Bone shards

Is alternative sources for getting Bone Shards needed ?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is alternative sources for getting Bone Shards needed ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should recipes be added using Bone Shards?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should Bramble Traps require more bee stings to create?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Can Bone Shards be used to create Hound's Tooths?

• Yes
    • No

After adding Wormwood, I personally had a question regarding the use of its Bramble Husk. This is a very important thing for him, allowing him not to take damage from his own Bramble Traps. But this armor requires such a hard-to-restore resource as Bone Shards for its creation. Bone Shards is full in the desert biome, there you can score 2-3 full stacks. But after that, Bone Shards can be obtained either by dying (twice) and destroying your skeleton (this is unacceptable with wilderness), which is quite expensive for armor that is worse than wood, or Bone Shards can accidentally fall out of the tumbleweed.
Therefore, I have questions:
1) How should I treat Bramble Husk? Is this regular armor or is it more like clothes for collecting cacti?
2) What should be the price of Bone Shards? In reality, it is a common material in the life of a prehistoric man, from which tools and weapons were made. Maybe Bone Shards will fall from animals (especially those that need to be tracked), harvested from Meat or something else?
3) If Bone Shards can be obtained in large quantities (like branches, stones and flint), does it make sense to put into the game recipes using Bone Shards?
4) Will it be acceptable to make Hound's Tooth out of Bone Shards? In the end, it's all bone.

There are reliable sources of boneshards you had not listed. No-eyed deers are renewable sources of boneshards. Wormwoods personal armor is a niche. Good for occasion like hounds and pengulls, bad for raid bosses. I didn't play him often, maybe he has a strat for creeping shadows in a Fuelweaver fight.

3 minutes ago, axxel said:

There are reliable sources of boneshards you had not listed. No-eyed deers are renewable sources of boneshards. Wormwoods personal armor is a niche. Good for occasion like hounds and pengulls, bad for raid bosses. I didn't play him often, maybe he has a strat for creeping shadows in a Fuelweaver fight.

Thank.
Yes, this is also a source of bones, like Hollow Stump and Hound Mound. But does not it seem that this is too exotic a way to get such an elementary resource? Find a bag, find deer, wait for the winter ... We don’t need to wait for the rainy full moon to chop logs.

1 hour ago, axxel said:

Wormwood's armor great against a lot of any mobs at the same time. It also great against BQ and let you to tank grumble bees (if you dont have wicker or winona in team)

18 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

You can get them from tumbleweeds. Though maybe they should increase the chance to get em.

And how much should you raise the chance of dropping Bone shards? Maybe then you need to rename the tumbleweeds to Boneweeds?

16 hours ago, Hell-met said:

Zombie Moon Mutated hounds should drop guaranteed bone shards.

So, I will not ask what is happening with the hound that Bone shards should start falling out of her bald variant. And just to note that in this case the bones will become equivalent to glass at the price (they are now closer at the price to tulecyte).
In my Bone shards should be “easy come, easy go” material.

But the last word, of course, for the developers.

The most effective way to get Bone Shards is to allow everyone to join your server & set up a trap at the spawn (Spiders, Tentacles, etc.). Most players who join will die while also leaving their skeleton behind for free Bone Shards. You can also keep players who die every now and then and revive them only with telltale hearts to lower their max health and speed up their next death.

Other ways are:

• Hammering bones & naturally spawned skeletons or destroying hound mounds (limited)
  • Harvesting tumbleweeds (3x 0.1% (~0.3%) chance to drop Bone Shard(s))
  • Befriending catcoons (0.8% chance to drop 1x Bone Shard)
  • Killing a horned No-Eyed Deer or using its antler on the Loot Stash (~10 Bone Shards every 70 days)

But this methods grant <1 Bone Shard per day, unlike the player trap.

Getting Bone Shards easily forces players to kill other players, that's for sure not the best way to get them but it feels like there aren't any other ways doing so. In DS:HAM you can get up to ~150 Bone Shards just by killing a single boss.

Early-game: get a friend, get some healing food (or be Wortox), make a bunch of tell tale hearts, and let your friend keep dying and reviving for Skeletons till you run out of Tell Tale Hearts, which is what what I did with a friend via a Magma Pool. If you're mid-to-late game, you can do this yourself with a bunch of Life Giving Amulets.

Archived