Dear community,

Recently I started tapping into the metal volcanos with below build from the forums, thank you for the one showing this build, I couldn't find the forum page back anymore, I deleted the bookmark.

The build is working perfect for me but I have a question regarding the aquatuner. How can I efficiently cool the aquatuner or contain the aquatuner from overheating and breaking?

Thanks, 

20180629103948_1.jpg.f8198ba3537c6d80b0fed4c4f9f63d5a.jpg

15 minutes ago, FlatTiger19 said:

Dear community,

Recently I started tapping into the metal volcanos with below build from the forums, thank you for the one showing this build, I couldn't find the forum page back anymore, I deleted the bookmark.

The build is working perfect for me but I have a question regarding the aquatuner. How can I efficiently cool the aquatuner or contain the aquatuner from overheating and breaking?

Thanks, 

20180629103948_1.jpg.f8198ba3537c6d80b0fed4c4f9f63d5a.jpg

Flood it with water and pair it with a steam turbine. The aquatuner needs to be steel for this to work though.

The thing to note is that an aquatuner has no net cooling. What it does is transfer heat energy away from a liquid and dumps it into another medium. This medium could be a liquid like water or a gas like steam. However, at the end of the day it means that you are using power to cool down one thing while heating up another thing.

As noted by @bleeter6 you can use a steam turbine to cool the aquatuner. He's incorrect in that it needs to be steel for this to be possible. A gold amalgam aqautuner has an overheat temperature of 175C so plenty to run a steam turbine although you might need two steam turbines in order for it to work depending on the on time needed.

There's also the option of skipping the middle man, the aquatuner, altogether. If you already have a source of fairly constant temperature water like a polluted water geyser, or just polluted water from the many pools in the swamp biomes, for instance there not really any advantage in having the aqautuner at all. Just pipe the polluted water through instead as it doesn't really matter what temperature the refined metal comes out as since when you build something from it the temperature is reset to about 40C maximum. And save the 1200W running cost of the aquatuner.

6 hours ago, FlatTiger19 said:

Here's mine, really easy setup :

If you don't have enough polluted water, you can use crude oil that will be cool by the refinery.

Nice to see the build I posted last summer making a return

do note this was before space materials were added so there are better versions available to try

one example is sweeper arms no longer get flooded so it can be submerged with the rest to keep it from over heating

20181103182907_1.thumb.jpg.64bcf180825f6f5481a55cbe82220545.jpg

I`ve been using aquatunerf for a while and i have to say that subemrgine it in water is usually enough. The water won`t boil for a long time even when it`s working constantly. I tend to have 2 water pools one with cold water and one with hot. The hot water one has the aquatuner inside and keeps the cold at right temperature. If the pool is big enough it won`t boil for 200+ cycles with my usual water needs.

9 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

I am not sure how good this design is since with the new steam turbine, you don't just magically delete all the heat but I have been using this: 

image.thumb.png.0a9c9552e50ff38829ded9521daaef0a.png

I use something similar but I expand the room and toss 2-4 Wheezeworts in with the steam turbine.

3 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

Is the output water enough to 'cool' the turbine?

In general no.

The output is 95C and the turbine stops working when it gets to 100C. There might be a sweet spot where it cools itself faster than it heats itself up, but I haven't seen it - my turbine kept overheating despite dumping enough heat in the water to bring it to 99.5C. Looks like someone actually did the math this time.

Archived