Is it possible to build the entire map in survival?

I have this idea of filling the entire map with building tiles except the places that are actually in use. It would look cool and will have less gasses flowing around killing performance.

Is it feasible with materials dug in the asteroid only or would it be necessary to get a help from volcanoes and space cargo? I'm a terrible mathmaker, whelp.

8 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I have this idea of filling the entire map with building tiles except the places that are actually in use. It would look cool and will have less gasses flowing around killing performance.

I'm actually doing this exact thing for this exact reason in my current map. Only a few hundred cycles in, will let you know how it goes. 

But the first calculation for feasibility:
Map is 256x384. 98,304 tiles total. 
Assume at least a third of the map is space and magma. 
Assume at least a ninth of the map will be your base. 

So the 5/9ths of the map we want to tile is 56,613 tiles. Which is 10,922,666 kg of material, 21,845,333 for insulated tiles. 

2 minutes ago, bmilohill said:

I'm actually doing this exact thing for this exact reason in my current map. Only a few hundred cycles in, will let you know how it goes. 

But the first calculation for feasibility:
Map is 256x384. 98,304 tiles total. 
Assume at least a third of the map is space and magma. 
Assume at least a ninth of the map will be your base. 

So the 5/9ths of the map we want to tile is 56,613 tiles. Which is 10,922,666 kg of material, 21,845,333 for insulated tiles. 

Thank you, it will help a lot to calculate what will be needed to accomplish it. Are you doing well? Any regrets having started the task?

1 minute ago, Junksteel said:

Are you doing well? Any regrets having started the task?

My biggest regret is I should've used a map seed but instead I went full dice roll survival so naturally I ended up with two steam vents 3 biomes away and no slush found yet. I ramped up too early based on how lucky I had been on previous maps with too many dupes, so I wasted the first 300 or so cycles just stabilizing. 

Now that I have just started with tiling, I would say the biggest thing so far is that if you are going to want to use a color material mod to make designs in your tiles, don't change your mind 5 times. Deconstructing takes forever :D

You don't really need any math for that question. There's infinite mass from regolith. If you convert that to igneous rock by melting it and cooling it, you can convert it to building tiles. If you're digging out the entire map you have plenty of access to magma for heat, and very late game you can cool anything with steam turbines, so the answer is "yes."

I'm discounting space cargoes because the mass a rocket brings back is pretty small. Even if you're only making trips to a 10k asteroid it'd take a long, long time before the mass gained would matter.

55 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

There's infinite mass from regolith.

I forgot to mention I'd like to skip´regolith melting if possible too. I never did it before and I don't know how to reach +1400C without using magma from the bottom (or a volcano).  I don't mess around magma very frequently and still need to learn the tricks to keep it under control. I guess I'll have to consider that at some point.

You could always make do with whatever material you acquire naturally, and turn to melting only if you need to.

You could also make a big clay farm. I've never done it, and I've always felt I was short on polluted water, but if you have surplus polluted water you can convert that to polluted oxygen, and use the polluted oxygen to turn regolith into clay. And from that into ceramic. Seems like it'd be slow, but it'd be faster than space cargos.

You'll need an extensive hatch farm for coal to create the ceramic as well.

I usually dig out the entire world and I run out of materials and I'm not even close to trying to fill the map with tiles.

I find it quite a big end game problem having to sit around for hours while waiting for the rocket's to bring back materials to build the next great thing.

7 hours ago, Miravlix said:

I usually dig out the entire world and I run out of materials and I'm not even close to trying to fill the map with tiles.

I find it quite a big end game problem having to sit around for hours while waiting for the rocket's to bring back materials to build the next great thing.

Why not using plastic tiles in the cold area ? Faster to mass produce.

Also, I will see if I still have my 2000 cycles base somewhere, to give some screenshot with the map filled (apart the cold biomes that I kept as they were).

EDIT : So I found my old file from december, a 2500 cycles base. I tried 5 times to launch it, but I just have the background music and a black screen that turn white after a while. Music still plays however, and I can hear the "happy" tunes from the leveling of the skills update.

I just have some random screenshot from the 2250 state, in which I started to fill most of the space, beginning with the slime biome before attacking the jungle ones. That is not really interesting here. But it shows too that I always left a way to reach wild plants, so my results might be biaised. Also, I used simple tiles, metal tiles for the decor and the runspeed where it was interesting, and plastic tiles in the cold biomes because I thought it was nice.

On the really random screenshot in 2526, there is a look on my materials left after filling almost all the unused spaces of the map with tiles.

Capture d’écran (47).png

Capture d’écran (42).png

On 4/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, Hellshound38 said:

just making the entire map a vacuum is less time consuming, and serves mostly the same purpose if you prevent gas leaks

Vacuum is worse for performance than solid tiles, I tested this. Full vacuum map vs map covered entirely in coal tiles that were all the same temp. Vacuum is still better than gas tile though, even if the gas is all one type.

Here's the closest I've gotten to digging up the whole asteroid.  I initially had all the vacuum areas filled with tiles, but then went to vacuum to see if it changed performance.  It didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, but I wasn't all the accurate with my testing either.  Regardless, I thought I'd share.  Ignore the duplicate stuff, as I was in the process of moving things around when I lost interest and started a new base.

Planet5.sav

Archived