space flights and how boring to play

When will anything be done with space flights? I must wait 15-21 cycles for ship that returns with nothing. Plus the fact that the game becomes very slow, what is really boring. I curently have 3 ships and i get muth more problems that benefits of them; i should strugle all the time with carbon dioxide and temperature they leave. And this is for 6 wheezywort per 2 flights. And what about the speed of such ships? If we take the cycle in the game for our day, the ship will be cast at a speed of 277.7km / hour, what kind of ship is that? When will the spaseflights be useful? Why not make it fly faster from the excess of fuel. I understand that with the current game mechanics it's difficult to do, but doing nothing is worse. The game is very interesting exactly until the moment you fly in space, then becomes just a waiting for ships simulator.

Development is a process of priority. And current priority is not new content, bug bugfixing and quality of life. This means changing things, to work better for the players. Yes better space experience would be a part of this, and it will be adressed at some point i guess.

I´m sure, we will see some useful improvments to rockets some day. 

The problem here is, as you see yourself, rockets are late game. Thats a part of the game, some new players will see in weeks, even months, when they master the basics, to sustain a stable base. And thats the important part for the devs, to cover those parts of the game, and make them smooth. New players, who complain over problems in early stages, will never get to the point, where they launch a rocket. But they are the people, who  make the most recent comments and reviews for the game on steam. It that experience is bad for new peope, the ratings go down. 

I have 4 rockets (3 whit storage, and 1 whit biological container) and I go only at 40k planets (so 12 cycle / trip). The heat is manageable whit a steam turbine, the solid CO2 i heat it and convert to co2 then scrub it and convert water to polluted water for peeper plant or thimble reed plant. The ice i heat it and melt it.The water is sended to the CO2 scruber. The methane is heated until 161 degrees and converted to natural gas, which is vented to the methane condensation area, The solid O2 is heated and sended to the LOX area...Niobium is used as it is or converter to thermium, and isoresin converted to isolation. 

If you want pictures for the setup i can send you when i am at home. But is nothing special.

Like many system in game if you wait for it to produce results it will be boring. Set it up, leave it be, do something else. In time results will come.

One thing that i would really like improved though are further away destinations and how there is no point flying there because you can find all "rare" stuff really close.

Rockets need some balancing for sure. Further away destinations of the same type don`t offer anything better over the closer ones. Far rocket flights take forever (33 cycles is just oo much). The whole thing is kinda boring. But there can be stuff easily done about it. I posted some suggestions already.

Also better engines could reduce travel time (2 cycles per 10k for petrol and 1 per 10k for hydrogen).

Now that we are in the QoL upgrade period changes to the system can be done. The focus of the last 2 was the base systems though (fabricator system cleanup and priority clarity and improvement). I`m sure they will do something with the rockets but i`m afraid they might focus on other systems first. Disease system could use work as well. There is a lot of polish to be done. I`m also sure they are working hard behind the scenes on some sort of endgame win condition for the release.

6 cycles is either an hour (1x Speed) or 20 minutes (3x speed).  Either way, it's not fun.  A 40km rocket, at 12 cycles, is *2 hours* (at normal) between departure and landing... not including pause times.  Should you ever dare the 120,000 km rockets, I have a few recommendations:

• Learn a new programming language
  • Crochet
  • Kill a series in your latest Netflix binge
  • Rearrange your entire base in miniature cells to remove the 'long commute' times.
  • Weed the garden
  • Prepare, make, eat, and clean up from a dinner for 8.
  • Take up brewing
  • Play Don't Starve, and conquer the ruins.  Perhaps twice.
  • Finally start on that Honey Do list and head to home depot.
  • … Do what I do, and assume that the game ends at first rocket launch, and start a new map.

8 hours ago, linainverse said:

it looks like a pre-election speech especially since you’re not from the dev team

If the last ~20 updates of ONI hast shown us something, then that Klei delivers improvements continously. So far from a (pre-)election speech, in which often false promises are made.

8 hours ago, Gamma17 said:

Like many system in game if you wait for it to produce results it will be boring. Set it up, leave it be, do something else. In time results will come.

I agree, but the problem is that rockets still need alot of user interaction: opening/closing the bunker doors, emptying the tank, (maybe) exchanging the pilot.

Some of them might be solveable with automation, but not all of them. So you still need to look at your rocket silo every ~12 cycles, which is very different to all the other systems in the game, which usually do run fully automated.

5 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:
  • Play Don't Starve, and conquer the ruins.  Perhaps twice.

hilarious!

My bunker is fully automated. Under you have the automation. In between i change some little things (the output part: Co2, O2, Methane and ice) for deal whit it instead of storage it, and start build a water tank and a polluted water tank in the space area. Also start build a transit tube, for get rid of the long commute message and rearrange the pipe. 

Next will be finish to void the right part of the asteroid, dig it all from the top to the bottom, finish converting all the crude oil to petroleum, tame 3 unrevealed vents, and the cold steam vent untamed. 

The last project will be make a base for the astronauts in the space area, transporting the magma to the space area, using the heat of the rockets to heat the magma, melt abbysalite. Now i am at 1550 cycle. When i finish all my projects i think i will be at 3000 cycle.

Pros. The game runs fine, Con. The loading time for me is 5 minutes :(  and 8 - 12 seconds from cycle to cycle. 

3 hours ago, lee1026 said:

Pretty sure you can automate the bunker doors and emptying cargo bays. My rockets fire automatically from a very large silo.

The only thing you cannot automate right now is emptying biological cargo bays. My rockets, with the exception of the wheezewort hauler, come and go on their own all the time.

9 hours ago, blash365 said:

I agree, but the problem is that rockets still need alot of user interaction: opening/closing the bunker doors, emptying the tank, (maybe) exchanging the pilot.

Some of them might be solveable with automation, but not all of them. So you still need to look at your rocket silo every ~12 cycles, which is very different to all the other systems in the game, which usually do run fully automated.

Cargo ones are fully automatable, and it is actually fun challenge to do. They basically turn into resource income/consumption per turn, as everything else, and this are fine IMO. It also helps that all the rare resources and decent destinations are usually within 10000-50000km, including those with wort seeds and slime/algae. If you just want rare resources - they are usually all available within 10000-20000km.

Further away destinations are a little bit stupid in terms of time and reward here i 100% agree. There needs to be a way to either cut travel times or get something that is worth a wait out of it.

Archived