Shipwrecked characters in hamlet

Right now the shipwrecked characters have little to no use in hamlet. It appears as if this was originally going to be the same thing with hamlet characters, as Wilba's and Warbuck's (at least when he was still around) upsides were all about hamlet. They've now been updated (and removed) to be playable in rog and sw, so why not the sw characters? It's about time they get an update, because all of them are garbage outside of shipwrecked.

Walani - Walani is probably the character from shipwrecked most suited for hamlet. The only change I'd make is to change her surfboard recipe to that of something from hamlet. I'd suggest corks, but I'm sure there is another material better that I'm just not thinking of. I think most of Walani's problems come from the fact that she is basically the Wilson of shipwrecked. She doesn't have many good upsides, or downsides. She should be made more interesting than just "surfboard lady." Assuming that she does not change, though, I would just change her surfboard recipe.

Warly - Warly is just kinda sad, he looks really cool on paper, but in practice he's terrible. Now I know the Warly patrol fanbase is gonna hate me on this one, but just hear me out. I think that my first suggestion is pretty fair, make him have some exclusive recipes outside of shipwrecked. I'm not just talking about hamlet recipes, although it applies to hamlet the most. I also want to see some recipes for Reign of Giants, or how about the caves and ruins? I am fine with Warly's harsh downsides, but I feel like he should get more options. I am asking for maybe some kind of drying rack that can also be equipped on the head slot. I think the item would look something like this https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sammy_Cap except with some like jerky instead of a sandwich. This would specifically benefit him in hamlet because he can easily make a stalking stick right from the start, allowing him to easily gather food.

Wilbur - Is there really much to say about Wilbur that isn't obvious? Allow him to befriend spider monkeys and splumonkeys already dang it!

Woodlegs - Woodlegs is by far the best character in shipwrecked. However, in RoG and Hamlet, he is pretty bad. If you want to play Woodlegs, you are basically forced to start in shipwrecked (tbh this kind of applies to all of the characters, but especially Woodlegs). What's my solution? Firstly, Woodlegs should be able to craft his sea legs and lucky hat in hamlet, that's kinda the whole reason why people play Woodlegs. Obviously change their recipes to suit that of hamlet, i.e. change the dubloons to oincs, change the boat cannon recipe so that it doesn't cost coconuts and instead bramble bulbs or something. Woodlegs was made to basically live life on the sea, and he can't really do that in hamlet. There is just too much junk in the way. We should be able to remove it, whether it is through the trawl net, burning, or some third method. Even if we could remove these things legit, we would still have a problem, and that we can't craft the shipwrecked items for a sea base. Items such as the sea lab, sea yard, sea yard, and the buoyant chiminea. Either change these items when they are in hamlet so that they can be crafted with hamlet items such as iron or corks, or let us buy them from stores. Yet another problem occurs, we need tar. The only way to get tar right now is through shipwrecked, and even if we were to bring the quacken drill over to hamlet, despite there being water, we can't use it. I would say make a version of the quacken drill that lets us drill for tar or some other resource like tar. The iron hulk could nicely provide us with a new version of the quacken drill for hamlet. And while you're at it, maybe make a version of the slanty shanty where tar is in the recipe, but it allows you to build a house on the sea. That leads me into my final suggestion for Woodlegs, make it so that the sanity gain from staying indoors is great enough to counter his sanity loss from being on land.

Alright, I think that's it, all four shipwrecked characters. I am not a game dev, so who knows maybe all of this is just crap, maybe it is already in development, but if there is one thing to take away from all of this, just buff wilbur already cmon

Walani is useless outside of SW as always, Warly is mediocre anywhere, Wilbur is arguably better outside of SW than in it, and honestly, Woodlegs might actually be better in Hamlet than in SW (at least as long as you come into Hamlet with Lucky Hats prototyped in SW first), since flowers for sanity naturally regenerate in the jungle and you can rush a Tam by day 1.

You can actually buy coconuts in hamlet so i see no point in changing it to bramble bulbs. 

All the structures and items can be build in hamlet but it requires a greater effort to get them (using skyworthy for travel to Sw and prototyping it there) 

Tar is the real problem

Walani should start with another surfboard that have unlimited durability, this will a small buff, but she still not worth playing as she consider beardless wilson with less health.

Warly should have special recipes in hamlet that has special effect like speed boost or glow.

Wilbur and woodlegs are fine,

Woodlegs can buy tam from the hat shop and remove all his downside.

If I were to make a simple change to each character it would be:

Walani loses no sanity from wetness (and surfboard is faster? Pls?)

Wilbur can build Prime Ape huts 

Warly gains even more health from healing foods.

Woodlegs is fine. People who have played him in Hamlet say he is OP, even. 

Buuuut... Klei has said already there is no team working on SW right now. I mean, that's obvious. But the subtext I take from them saying that is that having the current DS team go back to reprogram some SW stuff would be trickier than it seems.

Walani: is....meh she just needs seashells in the oddball shop to craft more surfboards - Nothing special

Warly: is fun in a Wes kinda way, he's my favorite out of the SW crew - Good

Wilbur: is kinda boring but he can uncover the map quicker than most and get early tier 1 magic thanks to his poop throwing abilities- Overall decent

Woodlegs: is random but mostly terrible, lose -60 sanity PER DAY and heavy depends on the randomness of the lucky hat which by the way is harder to repair due to the lack of silk  - Depends on your luck

28 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Woodlegs: is random but mostly terrible, lose -60 sanity PER DAY and heavy depends on the randomness of the lucky hat which by the way is harder to repair due to the lack of silk  - Depends on your luck

Rush 2nd island day 1. Is the Tam there? If yes, you're set. If no, wait until the store is restocked and pick flowers and eat lotus to bide your sanity until then. Also you can just buy Sewing Kits to repair the Lucky Hat.

Woodlegs is an extremely powerful character with a practically constant downside that you have to know how to manage and address properly. He's arguably the most min-maxed character in the game.

17 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Rush 2nd island day 1. Is the Tam there? If yes, you're set. If no, wait until the store is restocked and pick flowers and eat lotus to bide your sanity until then. Also you can just buy Sewing Kits to repair the Lucky Hat.

Woodlegs is an extremely powerful character with a practically constant downside that you have to know how to manage and address properly. He's arguably the most min-maxed character in the game.

Woodlegs is insane TBH, arguably he's better in Hamlet than he is in SW once you rush the tam.

12 hours ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

again it's random if you can find the 2nd island on day 1 or very early on, it's random if you can get the tam, it's random if you can get a good treasures and all before day 9; Lastly pls tell where can I buy Sewing kits (I can't find it)

47 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

again it's random if you can find the 2nd island on day 1 or very early on, it's random if you can get the tam, it's random if you can get a good treasures and all before day 9; Lastly pls tell where can I buy Sewing kits (I can't find it)

You can't but sewing kit

You can buy hound's tooth and make one yourself but it takes some time

51 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

If world gen being random makes a character bad, then all signs point to WX being bottom tier.

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

If world gen being random makes a character bad, then all signs point to WX being bottom tier.

Wx (hamlet only) has the fastest run speed, immunity to stale/spoiled food, easy health regen from lighting, immunity to poison and eventually have the highest stats in the game at the cost of light damage from rain

Woodlegs (hamlet only) has 4 boards, spyglass and a lucky hat (can't craft another lucky hat); The lucky hat spawns random treasures both good and bad at the average cost of -60 sanity per day (silk/magic is harder to get)

Just now, JJ0264 said:

woodlegs (hamlet only) has 4 boards, spyglass and a lucky hat; The lucky hat spawns random treasures both good and bad at the average cost of -60 sanity per day (silk/magic is harder to get)

His hat is only a one off.. he cannot craft it in Hamlet-- after 10 days is gone... same with boat.. the rest of the initial loot he spawns in it's useless cuz there is no integration of SW in Hamlet AT ALL

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

His hat is only a one off.. he cannot craft it in Hamlet-- after 10 days is gone... same with boat.. the rest of the initial loot he spawns in it's useless cuz there is no integration of SW in Hamlet AT ALL

I agree, the other 3 Sw characters are generally better, yes even Walani/Warly at least imo

29 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

How is Woodlegs OP in Hamlet ??

Lucky hat spawns burried treasures. He can keep the hat with sewing kits. 

I never even played him in Hamlet, I'm just saying everyone who has says he is amazing. I was surprised too at first.

27 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

(silk/magic is harder to get)

Early game, yes. Early game Woodlegs is more challenging. Mid game breezes through.

20 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Wx (hamlet only) has the fastest run speed, immunity to stale/spoiled food, easy health regen from lighting, immunity to poison and eventually have the highest stats in the game at the cost of light damage from rain

Woodlegs (hamlet only) has 4 boards, spyglass and a lucky hat (can't craft another lucky hat); The lucky hat spawns random treasures both good and bad at the average cost of -60 sanity per day (silk/magic is harder to get)

Just because Woodlegs has less "stuff" does not make him bad; you severely underestimate the power of the hat. The Lucky Hat delivers end game loot such as Thulecite items and Ruins Gems right to your doorstep, and Woodlegs can fix his sanity better than ever in Hamlet due to exotic flowers regening, tubers and lotus restoring heaps of sanity, and a Tam potentially being available by day 1.

If a large sanity drain is your issue, then I suggest you realize how much Woodlegs and WX have in common. They both trade large amounts of sanity for big payoffs, in different ways.

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Just because Woodlegs has less "stuff" does not make him bad; you severely underestimate the power of the hat. The Lucky Hat delivers end game loot such as Thulecite items and Ruins Gems right to your doorstep, and Woodlegs can fix his sanity better than ever in Hamlet due to exotic flowers regening, tubers and lotus restoring heaps of sanity, and a Tam potentially being available by day 1.

If a large sanity drain is your issue, then I suggest you realize how much Woodlegs and WX have in common. They both trade large amounts of sanity for big payoffs, in different ways.

I'm not underestimating the power of the hat. but per se to call him "OP in Hamlet" needs to be addressed with more info

he has a chance of getting sewing kids... a "chance".. it's not guaranteed...  he spawns a lot of good treasure that varies from food to thulecite items.. but again.. he has a clear downside and he is not able to craft his hat per se... those are things that need to be said when someone claims Woodlegs i sOP 

I don't have any sanity problems with him... you simply assumed I have... I have a base with 300+ days with Woodlegs.. I think Ik a thing of 2 about him xD

ik of the options to deal with his sanity and in that regard you can get a clear help from a tam... not on day 1.. I think that's a bit disingenuous... but early game indeed...

I think the comparison between Woodlegs and WX is pretty much impossible..

if we go from the idea that sanity management is a thing... then I think Woodlegs is clearly more demanding if you use the Lucky Hat all the time.. which is what u appointed to make him OP, but then u say he can use a Tam... that kills his Lucky Hat effect... so... yeap..

WX on the other hand has a very small sanity sanity pool that can be fixed pretty fast after overcharged, he gets infinite light and speed... and full hp

the comparison alone is a bit... weird... and completely disproportionate...  Wooglegs loot can be really good.. but that doesn't change a thing when u can overrun any danger at every turn as WX

25 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

His playstyle doesn't gel with me, half of the time the "lucky hat" gives me nothing but useless doubloons and gems I don't need at the moment (so I guess I have bad luck); It's not so much the sanity that bothers me it's being consistently harass by nightmares (especially at night) and all I have is a weak spear in the early days to fend them off. I don't see the similarities between Wx and Woodlegs in terms of sanity, I mean Wx can trade sanity for faster speed/health/light if he wants

ps. don't wear a lucky hat in ruins/caves you'll lose a treasure spawn

On 4/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, sinisterrkid said:

If I were to make a simple change to each character it would be:

Walani loses no sanity from wetness (and surfboard is faster? Pls?)

Wilbur can build Prime Ape huts 

Warly gains even more health from healing foods.

now back to the other characters,..

Wilbur is pretty great.. I don't think he needs to craft the prime ape hut. In Hamlet his running ability is pretty useful, he can kill birds for feather and food for early game dark sword.... overall most flexible SW character in all dlcs

I agree that Walani needs some love.. her surfboard needs to be faster.. ... not so sure about not loosing sanity from wetness... maybe she looses LESS sanity from wetness.. but not completely

Warly is the most underwhelming SW character at the momment. His nerf is IMO simply boring ... I hope the devs can give him something unique.. and if possible revert tthe nerf.. that is just unfun 

Archived