Cut them some slack!

woodchip

Over the years Klei has always been an extremely loving, generous, and attentive development team. they have given us so many of the games that we all love. That isn't to say they are perfect, no, no one is perfect, but as far as developers go they are pretty close. Keeping that in mind, even though we may not have gotten absolutely everything we desired from the Hamlet DLC, we should be grateful for the extra content we did receive. Hamlet was supposed to release a while ago, but it was postponed to add more content, which we received tenfold. I personally am completely fine with Hamlet as it is right now, I understand that some people might be frustrated and maybe feel a little jipped, but given Klei's history I highly doubt they meant to simply drop the project like a hot potato and rip people off. If Klei has legitimately a blunder in the development process then of course voice your opinions, that is what Early Access and this forum are for. I don't think that the situation warrants an attack on the developers or even a bit of frustration, everyone makes mistakes, Klei has done a wonderful job so far and if we really want them to change the DLC and improve or add to it, mass criticism is not the way to do it. Remember when they gave away those 12k copies of Hamlet, yes it probably did hurt them financially, but they did that knowing full well that it would, because that's just the type of people who work at Klei. To me it just seems like the developers, artists, programmers, etc. have put in so much work and effort into the DLC that we can be a little bit more appreciative and kind about it. Thank you Klei for being you.

the thing is we don't hate klei, its just disappointing that they are done with hamlet while its missing some features that people have wanted since the beta, theres nothing wrong with complaining or giving feedback, how will they know if we say nothing most people aren't hating on klei, they want them to listen.

also its not like people are attacking klei like they said something, people are disappointing about the finished product and some didn't want this exact situation where klei goes out of early access and never touches it again.

1 minute ago, Computer-7 said:

the thing is we don't hate klei, its just disappointing that they are done with hamlet while its missing some features that people have wanted since the beta, theres nothing wrong with complaining or giving feedback, how will they know if we say nothing most people aren't hating on klei, they want them to listen.

I understand all of that and voicing opinions and complaints is completely reasonable. I just feel the criticism is too negative, and the praise too little.

Just now, woodchip said:

I understand all of that and voicing opinions and complaints is completely reasonable. I just feel the criticism is too negative, and the praise too little.

theres no praise because nothing is different. People thought that klei was going to release it when it was ready, and then they just throw it out there.

and some people are really happy but why would you make an entire thread about whats been there for months instead of tell the devs what should've before its finished. 

2 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

theres no praise because nothing is different. People thought that klei was going to release it when it was ready, and then they just throw it out there.

and some people are really happy but why would you make an entire thread about whats been there for months instead of tell the devs what should've before its finished. 

They can't take every suggestion, so it's understandable that not everything got in. Some of the complaints are valid, like the teleportato for example, I think people are just making Klei more of an enemy than they really are, they take care of us. If they didn't care about feedback we never would have gotten the Home Sea Home update, Don't starve Together, or Hamlet at all. Yes some of us have been suggesting things for months, but again we can't expect them to cater to our every whim, although if you look back at a lot of the past updates, except for a few things they pretty much have done that.

10 minutes ago, woodchip said:

They can't take every suggestion, so it's understandable that not everything got in. Some of the complaints are valid, like the teleportato for example, I think people are just making Klei more of an enemy than they really are, they take care of us. If they didn't care about feedback we never would have gotten the Home Sea Home update, Don't starve Together, or Hamlet at all. Yes some of us have been suggesting things for months, but again we can't expect them to cater to our every whim, although if you look back at a lot of the past updates, except for a few things they pretty much have done that.

Maybe Klei shouldn't say things are being added and then just not add them?

They gave up, didn't fix Hamlet, didn't address the major problems people had, and just released it without a word of explanation.

People here are more than happy to wait longer for updates, wait longer for patches, wait longer for bug fixes, and praise Klei for their communication and explanations.

But they just didn't.

I can only imagine what an absolute double-disaster Hamlet would have been if they released it back in December as planned.

The problem is that they delayed the game to add more content and community feedback, which is good, but then it still comes out half-baked, using unfinished assets, and missing basic base game content, all while parading around a pricetag higher than all the other DLCs. It feels like they really just wanted to get it out the door and out of their hair as fast as possible. Not even release SW was so poor.

I did not pay more money for less content.

34 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I did not pay more money for less content.

This. Some of us paid money for this, so we should be more than able to voice our opinions on the game.

None of this is done out of hatred or spite towards Klei. They are probably the favorite game company for every single one of us. We are being hard on Klei because we care for care for Hamlet, and DS in general.

Also, in terms of "overworking" klei, in case someone wants to bring up that point in the future, there is a team working on DST, and then there's a team working on Hamlet / Singleplayer.

Hamlet is really cheap and I would totally pay for it if I could. You can’t see a movie for $7, and that’s maybe 2 hours of entertainment. Netflix costs more than that for a month. It’s a great value as is. 

Recently added content includes: a new boss, two new armors made with boss loot, two great new characters, multiple rooms and more textures to decorate them with. That is a lot, although most of the beta players are used to it by now so it doesn’t feel new. Still, full release does not usually mean much brand new content. It’s usually what has been tested out in beta and early access. Why would you include untested content in the final release? I know we all hoped for it, but when you think about that, it doesn’t really make sense.

A teleportato does seem like a reasonable request, though. Hamlet more than SW feels like it’s not meant to stand alone and that it’s really an expansion of the base game. But I am cool with that. It’s a ton of new content and I’m still playing it a lot. DS is not “dead” to me at all. I really like playing a version of the game that doesn’t require an Internet connection, and being able to combine all three DLCs means there is now loads of stuff I want to do and try. I love all the new characters, but especially Wormwood.

Put a cork in it about Warbucks, though. When someone releases a game with their name on it, it is their artwork and ultimately they have final say on what goes out into the world as their creation. If they changed their minds about some aspect of it and don’t want it out there under their name for whatever reason, that is their call because they are responsible for it forever in a way that “the community” isn’t. You’ve given your feedback and they’ve made a different decision, as is their prerogative. 

Here's the Roadmap that was presented:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Enhanced Seasons and Content
We’re going to be adding more to the seasons, adding new perks and challenges alike. Expect to see more content in every season, as well as a new boss creature. We’ll also be implementing multi-roomed homes, allowing players to build more elaborate abodes to stay in."

Aporkalypse, Humid and Temperate pretty much stayed the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bug fixes, tuning, and optimization
As usual, we will be working on a lot of bug fixes, tuning and optimization. We know that some of you have been experiencing performance issues in particular"

Granted, they've fixed quite a few bugs, but plenty of the pretty big ones got left behind. Such as Hamlet's world generation affecting RoG world generation if linked.

It might seem selfish to ask for more content, but Hamlet, compared to RoG or Shipwrecked, is really starved (heh, ironic) for content. Maybe even more starved than the original Shipwrecked was.

There is no dangers in the seasons. All the bosses YOU have to find, they don't find you. The only real danger are the bats. The only real OTHER danger comes every 60 days, which gives you infinite light and occassional bats and ghosts... which you can also skip indefinitely.

The seasons are pretty much pointless, other than Lush which does pose a challenge with it's Hay Fever and Bushes.

Aporkalypse had it's very own update dedicated to it... which made the world become tinted Red when triggered, with occasional bat attacks, Warrior Ants spawning, Ghosts in ruins and the Ancient Herald spawning.

That's it. Not very apocalyptic is it?

There was a crap ton of people giving suggestions on the forums on how to improve the seasons. Barely any of the suggestions even made it in the game.

I love the new characters, they're arguably the best part of the DLC. It just sucks that the main chunk of the DLC is kinda lacking in the content department.

I love Klei, but I can't help but feel that this was rushed out.

Hamlet is unfinished plane and simple

i think the Hamlet killer are three reasons

1 lack of funds

they gave out at least 1200 copies for free i mean its nice to be charitable Klei but that was simply too much you are still a company Klei like at most maybe a sizable discount or small things along the line but just giving away hundreds of copies that really hampered the profits

2 divided team

self explanatory they just lacked all their staff

3 due date...

the devs themselves stated that they aren't good with time constraints yet they still did one

i don't think Hamlet is salvageable it's just not going to make enough profit for the company i believe it may just be overlooked and tossed away like Warbucks

its a real shame because there is so much you could do with it

I don't blame Klei they just need to not make the same mistake again

Archived