pressurize without the necessity of design.  
In other words: If you're a new player and you don't look at the numbers, its very easy to accidentally over-pressurize your base.  For example: You've built a couple terrariums, but you're still seeing "Insufficient oxygen generation" so you build some more.  You're still getting it, so you add a couple more.  Then you decide, "Fine!  I'll just spam a bunch of them!"  Finally the 'insufficient oxygen' error goes away and you're happy and on your way.  ... ...and a dozen cycles later all your dupes have popped eardrums.

I will add deodorizer as the most common eardrums killer,i just shoot up to 4k when moving p.water.

Archived