about slime/lung germs.

ok so, i don't usually pay much attention to this, but i noticed that there was some strange stuff happening with slime/lung germs. observe:

image.png.703a5dce6e8803e9def9812bec9763e4.pngimage.png.419965c0ee7bd722d43373c9b17f2ddd.pngimage.png.b51c30aee933ec8327c325f5ec55d705.png

ok so there is the slime, 4+million germs.

image.png.8fe98f109fbb997a754e82362f3637c5.pngimage.png.2a8c48ff51dced327ef54a937a08e72d.pngimage.png.caac20d349ad28c96dd83ce41bf1e6ed.png

see how a fraction later it is basically half of the amount of germs...

image.png.3bcd534fb52511590d3aac3e8f035e65.pngimage.png.d25f1894cd2002c038e82c13fd85b8fc.png

and a few moments later:

image.png.c9ebc95b16eecde082b1351a36a57121.pngimage.png.cdb8de70085193e35ab6b737471910cc.pngimage.png.77d95cf2a17cd06907c550251d5a5301.png

and just before the end of the same cycle

image.thumb.png.2ae0a0fbcd8471a1f74a035b58003ced.pngimage.png.253b378d895dcd621da834cd6aebb14f.png

somehow it is all killed off in the space of less than half a cycle. despite being surrounded by MILLIONS of germs and starting with 4+ million germs.

is this a bug? a display error? (as at no point did it become "overpopulated") is it something else?

(sorry for the terrrible layout of pictures. i am trying to show how little time it took for this to happen.)

2 hours ago, angrybovine said:

Food Poisoning is the honey badger of germs.

Actually that's Floral Scents.  It kills Food Poisoning and Slimelung.  And Food Poisoning will kill Slimelung.  Some people even specifically use that feature through their Electrolyzers to defend against Slimelung.

Not sure where Sporechid falls on the ladder.

43 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Actually that's Floral Scents.  It kills Food Poisoning and Slimelung.  And Food Poisoning will kill Slimelung.

It pays to have a dupe with allergies.

Their job is solely to spread more Floral Scents.

51 minutes ago, Yunru said:

It pays to have a dupe with allergies.

Their job is solely to spread more Floral Scents.

I avoided allergic dupes like the plague till now, but given this is true - a dupe can serve as a walking (really miserable) air freshener.

Mind blown!!!

3 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Actually that's Floral Scents.  It kills Food Poisoning and Slimelung.  And Food Poisoning will kill Slimelung.  Some people even specifically use that feature through their Electrolyzers to defend against Slimelung.

I made some tests about it. Floral scents won`t spawn if other germs are in the plant tile. Same goes for sporechid. But the germ confilct is pretty weird. A buddy bud next to a sporechid kept it even for several cycles until it suddenly overpowered the zombie spores and took the germ spot around the plant (but didn`t advnce further) after quite a few more cycles the sporechid fought back and beat the floral scents.

What seems to be happening here is extra mass spawning along with another germ type (which apparently works differently than germs spawning from plants) and the new germs need room so germs occupying the tile get erased. Still it doesn`t explain how the germs die in the slime itself. That shouldn`t happen.

Hold on, you mean a bottle of polluted water with one germ offgassing in a tile with a chunk of debris with another germ on it will somehow sterilize the debris? Can somebody drop a chunk of germy slime into a pool of germy poop water?

BTW, all germs kill all other germs as far as I can tell. If a tile of gas with germ A in it touches a tile of gas with germ B in it both the germ populations will disappear. Doesn't even matter if one is 100 times the population of the other. Never had the chance to watch liquid tiles with mixed germs.

1 hour ago, Darkin Coaled said:

Never had the chance to watch liquid tiles with mixed germs

One element per tile, one germ per tile. Those are rules from heaven, dupes cannot go against it.

1 hour ago, Darkin Coaled said:

a bottle of polluted water with one germ offgassing in a tile with a chunk of debris with another germ on it will somehow sterilize the debris? Can somebody drop a chunk of germy slime into a pool of germy poop water?

A chunk of germy slime won't do, as there is no transition to liquids. You can drop slime into your water supply and nothing would happen.

A bottle of polluted water from the sink at the exit from the swamp though...

11 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:
13 hours ago, angrybovine said:

Food Poisoning is the honey badger of germs.

Sorry if I am a bit offtopic, but I just got an idea for my next "build":

Most of us will come to a point where most oxygen needs are satisfied using piped oxygen.

So my current steps are:

1. Produce the oxygen.
  2. Temperate the oxygen.
  3. Pipe it into my suits or vent it into my base.

=> What if I would introduce an other step on the way?

Did someone already mess with adding floral scent to the oxygen before distribution ?

[I don´t want to deal with plants (inside my base) and vastly different germs counts everywhere.]

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

im being bullied

Sorry about that :?

57 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Did someone already mess with adding floral scent to the oxygen before distribution ?

Have you found a way for them to survive long enough to be piped? They are very fast to die without the plant source.

2 hours ago, abud said:
3 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Have you found a way for them to survive long enough to be piped? They are very fast to die without the plant source.

That´s my current problem, but I only need a few germs to survive in the oxygen to trigger the "smelled flowers" effect.

I can manage to get oxygen packets (1kg) with >10.000germs. but this is just after pumping the oxygen.

[Not sure right now if it is a good idea to place the buddy buds inside a big room with my electrolyzers to minimize pump usage, or if I should produce my oxygen and vent it into a room with buddy buds and pump it again into a pipe. If I add the germs to early they will die off earlier and there are some cases where lower sized packets might kill additional germs (rounding ...).]

Spoiler

Right now this seems like a trade-off between power efficiency and floral scent germ count, but I don´t claim to have tested all possible quirks.

Archived