Another Warly Topic: Chef's Pouch

From what I've gathered with the people who are willing to listen to me discuss Warly with them for hours on end, one of the big things that seem to be controversial is the chef's pouch. Specifically how to nerf it so it doesn't overshadow the boss drop that is the insulated pack (link to the insulated pack wiki page can be found here)

Some of the nerfs to the chef's pouch are either, make it only usable by Warly, make it ONLY able to hold food (similar to the candy bag from hallowed nights), or even make it only able to hold 4 items like how it was when Warly first crash landed in SW.

However, people never seem to look on the other side of the coin. What if instead of nerfing the chef's pouch, you keep it the same and instead buff the insulated pack. Like I said I don't usually see people use it because more slots are more valuable than insulation, so the 2 less slots than a backpack is a deal breaker. I think as a boss drop it should be a lot more useful than that.

Here are my ideas:

• Keep chef's pouch exactly as it is in singleplayer currently (basically just a backpack with insulation)
  • Make the chef's pouch slightly expensive to craft (to avoid making him another Wigfrid who just dishes out gear)
  • Make the insulated pack have 10 or 12 slots (direct upgrade to the chef's pouch, while still worse than the krampus sack in terms of inventory)
  • While having the inventory space of a piggyback, no movement speed decrease 

Let me know what you think of my ideas
P.S. I apologize for the amount of Warly posts I've been making. I've wanted this character in DST ever since I played as him in SW. My first thought was a healer since food is a great source of healing, but with the addition of Wortox we would get another Woodie & Maxwell dilemma. However I am still eager to see what useful benefits he can bring to the team, so bear with my borderline spammy hype train posts.

The insulated pack should seriously get a buff, it’s flammable, has only 6 slots, and doesn’t even stop ice from melting or cool thermal stones. Plus, it takes 3 times the gold, stone, and gears to make than a normal icebox.  I’d say that it would be reasonable to make it fireproof and have 10 slots. It is ridiculously underpowered for an item that can only be made with thick fur.

Warly's chef pouch isn't the problem, the normal backpack overshadows the insulated pack. The insulted pack needs a serious buff, especially because it uses really valuable resources, for a mediocre item.

insulated backpack is one the least used items UNLESS ...maybe...  and this is a big maybe... you are Wolfgang/Wortox .... that until you get to kill the Bee Queen.... 

the main problem with the backpack is:

• expensive materials vs mediocre benefits
  • burnable (IMO this shouldn't be the case)
  • only 6 slots
  • makes no sense materials vs benefit:
    • icebox (one gear, 2 gold nugget, one cut stone) / 9 slots / cools stuff down
    • insulated backpack (3 gears, 3 doodads, 1 bearger pelt) / 6 slots / maintains food durability the same as in icebox 
  • and then we got bundling wraps.... 

I think Warly should have a really good Chef's Pouch, since he is a very difficult character to play well. He must constantly have so much food in the inventory, so he needs a lot of space. 
I think the Chef's Pounch should be as big as a Krampus Sack. This is not a problem: just do that Warly is the only one who can wear it.
Because Warly has to cook often and very different dishes, for him and for the team, he could always have up to 4-6 different ingredients. The other characters can go on with only 1 slot occupied by the food, but Warly cannot afford it, if he wants to avoid malus and wants to prepare "exotic" foods for the team to help his companions.
So, even though a Chef's Pouch as big as a Krampus Sack may look really good, Warly will actually always use half or less slots to cram objects. A non-Warly character will probably always have more free space. Warly must also bring them the portable crock pot, don't forget it.
As for the insulated pack, it is a sub-optimal object. It should be at least a direct upgrade of the backpack, but to be balanced at cost (survive for a year, kill the Bearger, get three gears) it should have at least piggyback space, which is much easier to build, almost at the beginning of the game.

I would love to see an update that would buff/rework the many useless items the game has. I would say more than half of the crafts we are offered in this game are pretty much never used (or used only once), and for a good reason. I would specifically like to mention the Insulated Pack, the Fire Staff, the Fur Roll, the Night Light, the Night Armor, and the Belt of Hunger. These are all awesome concepts that have a lot of potential, but, sadly, their functionality is severely lacking as there's either no need to use them at all or there are simply better alternatives.

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

I think Warly should have a really good Chef's Pouch, since he is a very difficult character to play well.

I'm actually on board with making Warly a difficult character to play. I'd like to see him as a character who sacrifices the player's ease in exchange for huge team support. I don't mind having his chef's pouch be a backpack. Just means that when bearger shows up, the Warly player should get first dibs on the fur (provided that the insulated pack isn't an awful item by the time Warly is released)

8 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

what if as a side bonus food within it cannot be rotted by toadstool?

I love it, on top of a huge boost in inventory of course.

How about reworking the chef pouch into something different? What I mean is, Klei has already implemented through Wheeler the in game mechanic to add inventory slots to unconventional items. In Wheeler's case you can add objects into an inventory slot that is inside another item (the pewmatic horn, for example)

My idea is the following: make the chef pouch an actual chef hat, that you equip on your head, and has 2 inventory slots, allowing only the storage of food/perishable items (the same restriction ice boxes have) and making any item stored in it to take longer to spoil.

As a completely different subject, I agree that the insulated pack needs a strong buff since its currently a ridiculously expensive and useless item. But with this idea the chef pouch would fill an entirely different (and unique) role.

Seems like everyone agrees and i do too, Insulated Pack does require a buff.

Changes with the pouch, i might either make it cost a lot to craft. But can be equipped to others, or cheap but only given to Warly.

I don't mind you making these, Warly is a pretty cool character in the Shipwreck DLC. So i do hope he's fun and effective in DST.

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

My idea is the following: make the chef pouch an actual chef hat, that you equip on your head, and has 2 inventory slots, allowing only the storage of food/perishable items (the same restriction ice boxes have) and making any item stored in it to take longer to spoil.

make a downside that makes him randomly move in random directions with a confused face animation and sanity loss if he wears a hat with a rabbit inside

13 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Only two inventory slots? While I stated above that I want Warly to be difficult in exchange for great team support, I think that is too low. Even if it can be paired with a backpack, I still would rather have less inventory slots in total, but more of them be insulated to fit his playstyle. It would be great after the first autumn when paired with a (hopefully buffed) insulated pack, however I still think it is just unconventional.
That being said Warly needs a chef hat reskin of some hat. Maybe top hat reskin?

Archived