Positive sides of Hamlet

inferjus4

As we let Klei know that we are quite disappointed with Hamlet, let's talk about the good sides of this DLC. I will start:

-mobs with well designed fight style - mobs such as Royal Guard or Scorpion have unusual attacks and/or are hard to kite. I like it, because kiting mobs is overall quite easy to learn and usually all you had to do was just hit the enemy, run away, hit him once again and again run away

-Pig Cities - that one is an obvious one, but Pig Cities affect the gameplay so much it would be a sin to not place it there.

-Aporkalypse - the idea of special and unique season is pretty interesting. Aporkalypse is quite empty and lacks in content that would make it more endearing, but the concept of an event that is avoidable, but when happens it brings destruction and special rewards is winsome.

-Ruins and houses - another one quite obvious positive. A possibility to create and explore mazes made of simple rooms is a simple concept, but very charming at the same time. Unfortunately, Ruins just like Aporkalypse lack in content to explore but are also appealing.

-inviolable biomes - Deep Rainforest is a biome that can not be affected by player in any significant way. The turf can not be removed or replaced, Giant Trees are not to be cut and the Rabid Beetles are spawned there in giant amounts. Personally I like the idea of a biome that is just immune to player's actions.

What do you like in Hamlet DLC? Please write down below!

PS There is the same thread in Don't Starve - General Discussion tab, but I wanted to create it here so more people will see it and reply to this thread.

7 minutes ago, SakkeEU said:

The new characters are 10 times better than the ones we got from SW. 

The bosses are cool and interesting, they don't respawn though.

Only Mant Queen does not respawn, Pugalisk, Iron Hulk and Herald respawn.

Hamlet looks fantastic and has several fun/cool new mobs like snaptooths and vines. 

Merged crafting and the ability to build incredible bases using items from all the DLC and the unique character abilities of the new characters.

Hamlet is also harder than the base game and DST. No touchstones, resources more rare, RNG that forces you to use your knowledge of the game to come up with alternate solutions to problems and to world jump.

Hamlet is a great offering for longtime players who want a bit more challenge and more options at the endgame (I.e., megabase building and farms).

Well yeah, the content thats there is great (for the most part), the problem is that its just unfinished.

I personally hate the house stuff, it goes against one of the original design rules of Don't Starve, it creates a safe space and turns what should be a harsh wilderness into a home. On the other hand, it's mostly isolated to a DLC expansion, and its easy enough to ignore.

15 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Well yeah, the content thats there is great (for the most part), the problem is that its just unfinished.

I personally hate the house stuff, it goes against one of the original design rules of Don't Starve, it creates a safe space and turns what should be a harsh wilderness into a home. On the other hand, it's mostly isolated to a DLC expansion, and its easy enough to ignore.

Well, that's true, the house is a safe spot where nothing can harm you, but at the same time you have to explore the world so you can not just stay here and do nothing.

6 hours ago, inferjus4 said:

-Aporkalypse - the idea of special and unique season is pretty interesting. Aporkalypse is quite empty and lacks in content that would make it more endearing, but the concept of an event that is avoidable, but when happens it brings destruction and special rewards is winsome.

eh the idea is cool but it really doesn't have anything to stand on. Herald's cool but slow and can barely attack you, mants changing is cool but they do nothing, the hulks activating seems like it might lead to something but it doesn't, increased bat waves is stupid and never needed to be a thing, and a bunch of the other minor tweaks like 10 lightning bolts from thunderbirds are neat little changes which I feel the aporkalypse needs more of, plus some bigger ones.

25 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

eh the idea is cool but it really doesn't have anything to stand on. Herald's cool but slow and can barely attack you, mants changing is cool but they do nothing, the hulks activating seems like it might lead to something but it doesn't, increased bat waves is stupid and never needed to be a thing, and a bunch of the other minor tweaks like 10 lightning bolts from thunderbirds are neat little changes which I feel the aporkalypse needs more of, plus some bigger ones.

I wrote that idea of special, unique season is great but Aporkalypse lacks in content and features.

Hamlet has introduced one of the coolest monster concept in Dont Starve in my opinion.

The snaptooth seedling and its evolution is such a cool concept. I know its not the most original thing ever, but in the world of don't starve, its so well designed i just love it. The fact that you can use em to your advantage as defense among other thing is just so cool.

-Being able to farm rocks and Living Artifacts like hell by telelocating all the Iron Hulk pieces to the BFB Island.

-Having a 3rd, expendable DLC to worldhop forever with, farming building materials and resetting the Volcano and Ruins in my other DLCs.

7 hours ago, Computer-7 said:

I wish hamlet had more nonrenewable resources just to give world hopping more of a purpose. something like volcano loot or the ruins(normal ruins).

I think being able to tear down all the Hamlet cities for resources to make your own is enough incentive to world hop, but otherwise yeah. There really isn't any unique non-renewable items, there's treasure but that kind of becomes useless once you have a self-sustaining city.

10 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I think being able to tear down all the Hamlet cities for resources to make your own is enough incentive to world hop, but otherwise yeah. There really isn't any unique non-renewable items, there's treasure but that kind of becomes useless once you have a self-sustaining city.

the royal stuffs are nice to have as decorations.

9 hours ago, Ornge said:

Pugalisk and ancient hulk are some of the funnest bosses to fight. They break the "Dodge my attack and then hit me, repeat" bosses from the other docs

They are like some of the boss fights from DST, but better.

29 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Queen Womant is a better version of Bee Queen, but what about the other bosses? Who do they replace?

I wouldn't say replace, per say.

DST boss fights were much more complex, which was a good thing. It stopped the pattern of "dodge attack, hit 3 more times, repeat".

But also a bit too complex for their own good, especially if you'd be going solo.

Hamlet boss fights have the best of two worlds really. Bosses aren't as tanky so the fights are shorter, and due to the more complex fighting pattern you actually have to equip yourself before engaging.

3 minutes ago, Roosev said:

I wouldn't say replace, per say.

DST boss fights were much more complex, which was a good thing. It stopped the pattern of "dodge attack, hit 3 more times, repeat".

But also a bit too complex for their own good, especially if you'd be going solo.

Hamlet boss fights have the best of two worlds really. Bosses aren't as tanky so the fights are shorter, and due to the more complex fighting pattern you actually have to equip yourself before engaging.

They are for sure more challenging and original (finally no Deerclops copies), and that is what I like.

one thing i don't get they removed Warbucks because he was "bland uninteresting and not fun at all"

but they left the fog mechanic in...

I beg for consistency seriously one removal that would better the game in every way would just remove the fog

2 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

one thing i don't get they removed Warbucks because he was "bland uninteresting and not fun at all"

but they left the fog mechanic in...

I beg for consistency seriously one removal that would better the game in every way would just remove the fog

Let's keep this thread free from complainments, ok?

What about the scenery? It feel so lively, you can feel the dread when walking into the poison forest, the tension when running in the deep jungle, the calm of those pond and the waterfall, the safety in hamlet town and city, it feel so much better than SW, which translate anything into "yep, that's an island".

Archived