Airlock, with water. But not waterlock

But it doesn't stop the gas from flowing through with the dupe?

Unless you set it up to drown the silly thing too, but then you need more checkpoints and a wider lock.

Currently you've:

A - Dupe enters

B - Dupe leaves

C - Room is vacuumed

What you need is:

A, C, B, C

6 minutes ago, Yunru said:

But it doesn't stop the gas from flowing through with the dupe?

Yup, it is

6 minutes ago, Yunru said:

What you need is

What I want to do is just instigate better ideas :)

6 minutes ago, Xentios said:

I don't understand would not this let  right side gas to pass on left side?

Yes, it only protects one side. One outside, one inside. Real-world airlock too, gas inside has to go somewhere. Either left or right. Except if I'm going with real-life concept. it will drowning dupes inside. Just like @Yunru said.

1 minute ago, abud said:

What I want to do is just instigate better ideas :)

Well it's given me enough of an idea that I'm on ONI despite the heat. And the heat induced headache. And the heat induced drowzee.

:p

Am I the only one who uses carbon dioxide locks to access two rooms with different gasses that I don't want mixed?

On topic though,

If you want to make it slightly better, you could have a filter system above.  Use a door pump to push the gas to a pump that vacuums up the gas and sends it back to the correct room, but that would take more time and power so depends on how vital that is to you. 

Nice design though.

3 minutes ago, DemainaNyx said:

Use a door pump to push the gas to a pump that vacuums up the gas and sends it back to the correct room

It would defeat the purpose of using water in the first place. Just pump it directly if we want to use the pump.

for airlock, I assume there is one side needs to be sealed.

Since gas will always gets extracted to the left side of the lock thru ceiling, gas bright into doors from the right side will also gets vented out. If rightside gas needs to be sealed and protected, then this will cause gas leak. If left side is the protected side, then gas from the right side will mix into the left side.

It looks to me that as least one side will have gas leak, unless one side is vacuum, or unless gas leak is not an issue. 

31 minutes ago, DemainaNyx said:

carbon dioxide locks

I haven't used CO2 locks a lot. Because I worry that CO2 overfill the bottom and get lost when pressure is low, then it gets compressed when pressure is high, leaving a little space for other gas to go thru. I'm not sure if that's what really happens or just my paranoid. Does it happen?

Hmm, after I think about it, probably I will try to put @Yunru and @DemainaNyx idea together later. Might be seeds for another ideas.

But for now, I need to figure out how to edit animated gif :D

13 minutes ago, goatt said:

[snip] ... Does it happen?

Yes, but only if it drops very low on any side. So we cannot make CO2 lock works with a vacuum. Everything has limitations, as long we use it under those limitations, it is good practice.

13 minutes ago, goatt said:

I'm not sure if that's what really happens or just my paranoid. Does it happen?

I've never seen it happen, but I also use it to separate fairly consistent gas pressure rooms like oxygen filled ladder corridor from a drecko farm.  I have a consistent 2k+ oxygen outside and a consistent 2k hydrogen inside so it never moves.

That or I use it to separate my base from the outside area, so if a little carbon dioxide leaks, it just gets cleaned up by a carbon scrubber or sinks closer to the oil biome 

47 minutes ago, abud said:

It would defeat the purpose of using water in the first place. Just pump it directly if we want to use the pump.

I just know that pumps take a while to vacuum an area, whereas water  and doors can push 10kg of gas quite nicely, so by pushing that gas out of that small area to a pump, it can take however long it needs to vacuum out without stopping the next dupe for too long.  Dupe would still need to wait for the water to fill and leave, but that's it.

5 minutes ago, abud said:

Yes, but only if it drops very low on any side. So we cannot make CO2 lock works with a vacuum. Everything has limitations, as long we use it under those limitations, it is good practice.

You probably know, but I'd like to remind people we can make hydrogen locks as well.

They're a bit slower than water/CO2 locks in terms of travel as they seem to need to be a block taller with a ladder segment, or at least they did last time I used them a few months ago. 

Yeah, I (was) currently working on something that amounted to door; minipump; door; minipump; door; ...

that could make use of it.

Of course, I keep trying to overachieve and make them suitless-friendly, which makes everything... longer.

This is my most favorite airlock idea I’ve ever seen. With only a bit of extra effort, it could be double-side friendly - make a 3rd chamber for the gas that is expelled. With only a bit of effort, it be a good insulator - since the middle door is a vacuum gap.

Nice work!

10 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

So i was wrong. Checkpoints do work under water.

When I read your comment about the flooded checkpoint I didn't believe, I was intent to test it and mention it to you. But I forgot because after testing I'm too excited making Camille drown inside, forgive me.

@Lifegrow, you miss the point. You didn't try to drown Lindsay in your video :D

Joke aside, indeed. And I'm showing the small one originally to draw some heat from another heated thread about airlock vs waterlock that night. But then, @Yunru ideas flowing and I just ride into the flow.

Archived