Impartial Warbucks poll

What do you think about Warbucks?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Warbucks...

• Should be added back (with or without a rework)
    • Should stay out of the game
    • Neutral

2 minutes ago, Leonardo Cox said:

I would like a neutral option please. Warbucks never interested me because he just seemed really lacked luster and uninteresting. Although I don't really see a point in "removing" a character, honestly it doesn't really matter to me if hes gone or brought back in. 

Done, himiko 

Add him back in.
If someone pays for something, you don't take it away from them afterwards.
Imagine if they removed Woodie just because Maxwell does his job better? I love Woodie, and I liked Warbucks.
"You can add them back with mods" is a non argument, I shouldn't need to go to a third party to make sure a product I paid for is fully functional, whatever reason you guys claim to have removed him doesn't change the fact that he was a part of a package that was purchased.

3 hours ago, DoMaya said:

Add him back in.
If someone pays for something, you don't take it away from them afterwards.
Imagine if they removed Woodie just because Maxwell does his job better? I love Woodie, and I liked Warbucks.
"You can add them back with mods" is a non argument, I shouldn't need to go to a third party to make sure a product I paid for is fully functional, whatever reason you guys claim to have removed him doesn't change the fact that he was a part of a package that was purchased.

Thing is you paid for hamlet EA which means anything can change in the process of making the product. that's what you go through with that process if you buy early access.

2 hours ago, bugsmand said:

Thing is you paid for hamlet EA which means anything can change in the process of making the product. that's what you go through with that process if you buy early access.

Yes, anything can change, but uncerimoniously removing an entire character sets a dangerous precedent and is drastic

59 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Yes, anything can change, but uncerimoniously removing an entire character sets a dangerous precedent and is drastic

This implies EA games have never changed or removed things. Games like Starbound removed tons of mechanics and features and was a very different game now than what it was in the beginning of EA. Removing a character like Warbucks isn't that big of a change in terms of EA, and probably not even by DS standards (Research Points anyone?).

While people can be understandably upset that Warbucks was removed, treating it like it was some sort of crime is pretty ridiculous. 

15 minutes ago, Leonardo Cox said:

This implies EA games have never changed or removed things. Games like Starbound removed tons of mechanics and features and was a very different game now than what it was in the beginning of EA. Removing a character like Warbucks isn't that big of a change in terms of EA, and probably not even by DS standards (Research Points anyone?).

While people can be understandably upset that Warbucks was removed, treating it like it was some sort of crime is pretty ridiculous. 

I wouldn't say it was a crime, but man is it a bigger change than what has been done before. Research points was a mechanic, but it wasn't a character that acted as a part of the setting.

Warbucks just seems like a character that needed a bit of re-tooling, maybe a few changes to his art to make him fit in with the games style.

Winona is just as boring, but atleast her art fits (even though shes not from the right time period...).

I started out thinking this was just a descision made for artistic integrities sake, which I totally agreed with, but if its true that some """triggered""" idiot got offended because he came from a time period they dont like, then that would feel kinda crappy.

Do we need to toss Woodie out too?

1 minute ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

I wouldn't say it was a crime, but man is it a bigger change than what has been done before. Research points was a mechanic, but it wasn't a character that acted as a part of the setting.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you about treating it as a crime, some people are though. But while I disagree about the weight of characters compared to a lot of content in the game, especially mechanics like Research points, and while this certainly has been the biggest change made in DS in awhile. I don't think changes like these should be unexpected during development of an EA game or a game in development in general. 

I’m glad Warbucks is gone because his skintone was always weird and more importantly he is poorly designed.

Ignoring the cultural argument, he is garbage outside of Hamlet and isn’t even good within Hamlet.

I would really be surprised if this embarassing swell of support for Warbucks had even 10% of the people arguing for him actually playing him.

Wormwood is a much better example of the creativity I want from Klei and I’d be just as in support of Winona being removed for similar reasons.  Most of the SW characters have massive design flaws but since they’re not made by Klei I don’t judge them as harshly.

Removing Warbucks is consistent with Klei’d other recent actions such as planning reworks for all the characters starting with Winona who probably needs it the most.

A lot of people suddenly became pro-warbucks out of FOMO (dumb because he’s still playable) and because it’s fun to get riled up and complain, this forum’s favorite pastime.

Klei removing substandard content and replacing it with better content is nothing but good for the game.  Giving us a new, much better designed character in exchange was probably something they thought would cause less whining, but it is impossible not to overestimate the intelligence and maturity of the average poster on these forums.

Just now, Toros said:

I’m glad Warbucks is gone because his skintone was always weird and more importantly he is poorly designed.

Ignoring the cultural argument, he is garbage outside of Hamlet and isn’t even good within Hamlet.

I would really be surprised if this embarassing swell of support for Warbucks had even 10% of the people arguing for him actually playing him.

Wormwood is a much better example of the creativity I want from Klei and I’d be just as in support of Winona being removed for similar reasons.  Most of the SW characters have massive design flaws but since they’re not made by Klei I don’t judge them as harshly.

Removing Warbucks is consistent with Klei’d other recent actions such as planning reworks for all the characters starting with Winona who probably needs it the most.

A lot of people suddenly became pro-warbucks out of FOMO (dumb because he’s still playable) and because it’s fun to get riled up and complain, this forum’s favorite pastime.

Klei removing substandard content and replacing it with better content is nothing but good for the game.  Giving us a new, much better designed character in exchange was probably something they thought would cause less whining, but it is impossible not to overestimate the intelligence and maturity of the average poster on these forums.

Almost all of my playtime was with warbucks, but nice strawman. People actually liked him a lot, they just weren’t vocal about it until the removal because they had no reason to be

I’m not claiming no one played him, just that less people played him than are complaining he’s “gone”.

Even calling it a removal is intellectually dishonest because he’s still easily playable in a single player game.  You’re not negatively affected by his retired status.

(had to look up fomo, sounded like some exotic dip)

anyway yeah..I feel thats whats going on somewhat. he was there taken away an people don't like thinks taken away, thats just natural. but this really isn't something that can be won really. just use mods, the skeleton key of problems.

the only arguement you can make then is for console an then thats just meeeeeeh

I'm interested in warbucks replacement or the other hamlet additon

I bet its quite SMASHING!

Warbucks was boring to play and I'm glad he's been taken back to receive some reworks. As far as his character goes, I think Klei should have doubled down on his "colonist vibe". The characters are all have one or two defining traits that shape their personality (disdain for life and affinity for machines, puns and science, strong and dumb, fire etc.), but Warbucks didn't have that just "Old stuffy British guy".

Spoiler
On 2/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Ogrecakes said:

Winona is just as boring, but atleast her art fits (even though shes not from the right time period...).

Winona is boring to play, her character is not. Also she is from the right time period (1920s), her portrait just happens to be based on Rosie the Riveter, who is from the 1940s.

8 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Warbucks was boring to play and I'm glad he's been taken back to receive some reworks.

He's cut. Like, cut, cut. He isn't returning in any shape or form as was said yesterday. It hurts to say this, but it's true.

8 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Warbucks was boring to play and I'm glad he's been taken back to receive some reworks. As far as his character goes, I think Klei should have doubled down on his "colonist vibe". The characters are all have one or two defining traits that shape their personality (disdain for life and affinity for machines, puns and science, strong and dumb, fire etc.), but Warbucks didn't have that just "Old stuffy British guy".

Reveal hidden contents

Winona is boring to play, her character is not. Also she is from the right time period (1920s), her portrait just happens to be based on Rosie the Riveter, who is from the 1940s.

He got nuked from orbit and he's never coming back unless Klei says otherwise.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:49 AM, Toros said:

Nice gaslight you got there, the problem with removing a character for the reason they did is a conflict of artistic integrity.
Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean no one liked them, people have a legitimate reason to complain.
You can't denounce the dissenters as disingenuous, dude. Discrediting demands directed towards developers as "dumb" demeans dedicated discussions.

2 hours ago, DoMaya said:

Nice gaslight you got there, the problem with removing a character for the reason they did is a conflict of artistic integrity.
Just because you didn't like them doesn't mean no one liked them, people have a legitimate reason to complain.
You can't denounce the dissenters as disingenuous, dude. Discrediting demands directed towards developers as "dumb" demeans dedicated discussions.

them removing the character empowers artistic integrity its what the developers wanted to do with their character.

Archived