Wagstaff Lore

4 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Wagstaff has got a slew of typos in his speech, makes me uncomfortable.
I was planning on finding them all and putting them into 1 big report, because I've certainly found a few.

pls do... the "runes" quote was already fixed but dunno how many others ... I'm kinda dyslexic and I don't notice those things sometimes

(birdcage) SLEEPING = "It sleeps standing up. Curious.",

surely a man this smart is aware birds sleep ... "standing up". Even toddlers know this.

Especially when birds do the same in the "real world" (presumably his)

21 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

surely a man this smart is aware birds sleep ... "standing up". Even toddlers know this.

Especially when birds do the same in the "real world" (presumably his)

Scientists in this game seem to have knowledge gaps when it comes to birds.

Wilson on Canaries: "Some sort of yellow creature made of science."

13 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Wagstaff has got a slew of typos in his speech, makes me uncomfortable.
I was planning on finding them all and putting them into 1 big report, because I've certainly found a few.

Doing God’s work. 

I’ve got a theory about Wagstaff and wx. I think Wx was build as a test dummy, to be sent through the portal and remotely controlled by Wagstaff from the factory. However, when the portal opened, Wagstaff was pulled into it by them, which is why he was struggling in the next of kin short. Wx and Wagstaff were separated and Wx gained sentience from the constant.

8 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I’ve got a theory about Wagstaff and wx. I think Wx was build as a test dummy, to be sent through the portal and remotely controlled by Wagstaff from the factory. However, when the portal opened, Wagstaff was pulled into it by them, which is why he was struggling in the next of kin short. Wx and Wagstaff were separated and Wx gained sentience from the constant.

Yeap.. I posted this idea of another character in Wagstaff's office in another thread and WX came as the logical conclusion... 

I'm not really sure if it was WX or Wagstaff holding on to the frame portal.. But it indeed makes a lot of sense that something along those lines might have happened 

I'm also not very convinced it was Them directly pulling Wagstaff...

I think Wagstaff was building the portal on his own.. Or maybe in connection with Charlie's disappearance.. Even Charlie pulling him makes more sense in that scenario... 

I was thinking something more like wagstaff managed to open a rift, Charlie somehow senses it... WX get pulled.. Wagstaff panics when he sees Charlie... Tries to hold on.. Looses glove While Winona tries to pull back.. Fails... Etc etc.. Next Kin video 

Or 

WX gains consciousness when Charlie appears and WX freaks out and holds on to the frame of the portal .. Etc

After observing a good number of his quotes, I'm not entirely sure that Wagstaff was brought to the constant in the first place, or at the very least not the constant proper. I say this because many of his quotes imply that he has experience in the constant, yet just as many imply that he recently arrived. Most notable how he says that "experience" lets him know that saplings will regrow and that cooked morsels are safe to eat, yet he's still surprised by the composition of monster meat and how fast the daylight cycle is.

My guess is that the portal took him to some other part of the constant, most likly the part with The Gorge; due to Mumsy mentioning "one of your kind" passing through, but managed to get somewhere "safe" and is now projecting himself into the constant proper inorder to study it.

3 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

After observing a good number of his quotes, I'm not entirely sure that Wagstaff was brought to the constant in the first place, or at the very least not the constant proper. I say this because many of his quotes imply that he has experience in the constant, yet just as many imply that he recently arrived. Most notable how he says that "experience" lets him know that saplings will regrow and that cooked morsels are safe to eat, yet he's still surprised by the composition of monster meat and how fast the daylight cycle is.

My guess is that the portal took him to some other part of the constant, most likly the part with The Gorge; due to Mumsy mentioning "one of your kind" passing through, but managed to get somewhere "safe" and is now projecting himself into the constant proper inorder to study it.

this is a bit... out there I think

as far as we know only imps can travel thorough time and space and the atrium portal needs to be reached in DST in order to travel to Gorge in the first place ... which is a complete different time from DS

there is this feature of his in the code (haven't seen it myself) but he has a tag called "out of this world" and "projection" 

this is one important piece of info.. is he a literal projection or rather not fully materialized... (flickering)

did he reached the constant on his own his his runeless portal or he encountered Charlie at some point?

was he alone or did he came with primitive automaton wx in the voxola factory incident...? 

etc etc..

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

this is a bit... out there I think

as far as we know only imps can travel thorough time and space and the atrium portal needs to be reached in DST in order to travel to Gorge in the first place ... which is a complete different time from DS

there is this feature of his in the code (haven't seen it myself) but he has a tag called "out of this world" and "projection" 

this is one important piece of info.. is he a literal projection or rather not fully materialized... (flickering)

did he reached the constant on his own his his runeless portal or he encountered Charlie at some point?

was he alone or did he came with primitive automaton wx in the voxola factory incident...? 

etc etc..

The "out of world" tag was the main thing that made me think this. as for reaching the gorge. It's possible that the portal he opened brought him straight to the gorge, though perhaps somwhere else. 

Something to note that may or may not be relevant is that Wagstaff seems to have built his own Teleportato. He recognizes the parts, and says that they're "perfect", and when you examine the Wooden thing he remarks about how his design is similar, but lacks runes. Initally it may seem like his design's how he arrived, but we actually see his portal in the next of kin short, and it's just that, a portal.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.44fe612b7c7b8519b9dfb524d2bbfc68.png

so just to recap, so far in this rabbit hole we got

-Wagstaff has an "outofworldprojection" tag that causes his sprint and voice to distort based on HP
-Wagstaff has experience with certain aspects of the constant, such as Saplings and morsels, but is still surprised by certain things, such as the rapid daylight cycle and monster meat

-Recognizes the parts of the teleportato, Says that several of them are "perfect", and apparently designed a similar machine

-Mumsy in the gorge remarks about a human having passed through once. And Wagstaff is the only Non-DLC character that isn't accounted for in DST.

5 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

The "out of world" tag was the main thing that made me think this. as for reaching the gorge. It's possible that the portal he opened brought him straight to the gorge, though perhaps somwhere else. 

Something to note that may or may not be relevant is that Wagstaff seems to have built his own Teleportato. He recognizes the parts, and says that they're "perfect", and when you examine the Wooden thing he remarks about how his design is similar, but lacks runes. Initally it may seem like his design's how he arrived, but we actually see his portal in the next of kin short, and it's just that, a portal.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.44fe612b7c7b8519b9dfb524d2bbfc68.png

so just to recap, so far in this rabbit hole we got

-Wagstaff has an "outofworldprojection" tag that causes his sprint and voice to distort based on HP
-Wagstaff has experience with certain aspects of the constant, such as Saplings and morsels, but is still surprised by certain things, such as the rapid daylight cycle and monster meat

-Recognizes the parts of the teleportato, Says that several of them are "perfect", and apparently designed a similar machine

-Mumsy in the gorge remarks about a human having passed through once. And Wagstaff is the only Non-DLC character that isn't accounted for in DST.

I'm perfectly aware of the runes in the teleportato base remark... I was amongst the first people bringing that up... Back then when there was a typo saying "ruins" instead of runes xD

That why I said he is probably not fully materialized.. Literally out of this world flickering like an old projector, like a reverb effect from missing magic from the runes of his own defective portal 

That's why Winona doest have it cuz Charlie took her directly from the portal rift

There is evidence that suggest he is a projection too.. In the code... But we don't have enough bases to say that's true beyong that. Besides, he refers a lot many many scents... A projection cannot smell things

I got already my own theory going in a post where I claim that wagstaff isn't really the guy holding on the portal frame in the vid... He was not alone.. I believe it was WX in there.. Maybe.. Hard to prove but maybe... Or that Wag panicked when he saw Charlie emerging from the portal rift and that's why he is holding on.. 

I think the "one guy similar to you past by" is pretty broad to pin point it to him directly and it's meant to say more or less this is an endless cycle... 

There is so far no evidence to link the Constant with the gateway worlds without the atrium/gateway

The gateway worlds are more or less parallel universes reached only by atrium..

Even imps need to reach the atrium first to get to them... Check Wortox lines on atrium portal...

Thats why this bit isn't really supported by the "someone else like you past by" remark

We will have more info with the next animatic tho... I enjoy myself some theories debates nonetheless xD

This might be a bit of a stretch, but what if Wagstaff was stealing things from the constant? The news paper in the next of kin board has pictures of bishops, but they were made by the ancients. He also seems interested in the nightmare fuel, and other aspects of the world. Given how much he knows, I think that the portal was in the factory for a long time, and Wagstaff was using it to steal the ancients tech to make the Voxola and other stuff. Then during the next of kin, Charlie drags Wagstaff and WX into the constant and the portal destabilizes.

I really love the fact that the devs put in that little bit of "oomph" to his voice. To me, he is a hologram IMO. The reason for this is confirmed for me in the voice audio, not the fact that it is distorted, but rather if one were to listen to the audio by itself you can (very faintly as he is at his lowest health) static interference. The little "cracks" in the audio that sound like a gramophone playing on top of the visual distortion brings me to my final theory that he is in fact, an illusion. Instead I believe that he managed to trick the forces in the constant in thinking his clone was himself, whereas he is actually controlling it from afar. As for the argument detailing the inconsistencies with said hologram not being able to do many things "realistically", neither should you be able to teleport, heal serious wounds in seconds, turn into a werebeaver, etc. Tbh, I wouldn't put it past him to make a hologram that lets him smell from outside the constant considering his technical skills based on that universes' level of intelligence per person.

I love how we know that Wagstaff is a big player in this game's story, yet it's still not clear how exactly. Obviously his radio's are a big deal and Wagstaff himself knew enough about The Constant to seek it out and get there himself, but everything else about him is a mystery for now. The projection thing also makes the plot thicken even more, suggesting he doesn't exist in The Constant the same way as everyone else.

I hope that if he gets added to DST we will learn more about him. 

Other characters do have quotes for his items. They don't vanish if you change character so you can examine them. None of Maxwell's quotes would suggest he knows who made the items.  Perhaps he never knew Wagstaff is in the constant?

78B00D5015A8D9590520A9D89E5F6AC8B1ED4538

Also, other characters become nearsighted wearing his glasses. A nice detail, considering it's probably not intended to be able to do that in the first place (special items usually vanish when characters change).

4 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Why do the glasses look so big on Maxwell? Is that an anim error or does Wagstaff have giant head?

Well, Wagstaff´s goggles are based in old welding glasses of protection, which is a good detail for the ambient of DS (1920-1930). Time ago, protection glasses for hard work used to be more bigger than modern ones.

b5dc57b07750217b8695d95f81678947.thumb.jpg.2bfb6578fefdd29854d6dce0bc66c18c.jpg

More examples:

Spoiler

bb6c070675b0e640b94301d8a559e570.jpg.5b44cdc63e60fc2b25d0300b274f603f.jpg

YWIxNzM4NDFhZGNjYTYzZGVkMDRkZjZhN2M3MDQ0ODB8HSnrucCX23hm8T3iw6_6aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYTVi-DdlZWU2OGVlZDlmYjQ1YTVhNy5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93.jpg.6644302de257d1c7538c72ca9d82140f.jpg

I like the effects of Wagstaff´s eyes when wear his goggles, reminds me to Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton).

B12BxzP-pNul.jpg.cf00a1eb8f22314bfb5ede9af79dbb43.jpg

1 minute ago, NoscopeFelix said:

I hope when hamlet gets officially released they will make a short video introducing the new characters , so we get more juicy lore.

They said that there will be an animated short upon the release of hamlet.

5 hours ago, NoscopeFelix said:

I hope when hamlet gets officially released they will make a short video introducing the new characters , so we get more juicy lore.

Wagstaff isn't a Hamlet character though so I dunno if he'd be included.

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Wagstaff isn't a Hamlet character though so I dunno if he'd be included.

Would be cool if the entire trailer was Hamlet based and focused on Wormwood and Wheeler. And then after credits we'd get something for Wagstaff. Something similar to Charlie's apperance in Forge trailer

Archived