How to remove germs from water

I once made a long room, like 20 wide or something like that and made toilet water enter on the right. On the left there was a pump, which triggers on more than 500 kg water, which would be 1500 kg when counting from the floor, or around 30 tons of water in total. I heated it to 110 C. Water got in and it would flow naturally, but slowly horizontally. The travel time was so long that all germs would die by the time the water arrived at the pump. It got the job done and it was on a map without a chlorine geyser meaning I wanted to explore a non-chlorine cleaning approach and it is in fact doable. Most chlorine approaches are easier to do though and they certainly use less power and space.

I'm not sure which chlorine approach is best because I'm not doing the same thing twice. Each time I encounter problems, which limits the throughput of cleaning water, or latency or something, but since it's working, I'm not fixing it until the next game when I try something else. I think the post important part to consider isn't actually "the best design", but rather how safe is the system as in what is the risk that germ filled water makes it through the cleaner. If your output is 100% sure to filter out germ water and send it back in the cleaner, then it doesn't matter if you cleaner cleans 80% or 100%. This means a good germ sensor and filter approach on the output is more important than the pipe and tank layout. If you want to play it safe, then lack of power should make it view all water as germ filled rather than germ free. A cleaner isn't just for germ filled water, it is for maybe germ filled water and should do just fine cleaning already clean water.

I finally got to the point where I felt I could set up a chlorine water disinfection system. I discovered, abruptly, that I'd forgotten that germ sensors require plastic. All the various systems we see here were built mid game or later, when plastic's readily available through Dreko farming if nothing else. At cycle 35 it's not.

I need to look into creating a timer-based system, since I can't test if the water's sterile. I think I can probably rig one with just a single reservoir, since I don't need high throughput as yet.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I finally got to the point where I felt I could set up a chlorine water disinfection system. I discovered, abruptly, that I'd forgotten that germ sensors require plastic. All the various systems we see here were built mid game or later, when plastic's readily available through Dreko farming if nothing else. At cycle 35 it's not.

I need to look into creating a timer-based system, since I can't test if the water's sterile. I think I can probably rig one with just a single reservoir, since I don't need high throughput as yet.

Very true, I don't usually have a chlorine room setup till about cycle 100s

You might get lucky and get some plastic from the printing pod.

And unless you have an infected PW geyser than a single reservoir should handle your bathroom.

3 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

Don't need sensor or plastic, just use this one :

20181110131703_1.jpg.dd811396b4cab920dce

Fill 3 water tank without open the exit. Once it's filled, you can open the pipe.

I use heating and germ sensors, I have a tank with doors halfway down, using hydro sensors I detect when the bottom room is full and close the doors, another hydro sensor detect when it's empty and a germ sensor detects when the water can be pumped out.

While the bottom part of the tank is killing germs/emptying out the top part is getting filled.

I did some chlorine tank stuff, it's fairly easy to create a system that fills up the tank and stops adding more,then checks the tank PW until it report it's out of germs. (Two Shutoffs, loop and germ detetion sensors, means germy water keep getting sent back to the storage.)

But I've had worlds without chlorine geysers, so it seems better to perfect a heating based germ killer, than trying to work on a system that doesn't work on every map.

39 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

But I've had worlds without chlorine geysers, so it seems better to perfect a heating based germ killer, than trying to work on a system that doesn't work on every map.

Why is a chlorine geyser needed?

3 hours ago, Miravlix said:

But I've had worlds without chlorine geysers

I'll echo Neotuck. Why would you need a chlorine geyser? My experience is that there's far, far more chlorine in gas pockets than you'll ever use.  Two moderate sized rooms full of chlorine should handle all your disinfection needs, and there's enough free chlorine available for 10x that much.

A chlorine geyser would matter if you were consuming chlorine, but you can disinfect water and slime easily in chlorine rooms without doing that.

4 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I'll echo Neotuck. Why would you need a chlorine geyser? My experience is that there's far, far more chlorine in gas pockets than you'll ever use.  Two moderate sized rooms full of chlorine should handle all your disinfection needs, and there's enough free chlorine available for 10x that much.

A chlorine geyser would matter if you were consuming chlorine, but you can disinfect water and slime easily in chlorine rooms without doing that.

And this is ignoring all the bleach stone you can let offgas... Plenty of chlorine even with no geyser. 

Experimented a bit in debug mode and could not get germ sensor to work. I admit that I have not tried the advanced setups involving lots of automation and buildings on doors, as I believed there should be something easier. Of course, then I found here this solution with three reservoirs in a row which works perfectly and needs no automation, but this now leaves a question - is germ sensor broken? I mean if it is in the game, then it should have its purpose, and the most obvious one would be to use it in germ removal setups. But it seems it is not possible to use it like this thanks to germs in pipes? What's the point of its existence then? On the other hand, if disinfecting with reservoirs in chlorine rooms is not intended, then maybe in a heating setup this sensor would work.. Have anyone tried it like this, and did it work?

6 minutes ago, miauly said:

Experimented a bit in debug mode and could not get germ sensor to work. I admit that I have not tried the advanced setups involving lots of automation and buildings on doors, as I believed there should be something easier. Of course, then I found here this solution with three reservoirs in a row which works perfectly and needs no automation, but this now leaves a question - is germ sensor broken? I mean if it is in the game, then it should have its purpose, and the most obvious one would be to use it in germ removal setups. But it seems it is not possible to use it like this thanks to germs in pipes? What's the point of its existence then? On the other hand, if disinfecting with reservoirs in chlorine rooms is not intended, then maybe in a heating setup this sensor would work.. Have anyone tried it like this, and did it work?

Both clean PW and germy PW need to pass though the sensor at least once.  That's why I included showers with my bathroom loop.

If you don't want to have showers then pump some PW from a nearby swamp biome when filling the pipes

Personally I have a water/PW airlock that I use to build the chlorine room.  Once it's finished I seal the room and pump the water from the lock to the resevroir.   That resets the sensor so it works properly.

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Both clean PW and germy PW need to pass though the sensor at least once.  That's why I included showers with my bathroom loop.

If you don't want to have showers then pump some PW from a nearby swamp biome when filling the pipes

Personally I have a water/PW airlock that I use to build the chlorine room.  Once it's finished I seal the room and pump the water from the lock to the resevroir.   That resets the sensor so it works properly.

I've tried once more. This time I have set up two pools of PW, clean and germy, and "primed" the system via sending clean PW first (see screenshot). Anyway, soon after I enabled germy PW intake and disabled clean PW intake, I got germs in my output reservoir. I assume you meant that sensor needs to constantly receive germy and clean packages? But it should, otherwise why did it even start to let PW through? Because at first it did stop to let PW through when I enabled germy water, but then it allowed the water to go through and after some ticks the water in the reservoir got germy anyway.

I was thinking to add this to your bug report on the sensor, but then maybe my piping is wrong?

germ sensor.png

Archived