Pocketshell

Pocketshells, sporechilds and grassy moos are some of my favorite flora and fauna.

If you have enough wild ones that's probably better. From their description they shed based on age and not diet. Amass them from the pod or map if you can, tame them if you can't.

2 hours ago, Mutineer said:

Is there any reason to tame it? It seems to eat a lot, but it was 10 kg lime. That looks attractive.

How often it produces 10 kg lime?

One reason (probably only one) to tame it is to breed more of them. But watch out, they eat a lot of polluted dirt. You can`t really sustain them from just the outhouse waste.

It produces "molts" twice during it`s lifetime. One after 5 cycles from hatching it`s 5kg molt that can be crushed into 5kg lime. The other one is produced after it dies (after 100 cycles) this one is 10kg.

Just keeping those things wild gives the same amount of lime exept they just drop 1 egg during their lifetime.

A single water sieve running full time isn't enough for even one tame poke shell. They're not feasible to keep tame, not even if you farm pacu (because fish are not sustainable either).

Running a single water sieve full time would require about 3 polluted water vents (or 6 slush vents). Feeding a single pacu sustainably would require about 8 pufts and you need two pacus fed 100% to feed one poke shell.

Keeping them wild is much easier: stack them all in one tiny room, have a sweeper remove the eggs. Wild critters don't mind overcrowding, they only care about getting cramped which only happens if there are eggs in the room.

EDIT: I totally forgot about ethanol distillers. 3 distillers running full time can support 4 poke shells. I guess it can be sustainable after all.

3 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

EDIT: I totally forgot about ethanol distillers. 3 distillers running full time can support 4 poke shells. I guess it can be sustainable after all.

I was just going to mention this. Adding a 4th distiller will produce enough ethanol to run a petroleum generator full time. The polluted water and CO2 might be enough to bump you up to 6 tame Pokeshells. 

14 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

I was just going to mention this. Adding a 4th distiller will produce enough ethanol to run a petroleum generator full time. The polluted water and CO2 might be enough to bump you up to 6 tame Pokeshells. 

Yes, if you run the sieve off of the output of the 5 pokeshells, it will yield back enough for a 6th.

Pokeshells are a bit annoying to feed though because of the offgassing (constant small supply errands result) and tendency to wound dupes.

16 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Yes, if you run the sieve off of the output of the 5 pokeshells, it will yield back enough for a 6th.

Pokeshells are a bit annoying to feed though because of the offgassing (constant small supply errands result) and tendency to wound dupes.

Yeah. I would wait until I could afford the conveyor system to feed and get rid of the eggs and sand. 

5 hours ago, Nebbie said:

For the off-gassing, you could just leave a skin of Salt Water over most of your Ranch.  Pokeshells don't mind the liquid, and liquids will prevent solids from off-gassing just as easily as 1,800+ kg gas.  Just don't bother with a Feeder, supply the Ranch from a Conveyor Chute.

Archived