Using rocket engine heating for any purpose?

I just start launching rocket (in survival mode), and i just see the amount of heat generate by a petroleum engine.

I wondering if someone ever use this big amount of heat to do something and have example to share.

Using rocket's heat

1) To make steam for steam turbine and have sometime extra energy?

2) To refined metal ore?

3) To melt regolith to make something useable (or any other material)?

The problem with steam turbine is, it has to sit above the steam, and must have room above. So it wont fit under the rocket launch tube. 

You maybe can put it left or right of the tube, and let the steam move there by itself, but its not a very good solution.

Normaly it just delete the heat, to prevent overheating the system, and thats it.

3 hours ago, Flydo said:

Using rocket's heat

In my previous game I cooked petroleum with rocket heat. In my current game I cook dirt and drive a steam turbine.

Whatever you're doing, a liquid loop in ceramic pipes can deliver the heat from the rocket heatsink to anywhere on the map. It doesn't have to be super fancy. A single loop of cheap radiant pipe, then insulated to your boiler/turbine/etc.

image.thumb.png.9d91fc26dcd2ea1d3d6e389283365b54.png

This is what i build. Is my version of magmaficator using the heat of the bottom magma. It can be putted under the rocket, for recovering the heat generated by the engine. I build this for melting all the undesired materials i don't need. Whit a door compressor submerged in magma you lift from the bottom part of the map the magma you need. The wals are made from obsidian, doors wolfram and wires and sensor tungsten. Conveyor receiver and rails wolfram and drywall obsidian. 

when the magma reach the liquid sensor before the access door, stop the compressor. When the magma reach the top sensor close the access door, When the magma temperatures dropped before solidify point, the bottom doors open and the void deals whit it. I test it an it can melt 9 tones of regolith per cycle, or more if you multiply it. Instead of a vertical door it can be modify whit horizontal for magma access. 

Enjoy it. And if you can improve it you're welcome. My goal is to melt abbysalite but I need only insulators tiles and for now isn't any material capable for supporting the heat. Why abbysalite? Now it can't be transformed to sand. Only feeded to abbys bugs. I think i will grow this species for get rig of all the abbysalite on the map. 

image.thumb.png.9eecbdbac8cad7dce8d90c4e64f6b453.png

image.thumb.png.4e0a466f0caef8afab829bcc8bbe09f7.png

I use diamond window tiles with radiant thermium pipes to circulate steam and move the heat to a set of turbines located between two dual rocket silos.  It powers all of my LOX/LH2 creation and rocket fueling, and if above a certain temperature it will also provide excess power to my main power grid.  It has worked fairly well, though obviously I'm taking advantage of the fact that only one tile below the turbines is needed.

Spoiler

20190212125225_1.thumb.jpg.fee45e4fe79e080b0a00bedeab0907f6.jpg20190212125233_1.thumb.jpg.3cdbd079089bc5ebc8e5d7dbba06055a.jpg

Archived