Spiders are impossible now!

Sliver

Okay, so I have yet to experience winter at all, I keep dying before I even get to it! I'm normally one of the first to complain that the game is too easy, but spiders now are impossible to take down without pigs. Even level one nests have two warrior spiders in them, and each spider takes so many hits it's ridiculous.And on top of that, I'm having a hard time even finding nests to die to. So many recipes call for crazy high levels of silk, and I've explored more than half of the world to only find maybe three or four nests...and then die to the third.While we're on the subject, I like that you are squishy. The amount of damage that you can take is almost perfect, but it's annoying to have to wail on an enemy for a minute before it actually dies. Everything now takes so many hits that the enemies are all spear-sponges.

Edited by Sliver

I agree with Sliver, the player should have the option whether to hire pigs, gear up or come up with another strategy. I really don't get why they had to nerf both armor and weapons if they already introduced plenty of things to make the game harder.

Not sure what "this isn't an action game" has to do with anything. It sounds like a vague one-liner people say to not have to explain themselves properly. Yes, I'm aware you're quoting Kevin. Having decent armor and weaponry doesn't make the game an action game. I usually avoid battle and if there's a way to get an item without having to go into combat, all the better. I would like the character to have a decent amount of protection though for those occcassions when the player has no other choice but to fight.If they don't want the game to be an action game, then don't send the hounds maybe? :-s

Died to 3 Hounds at day 17. Never happened to me until now. They seem pretty dangerous.Warrior spiders in level 1 nests caught me by surprise. Gathering silk became quite a challenge. Also it's pretty difficult (I mean super difficult) to clean most of the dens on the map before they become level 3.

All these fire answers don't address the issue of gathering silk from a day one game to have some of the silk intensive items for winter, but actually for routine game play. I also believe "hire pigs" should not be the only answer in a game that has offered amazing diversity. Have you tried multiple grass traps, or are those still working? I find that 2 rows of 3 between the nest & where you intend to run works to "thin the herd", so to speak. Been a bit busy with hounds, the four-legged hit sponges that have gone vegetarian.

Not sure what "this isn't an action game" has to do with anything. It sounds like a vague one-liner people say to not have to explain themselves properly. Yes, I'm aware you're quoting Kevin. Having decent armor and weaponry doesn't make the game an action game. I usually avoid battle and if there's a way to get an item without having to go into combat, all the better. I would like the character to have a decent amount of protection though for those occcassions when the player has no other choice but to fight.If they don't want the game to be an action game, then don't send the hounds maybe? :-s

The hounds that can be lured in to almost any enemy mob in the game? taken out by pig body guards, led in to traps, put to sleep then ambushed etc. Plenty of ways to deal with hounds outside of walking up to them and mashing the left mouse button. But that's neither here nor there.I took down a few nests as Wes with a spear, but the easiest early way is to torch them, you lose some of the silk, but the game is ALL about risk vs reward. That's kinda the point.

Okay, so I have yet to experience winter at all, I keep dying before I even get to it! I'm normally one of the first to complain that the game is too easy, but spiders now are impossible to take down without pigs. Even level one nests have two warrior spiders in them, and each spider takes so many hits it's ridiculous.And on top of that, I'm having a hard time even finding nests to die to. So many recipes call for crazy high levels of silk, and I've explored more than half of the world to only find maybe three or four nests...and then die to the third.While we're on the subject, I like that you are squishy. The amount of damage that you can take is almost perfect, but it's annoying to have to wail on an enemy for a minute before it actually dies. Everything now takes so many hits that the enemies are all spear-sponges.

You can make a campfire near the spider nest and kill them one by one before the night, they leave the nest. You can make traps and set them near the nest. Last thing, nest is not for you to destroy, and if you try it you may die its a great risk now, it should always be like this.

So I just took a look at the files for damage and whatnot, I'll post a few of them down into a spoiler in case you don't want to know the specs of the game.

Wilson's damage with a spear is 33, spike is about 49, and nightsword is about 66.Spiders have 100HP, tallbirds have 400, hounds have 150
It seems to me that all of this adds up to make sense balance-wise. Maybe there's something weird happening in the code and they're taking more damage then they're supposed to, but on paper balance seems to be pretty much perfect. Their damage numbers are fine as well, but in-game it actually seems too hard. Your Health is fine, but enemies take damage like champs. It felt like it took me over 10 hits to kill a spider, where it should have only been about 3.

Glad to see they made things harder to fight mobs were too easy to kill at first. I think they should introduce metal along with new armor and weapons that are much stronger than stone but are harder to make. ( Yes I know it's in minecraft so just chill)

Edited by Avarwen

I have never had much trouble with spiders until i started trying to kill tier 3 nests with a spear and wood armor alone and had to engage multiple arachnids simultaneously. Something i noticed by happenstance is that the wicker rabbit traps are F$#$%King amazing at dealing with spiders. surround a den with about 4 wicker traps, throw boomerang , run and wait to thin out the pursuing spiders. Those that return to the nest will likely get trapped, those that continue to give chase will be smaller in number.

The hounds that can be lured in to almost any enemy mob in the game? taken out by pig body guards, led in to traps, put to sleep then ambushed etc. Plenty of ways to deal with hounds outside of walking up to them and mashing the left mouse button. But that's neither here nor there.I took down a few nests as Wes with a spear, but the easiest early way is to torch them, you lose some of the silk, but the game is ALL about risk vs reward. That's kinda the point.

You completely missed my point. I simply mentioned the hounds as an example. My point is, going on a nerf pallooza and just giving us a one-liner as a reason to do so is very annoying and frustrating. You can't put stuff that aggro on detection in the game and then claim that it's not supposed to be an action game. Even combat requires strategy. Let's use the hounds as an example. What if at the time of attack you don't have a panflute or spear on you and you're not able to run away?They already implemented things to make the game harder then why also go a nerf binge? They even nerfed the recipes for crying out loud and the penalty for failing a recipe is too much. It's one of those things that could have made the game fun and less predictible by letting the player experiment with different combos. Its great to have a challenge but at least leave a bit of fun factor in it for the player.

You completely missed my point. I simply mentioned the hounds as an example. My point is, going on a nerf pallooza and just giving us a one-liner as a reason to do so is very annoying and frustrating. You can't put stuff that aggro on detection in the game and then claim that it's not supposed to be an action game. Even combat requires strategy. Let's use the hounds as an example. What if at the time of attack you don't have a panflute or spear on you and you're not able to run away?They already implemented things to make the game harder then why also go a nerf binge? They even nerfed the recipes for crying out loud and the penalty for failing a recipe is too much. It's one of those things that could have made the game fun and less predictible by letting the player experiment with different combos. Its great to have a challenge but at least leave a bit of fun factor in it for the player.

The game was easy for the majority of players , the polls showed this, and that's why the nerfs. Before the patch I put on a pig skin helmet, log suit and took out an entire herd of beefalo with a spear. I had weeks worth of steaks in my ice box, it was actually more dangerous for me to leave my base then to simply alt tab out and feed myself once awhile, if I was Wendy I wouldn't even need to worry about the dark. This is a survival game, please reference _Q_s signature as to why that is not okay. The combat nersf were needed, its not a combat game.Almost every complaint stems from people refusing to adapt. You can no longer take out nests easily by playing the game like its diablo by smashing the left mouse button. Adapt, use new methods, Qs campfire method is just one of many, but it is so painfully obvious its painful to see people complain already.

The game was easy for the majority of players , the polls showed this, and that's why the nerfs. Before the patch I put on a pig skin helmet, log suit and took out an entire herd of beefalo with a spear. I had weeks worth of steaks in my ice box, it was actually more dangerous for me to leave my base then to simply alt tab out and feed myself once awhile, if I was Wendy I wouldn't even need to worry about the dark. This is a survival game, please reference _Q_s signature as to why that is not okay. The combat nersf were needed, its not a combat game.Almost every complaint stems from people refusing to adapt. You can no longer take out nests easily by playing the game like its diablo by smashing the left mouse button. Adapt, use new methods, Qs campfire method is just one of many, but it is so painfully obvious its painful to see people complain already.

You keep on missing the point. Also I never played Diablo. Not sure why you assume that, that's the way I deal with nests in my own game but whatever. I'm not at all against strategic game-play as I repeated in every post but I also don't see the need in going on a nerf binge either. I understand if they decide to nerf either the armor or weaponry or a certain combination of stuff. That's not what happened with the current build though, they made the game harder by introducing all kind of new stuff and then proceeded to nerf pretty much everything in the game.I can imagine "most people" finding the game too easy if they've been around from the start and had certain stuff introduced gradually but for new or casual players this is simply overwhelming. Especially since there are no instructions nor hints etc. I can't imagine how I'd do with this built if I only purchase the game today knowing not much about it.