Do Beefalo ever respawn if they go extinct?

I tried to find out this information elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find a clear answer. All of the beefalo are dead in my current world. Frog rain killed off all of the adult beefalo in heat that spring, and hounds showed up shortly after and killed all of the baby beefalo. I'm pretty sure I've covered the whole map, and there there just don't seem to be any more beefalo anywhere. Will any new ones ever appear, or are they gone from that world forever? I suspect they won't ever come back, but I figured I'd ask, just to be sure.

Either way, in the future, I plan to be a little more careful with the beefalo population if it looks like there's only one herd of them in the whole world. I was a little sad when all the grown up beefalo died, but I was quite a bit more upset to see all of the babies die, too. ;_;

1 hour ago, landromat said:

They have respawn point and will respawn eventually

I don't think this is right, at least not in Don't Starve Together, I wouldn't know about the single player games. When Beefalos, Volt Goats, Rock Lobsters and Merms (Rundown Houses) get extinct, they never return. I guess theoretically It's also possible to kill of all pigmen and bunnymen but as long as there are resources left to build their houses you can revive the population so you really need to dedicate yourself to get them extinct.

For the unfortunate beefalo situation, I think it's fair to use the console to spawn one to rebuild the population as it wasn't your fault, spring is the hardest season imo.

53 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

For the unfortunate beefalo situation, I think it's fair to use the console to spawn one to rebuild the population as it wasn't your fault, spring is the hardest season imo.

It's fine, I'm not making a megabase or anything, I play pretty casually, and I haven't messed around with spawning things manually. And now I know to protect the beefalo more carefully in future games if they're all in one place, since they won't come back if they're all gone. Thank you, though, it's validating to hear that. :)

28 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

It's fine, I'm not making a megabase or anything, I play pretty casually, and I haven't messed around with spawning things manually. And now I know to protect the beefalo more carefully in future games if they're all in one place, since they won't come back if they're all gone. Thank you, though, it's validating to hear that. :)

Also I know you said you've checked around for other herds, but sometimes you can get a forest biome that has a small patch of savanna that can spawn a herd of beefalo. You may have this in your world as it's not too uncommon.

4 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Also I know you said you've checked around for other herds, but sometimes you can get a forest biome that has a small patch of savanna that can spawn a herd of beefalo. You may have this in your world as it's not too uncommon.

Yeah, usually that's in Mandrake Forest-Grassland area.

Also, OP, if you want to protect beefs (or other mobs) from whatever danger, be it Frog Rain, Hounds, Giants, etc - just hop into a Cave when you hear the danger warnings for respective threats. Or, if not mind being a bit cheaty, disconnect and reconnect from server.

c_countprefabs("beefalo")     This might be the console command to tell you how many are in your world.  Others might be better at telling you about the console commands.

Its your world try spawning one and see how long it takes to reproduce and repopulate your world.    

27 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

c_countprefabs("beefalo")     This might be the console command to tell you how many are in your world.  Others might be better at telling you about the console commands.

Its your world try spawning one and see how long it takes to reproduce and repopulate your world.    

c_gonext("beefalo") also works, I think.

If there are 0 beefalo left in a world, I usually just spawn a single beefalo where a past herd was, and just let it sit there. It takes a long time for the beefalo to reproduce since they they only do the dew in Spring.

However, I rarely have to do this because I never intentionally kill every beefalo in a single area, and/or put a herd in massive danger if there's only one to three.

im pretty sure they dont respawn. once killed its over. remember dst is a uncomprommising survival game xD pig skins you can always get from the moonstone and repopulate pigs but with merms, bunnies, beefs, goats, slurtles, rock lobsters... you have to keepp an eye on them so they can repopulate

I know there are provisions for plants to repopulate after being wiped out (once I tried to remove all deciduous trees with the console for gimmick-server reasons but found them regrowing about a week later) but I don't know if those extend to animals. I suspect not in Survival Mode at least, but possibly in Endless Mode? I know Endless has a unique thing for repopulating parts of the DS ecosystem that have been decimated but I'm still not sure if that applies to animals or just plants.

59 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I know there are provisions for plants to repopulate after being wiped out (once I tried to remove all deciduous trees with the console for gimmick-server reasons but found them regrowing about a week later) but I don't know if those extend to animals. I suspect not in Survival Mode at least, but possibly in Endless Mode? I know Endless has a unique thing for repopulating parts of the DS ecosystem that have been decimated but I'm still not sure if that applies to animals or just plants.

i play always in endless mode and they dont respawn. moles, rabbits respawn but not the other. bushes, mushrooms, grass, saplings, trees they all respawn

local function CanSpawn(inst)
    -- Note that there are other conditions inside periodic spawner governing this as well.

if inst.components.herd == nil or inst.components.herd:IsFull() then
        return false
    end

local found = SpawnableParent(inst)

local x, y, z = inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition()
    return found ~= nil
        and #TheSim:FindEntities(x, y, z, inst.components.herd.gatherrange, { "herdmember", inst.components.herd.membertag }) < TUNING.BEEFALOHERD_MAX_IN_RANGE
end

i think this means that the herd (this has come from the an entity is keeps the herd together and spawns more) needs to find a single beefalo to make it spawn more

Just now, -Variant said:

The worst part is I made this a few hours ago and have legit just been sitting here in the corner of my room waiting for a response.

well at least now you know that I get out of bed around this time

Archived