My idea for WX's refresh

Now, while most people don't think that WX needs a rework.. I think otherwise.

The main issue with WX is that he doesn't have any way to truly support the team, he more plays as a solo character that is able to explore the world freely and quickly.
But, the MAIN issue.. and I think we've all encountered this.. Are WX gear hogs.. The WX's who join in the world and instantly ask for all of the gears, or just start eating them without asking.
While I mained WX for a few months, I can say I've never done this.. but that doesn't mean that I haven't seen others do this.

My main suggestion is to remove the ability to eat gears, as.. well.. it only helps himself, and not the team.
Now obviously we can't just remove this ability and call it good.. that would ruin WX as a character, But, I also don't have what I feel to be a "fitting" alternative.
But even then, I will try to list my suggestions that could replace this gear hog ability.

Suggestion 1: Gem socketing.
While this doesnt fit with the character or lore, it could be a decent idea.
The wx could socket a gem into either their armor slot, or a special new slot. And the gem that was imputed could has a temporary effect. And this effect would either work until the gem wore out, essentially giving it a time limit. Or, only while the gem was in the armor slot, giving a risk/reward without using up the gems.

My ideas for what the gems could do are as followed:
Red Gem: Creates a small heat aura around the WX, which can heat players nearby as well as himself
While this could be a little too strong, basically making him a portable and cheap scaled furnace. it could be nerfed by making the temperature output not as high and/or not letting it produce light

Blue Gem: Creates a small cooling aura around the WX, cooling players but not providing light. The other option could be to make him as a weaker fridge, where all of his slots. Where it could be a fraction of the strength of a fridge, but it slows the spoiling of food in all of his slots

Purple Gem: While I have not created a satifying idea for the purple gem, my current idea is that it would work as a nightmare amulet, where it would make the WX instantly insane. Obviously this has its flaws, feel free to share your own idea for this one.

Orange Gem: Creates a speed aura around the WX, speeding both him and any player nearby by a small amount. Could also increase item pickup speed. The speed boost wouldn't be strong, but could be a 10-20% boost

Green Gem: Either lets the WX craft things for slightly cheaper, or let them craft items faster. Another idea is that it could let the WX craft things that they have not prototyped yet. This would not let them prototype them, but rather just let them craft while the gem is socketed.

Yellow Gem: The WX would emit light as if he was super charged, but without the speed boost.

Now... Obviously half of these ideas are lacking.. but thats why im throwing them out there, for maybe some of you guys could suggest better ones.

Suggestion 2: Clockwork Alliance

The Wx would be able to make an alliance with clock works around the map using either gears or some other method, as well as maybe craft more in some manner. The wx could then use these clockworks to help them.
Ideas are that
Knights could be used as just normal combat helpers like pigs or maxwell's spear shadow minions.
The Bishops Could be used the same as knights, but they would have their range attacks to strike down more difficult monsters.
And the Rooks would be able to charge at monsters, or even charge through large clusters of trees and rocks to help with gathering.

They could either be allied by giving them a gear, or a frazzled wires trinket. And the alliance could last around half a day or a full day, and could be extended with more wires.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Thank you for taking the time to read this. While im not fully serious about these ideas. (as in i dont demand these are included) its more of a way to stir up ideas in the community that could help WX become a more team focused character and not just a lone wolf that steals gears to survive. Please feel free to give your own ideas or suggest changes to these ideas in the comments.
While yes. WX doesnt NEED a rework.. and doesn't need a buff per say. But his playstyle does not perfectly fit with a team setting. Maybe his ability could play off of his "scout" style with his fast speed and not having to worry about spoiled food. But the gear eating ability just does not help the team effectively

Yes! I'm glad you did this, I wanted to try and make a topic about this earlier, but I was feeling depressed and had no ideas.

I whole-heartedly agree that his gear munching is pretty annoying, and needs to be removed, but I think he still needs to retain his upgrading mechanic. It is like... one of the major things about him. Maybe some other difficult to craft item exclusive to him would need to be made?

I think the gem socketing idea is pretty cool. Definitely not something that would've come to mind for me, creative indeed! The only major flaws I see with it is that if the gems aren't consumed, it could be kind of overpowered, and if they ARE consumed... then he's munching gems now, instead of gears...

Clockwork alliance I think is a neat idea! I like the idea of being able to craft and befriend these little guys. I'll go more in-depth with why I like it in a moment.

Here are my proposals:

Yes, definitely remove his gear munching, and replace it with some type of craftable that upgrades him. Or maybe as time progresses, he could upgrade on his own. Not sure which I'd rather go with, but gear munching definitely needs to be canned.

And I think that as a result of that, maybe he could have his own way to create gears, perhaps. This could tie in to your idea of being able to create Clockwork allies. Not too overpowered, I imagine it would need to be quite difficult, we all know how iffy things can get when you can just make gears.
Maybe that and craftable allies could be in their own crafting tab. Although we obviously don't want another Winona situation on our hands... Maybe the craftable gears thing could be wiped, in favor of making his allies with other materials.

I think that potentially, his charging ability could have a way to be more.. forced. Without a Wickerbottom. Assuming that doesn't get changed shortly. Perhaps he could make his own hat out of Volt Goat horns that acts as a lightning rod. No one else should be able to wear it though, since they can't have things plug into their heads. And also I don't think they'd want lightning directly pinpointed through the center of their skull. (If you wanted to be funny you could make absorbing lightning as a non-WX with the hat to be insta-death)
As a result, maybe his charged state should be just a bit less powerful? Less infinitely stackable, perhaps. Less HP gain, less sanity loss. Less warmth.

Food spoilage perk? Keep it. Doesn't need to be touched.

I think WX-78 needs more... noteworthy downsides. All he has currently is his short circuiting, but I think it needs to be turned up a notch. It should do maybe 1 or 2 damage per zap instead of 0.5, or whatever it is. Also maybe make it so that he gets extremely scaredy and stressed out on boats, and loses sanity for it.

I'm out of ideas..

14 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

I think WX-78 needs more... noteworthy downsides. All he has currently is his short circuiting, but I think it needs to be turned up a notch. It should do maybe 1 or 2 damage per zap instead of 0.5, or whatever it is. Also maybe make it so that he gets extremely scaredy and stressed out on boats, and loses sanity for it.

While yes, He does need a bigger downside. I feel that forced damage doesn't really do much.
Taking forced damage from rain does not really change his playstyle. While yes it is quite the downside, there isnt too much you can do to counter this other than just progressing in the game.

But the being scared of water could be a good downside instead. While losing sanity could be seen as an upside for some, the stress factor could have an effect, maybe preventing him from doing certain actions on/around water or while wet. This would be able to change his playstyle slightly. But it does prevent him from doing the typical world tour around the coast to reveal the map.

Just now, DarkPulse91 said:

While yes, He does need a bigger downside. I feel that forced damage doesn't really do much.
Taking forced damage from rain does not really change his playstyle. While yes it is quite the downside, there isnt too much you can do to counter this under than just progressing in the game.

But the being scared of water could be a good downside instead. While losing sanity could be seen as an upside for some, the stress factor could have an effect, maybe preventing him from doing certain actions on/around water or while wet. This would be able to change his playstyle slightly. But it does prevent him from doing the typical world tour around the coast to reveal the map.

It's really difficult to think of a good downside for WX. Maybe instead of it just being forced damage, it'll make him act different, making him malfunction past a threshold. This would really give you an incentive to not gain wetness, since having WX fail to do tasks at random, and be unable to say anything besides "BLRLRRZZ." "ERRORRRR" or "*zap*".. would really make it a more detrimental downside. His voice could get all warbly and annoying. That on top of both the annoyingness of wetness already, and fear of water, could make it a pretty major downside. The only major issue with it is that it's practically entirely negated past the first winter...

4 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

The only major issue with it is that it's practically entirely negated past the first winter...

Yeah this is the inherent flaw with any downsides that have to do with rain/wetness, is that the downside completely goes away when waterproof.. and with warly's new frog dish, WX wouldn't have to sacrifice a equipment slot to be waterproof. Essentially removing his downside completely.

2 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Yeah this is the inherent flaw with any downsides that have to do with rain/wetness, is that the downside completely goes away when waterproof.. and with warly's new frog dish, WX wouldn't have to sacrifice a equipment slot to be waterproof. Essentially removing his downside completely.

The cheap and cheeky thing to do would be to make it so that WX has natural negative water resistance. But that would probably be pushing it at that point.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

They kind of did that with wagstaff, so that could be tweaked in the future.57a2a6fdf350d_arielcasualshrug.png.a442eaccc7d800078e23056c919d38e4.png

Im talking about on the HUD. The screen warping and getting more distorted could be replaced with artificial screen tearing, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Canis said:

Im talking about on the HUD. The screen warping and getting more distorted could be replaced with artificial screen tearing, perhaps?

This would be a great downside, but there is the fact that any "Visual downsides" could be removed using mods. Much like how i personally remove the insanity screen effects due to it giving me headaches

1 minute ago, DarkPulse91 said:

This would be a great downside, but there is the fact that any "Visual downsides" could be removed using mods. Much like how i personally remove the insanity screen effects due to it giving me headaches

Sounds like the complaint people had toward Wormwood's font.

Just now, DarkPulse91 said:

Im pretty sure Klei has the power to lock any mechanic they want behind a wall, forcing mods to either not be client mods or not touch them at all, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Even still, my original idea would be that it'd be a visual difference from normal insanity and otherwise have no difference in effect, but that *COULD* be molded into a downside.

Just now, minespatch said:

Sounds like the complaint people had toward Wormwood's font.

Nah, I think the insanity effects can be kind of annoying, painful to the eyes too. Have you ever been insane on a winter day?? It's the worst.

6 minutes ago, Canis said:

but that *COULD* be molded into a downside.

It would be a unique downside, but it could be frustrating depending on its execution.
Say if you couldnt see what you are crafting, and you dont know the crafting menu by memory, you could craft the wrong thing on accident. But other things could be that it would be more difficult to see your stats, thus making it harder to judge if you can rush into a situation

So I have a few things to I'd like to say about this.

1. The New Gem mechanic. I think it's neat. I do think it needs tweaking and expansion. For a more fleshed out idea, how about this. When WX has a gem in his inventory, he will "eat" it (he will socket it, but the process to do it will be the same as eating). When He sockets a gem, a gem meter will appear beneath your sanity and will start at 100 and while the meter remains, you will keep the effect. The effect will last 4 min. The gem meter's color will also correspond to what ever gem has be socketed. After the 4 min. the gem will turn into a colorless gem, which will be actually useless.

2. The Gem Effects. I think this is one that you made the gems either to powerful or to weak. I'll instead propose my ideas.

Red Gem: Will give WX a 2/sec. health regen that will stack with jellybeans. It will also improve the life regen from a life giving amulet and bat bat. While I think that the idea of making WX into a actual furnace, it would just entirely negate winter's cold temperatures. 

Blue Gem: Will turn WX into a portable fridge. All of WX's inventory will have the fridges cooling effect, reducing food spoilage and cooling thermal stones. Will also become immune to freezing.

Purple Gem: Will give WX a +25% strength boost, but will become immune to positive sanity. He will literally not be able to regain sanity for 4 min. While it is might be kinda powerful, that's what the gem that's related to the fuel of insanity, thus we should expect something of this caliber.

Green Gem: This essentially will give WX the ability to gain more of some items upon killing/destroying something. This is provide a unique effect that doesn't overshadow another character's perk or become a much easier to use construction amulet, but it does give a effect that is related to the gems core effect and provides a interesting and unique effect.

Orange Gem: Increases the range of picking stuff up, and will teleport up the first 15 items into your inventory. I was also going to suggest adding more to the attack range, but I realized that it also breaks combat based on the range increase.

Yellow Gem: Will give a 15% speed boost, that's it. It's simple but with that simplicity, it provides a further increases WX speed and gives a effect that doesn't outright negate darkness.

Iridescent Gem: Swaps out Sanity for Lunarcy. While this may be a simple effect, it also provides great uses in boss fights. Since the all sanity is inversed with Lunarcy, it essentials gives you a bee queen crown for 4 min.

3) Gear Munching. So I'm conflicted. With gear munching, pubs are more likely to lose all the gears, but without it then a majority of gears lose their worth, especially with how the ruins now give much more gears. My idea? Make it so that it repairs him for 60 Hp, and that's it. It doesn't upgrade him, doesn't give hunger, doesn't pass start and collect 200 dollars, only heals him. It provides a balance that makes gears very useful for WX, but will provide less benefit so that he won't be compelled to just eat all of them to make him statistically superior to to other characters.

4) Upgrades. So without gears upgrading him, what will? Upgrade kits, not a original idea but how about we explore these ideas some more. He will have a max of 8 upgrades, at which point he will say that he is to full for more. These upgrades can improve his stats, if you want them too but they will also provides boosts to non statistical ones. To craft these, he will gain his own upgrade tab to craft these kits. The kits will cost one gear, five gold, and 5 of material that's related to that kit (glands for health, meat for hunger, etc.) .

Armor Plating, Computer Board Expansion, and Stomach Expanding kits. These are fancy names for Health, Sanity, and Hunger upgrade kits. Before continuing, I will say that WX's stats will be reduced back to 100 in each stat. Each kit will increased the chosen stat by 50, each. This does mean that you can have 500 health, hunger, or sanity but at the cost of having 100 in the other ones. The reason for the initial stat reduction, is to establish how they are somewhat on wes tier, or being somewhat terrible. With out it, then they are standard, livable, thus meaning that there is no real downside into specing into one stat.

Casing Upgrade. Will give WX a natural 10% damage reduction, acting the same as the garlic powder boost or wigfrid's defense. This will mean that you can have something like reduce your damage by 95% and then only take 60% of that (natural armor plating for all characters will stop at 60% percent for fairness if anything else gives natural armor).

Improved Leg Reactions. Each upgrade will give 4% boost in speed, maxes out at 24% maximum. Improves his speed even further.

Fuel Efficiency. Will reduce hunger by 5% for each upgrade, 30% maximum.

5) Rain damage. Pitch it, I got a brand new idea.

6) Refuses Revival. So, what does this mean? WX can now also craft a new structure, a robot. What will happen is that you will craft a robot harness, and the you will give gears to the structure and it will slowly build a robot out the gears, like how the fossils build the odd skeleton. Once completed (around 8 gears) it will act as a WX only meat effigy. Once you die, the WX will be left on the ground with gears, but no skeleton, and will immediately be transported to the next available robot. The cavort to this is that when he dies, there won't be a soul. He will just go back to the character select screen if playing with other people/on endless. Otherwise, you will immediately be forced to either rollback or reset the world. This provides a new and essential downside that can't be ignored like the old one, its one that forces you to constantly think about how you can avoid it or how you can prepare for it.  I will admit that it might be a bit harsh, but it also fits well as his role as a soulless automaton.

tl;dr: Here is my new WX perk list

-Can be upgraded with gems and upgrade kits

-Charged by lightning, indifferent to spoilage

-Can only be revived by a fellow robot

Thank you for reading my rework idea, sorry for somewhat hijacking this thread, and have a good rest of your day/night.

i think it'd be cool if gems just dosen't give you obvious upsides, but also downsides?

red gem : flammable items in inventory burns randomly, this could be prevented with dropping "items with little smokes" for a bit

blue gem : campfire and torchs will burn out faster when near/holded by wx78

green gem : if wx78 made tools,armors it would be rather worse than original version. but costs less

orange gem : the hunger will be consumed faster if you keep running ( kinda similar to wilbur )

yellow gem : it flashs once every one minutes, making hostlie mobs to aggro

and yes, with those downsides i dont think gems should be consumed, especially if gem take armor spot

I would like to point out that you're forgetting something

WX-78 was built by Wagstaff. if anyone would build a robot that could make use of the constant's natural resources, then it would be him.

one more thing I'll add though is that the gems should require nightmare fuel to use, as opposed to being used up. otherwise he's gone from chugging gears to chugging gems.

17 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But the being scared of water could be a good downside instead. While losing sanity could be seen as an upside for some, the stress factor could have an effect, maybe preventing him from doing certain actions on/around water or while wet. 

I would be for a downside of him not being able to do some things when n% wet. Maybe not craft things as quickly or even at all? I don't think him losing sanity while being wet or around water is a good idea. It would become more of a buff now that lunar island is a thing.

I'm not sure I completely agree with OP in that he shouldn't be able to eat gears. I realize some people grief that way, but again, we can't build the game around griefers.

I would agree he does need something that makes him more of a team player and a bigger downside. I've been having trouble thinking of one though.

Archived