Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2019

3 hours ago, Trenix said:

The events were terrible, aside from being low quality mini-games, they literally gave the developers an excuse to abandon the core game which I honestly believe is in a very terrible and unfinished state

Combat in general in this game is terrible, especially when compared to what we saw in the forge.

So... combat in DST is terrible - compared to Forge. But then the events.. were also terrible. Hmmmm!

3 hours ago, Trenix said:

.. included the other 10+ mods that have to be added which make the game user-friendly. I bought a game, not an open source project. Mods are nice for addons, but shouldn't be required to make a game enjoyable.

..just surviving and doing the same thing every season. This is also a sandbox with little to no sense of progression. Same thing, different server.

I don't know what mods you are talking about and consider so necessary for you to play with, I for one prefer vanilla. But hey, your choice, your experience. However then, if you seem to dislike current DST so much... why are you still playing it? And why are you here belittling it so passionately? I also have played World of Tanks for quite some time, yet reached a point where I stopped liking it and.. left. Just like that, with a bit of regret but.. c'est la vie! No point in going on their forums to only complain about "how terrible and broken it is". If you truly consider DST a directionless open source project do yourself a solid and just.. move on. "Some" of us here do enjoy it, waiting with a certain hype for new content and do hope for future fixes without being seemingly so disconcerted.

PS: special XOXO to the pro-PvP lobbyist duo SweetChin and Lilith-TheKindHeartedGoddess (see what I did there? am so toxic you gonna die, PvP style ...of kisses and hugs :D - also sense of humor is a direct measurement of one's "short fuse".. you know, the thing emotionally unstable kids in PvP seem to "quickly burn" before exploding in chat spam profanities *wink wink*)

2 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

I don't know what mods you are talking about and consider so necessary for you to play with, I for one prefer vanilla. But hey, your choice, your experience. However then, if you seem to dislike current DST so much... why are you still playing it? And why are you here belittling it so passionately? I also have played World of Tanks for quite some time, yet reached a point where I stopped liking it and.. left. Just like that, with a bit of regret but.. c'est la vie! No point in going on their forums to only complain about "how terrible and broken it is". If you truly consider DST a directionless open source project do yourself a solid and just.. move on. "Some" of us here do enjoy it, waiting with a certain hype for new content and do hope for future fixes without being seemingly so disconcerted.

The game is still receiving support from Klei after years of release. Is it really such a bad idea to criticize and give feedback to Klei so that with the new character refreshes they're doing they touch on forgotten mechanics? Telling those who're criticizing the game to move on is a very dismissive thing to say....you yourself are here, arguing for DST to be a certain way. Should I tell you to move on if you disagree?

PS: special XOXO to the pro-PvP lobbyist duo SweetChin and Lilith-TheKindHeartedGoddess (see what I did there? am so toxic you gonna die, PvP style ...of kisses and hugs :D - also sense of humor is a direct measurement of one's "short fuse".. you know, the thing emotionally unstable kids in PvP seem to "quickly burn" before exploding in chat spam profanities *wink wink*)

You got called out for resorting to insults and jabs at the people who disagree with you and your reaction is to double down?

If your argument is any good there is no need to do things like these. This only makes you less agreeable. You 're making a fool out of yourself.

No one is belittling DST. If we hated the game, we wouldn't be on the forums giving suggestions on how to further improve it. I personally am not a fan of the "Don't like it, mod it" mentality. It works for some little applications, but with things as general balance/gamemodes, or even adding new features, is in my opinion something better done by the developers of the game themselves.

--

3 hours ago, Crimson Chin said:

You continue to call PVPers toxic, yet you have admitted to only playing on a PVP server once or twice. This is an assumption entirely. Toxicity will happen anywhere. Besides, you have always acted quite rude and just as toxic as these "PVPers" you are making up. Here are a few examples from the other post regarding pvp, that I will link.

Here's another one. I'm not even sure how to react to this. We're normal people trying to converse suggestions for a game, and you're once more trying to turn it into a hot-headed argument. Toxicity is relative, and from my perspective, you're being very toxic to us.

Tbh PvP is the mode to not keep you dry from this game. Believe me, building bases everyday can get really boring, and PvP is what always makes me come back to the game. PvP is epic, and these suggestions of PvP or other things in general can really help the devs and the game in general

wheel chair (no context)

4 minutes ago, Maximum101 said:

wheel chair (no context)

5 minutes ago, Maximum101 said:

wheel chair (no context)

wheel chair (no context)

wheel chair (no context)

PvP is fun and it is something that actually makes the game itself fun. Suggestions should always be acknowledged and I do believe PvP should be tinkered a little bit.Honestly, building bases all day can get super repetitive, and wheres the fun in that? Besides, if "PvP is broken" find ways to make it fun, like using really stupid strats. But lets be real, many things need to be fixed, and we as a community should help the devs find this problem

I don't know what mods you are talking about and consider so necessary for you to play with, I for one prefer vanilla. But hey, your choice, your experience. However then, if you seem to dislike current DST so much... why are you still playing it? And why are you here belittling it so passionately? I also have played World of Tanks for quite some time, yet reached a point where I stopped liking it and.. left. Just like that, with a bit of regret but.. c'est la vie! No point in going on their forums to only complain about "how terrible and broken it is". If you truly consider DST a directionless open source project do yourself a solid and just.. move on. "Some" of us here do enjoy it, waiting with a certain hype for new content and do hope for future fixes without being seemingly so disconcerted.

This is a point raised that most might not completely follow. I would like to believe that most people play a game because they enjoy it, and that's what I and many others have been doing for a long time now. With lengthened playtime, some can start to see flaws in a game, and for those that enjoy the game, we want to continue enjoying the game without having to see the game dig its own grave and doing nothing about it.

We don't mean to belittle the game at all, in fact, I would go as far to say that we love the game! It has its charm and, though it's rough around the edges, has potential to be even better than it already is. So to answer your question: We're still playing DST because we like the game. Your analogy about World of Tanks is, to say the least, quite defeatist. I understand that sometimes you have no power to make change in a game you like, but if I were in your shoes, I would at least try to express some of your concerns with the game, because in the end, it's still a game that you enjoyed from time to time. To say that others should "move on" if they're not enjoying the game is upsetting because you're driving away new players that are genuinely interested in a game that is, well, interesting!

I too will be waiting for new content, but I believe that the opinions of others should be valued, no matter what that opinion may be. All in all, I'm for DST's gamemodes and mechanics to be revised and improved upon, and this does include PvP. I also hope that you will refrain from being as condescending as you have been to the others, not to call out any names unless need be, because I don't want this game to die. I really don't, and even though PvP might be distasteful to you, it's more potential for new content that doesn't have to be forced into PvE. There are workarounds for many things in life and in video games, and I'm hoping that said workarounds benefit DST and all who enjoy the game, including the supposed 1-4% who have fun playing a niche gamemode.

50 minutes ago, AnnoyingAudience said:

Honestly, building bases all day can get super repetitive, and wheres the fun in that?

Tbh, nothing sound more boring to me than PvP. The Forge was incredibly boring and repetitive, although I liked the Gorge. I want new biomes and mobs and items and mechanics, not just more boring combat, so I would rather the devs invest in those things— which they are! (Yay!) I’ve  been playing this game for 5 years, so I don’t agree that it’s incomplete or lacking. I can’t imagine playing anything else for so long.

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

Endgame comes out the same night as the update....

Still playing DST all night

because of study and go to see the movie (without spoilers I hope) i will not be able to see update first date :c
Btw mayybe we could see some information tomorrow of update and twitch drops

11 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Tbh, nothing sound more boring to me than PvP. 

Perhaps you should try it out some more. There is tons of exciting things to do, and its so much fun with friends. PvP has potential to be a great sub-category gamemode, and the skill ceiling for PvP can be pretty high if you can kite opponents. Its also really satisfying to get a kill on it, and to be frank, with all the weapons that we have, and new content arriving to the base game, PvP can be quite an experience. Again, I think it would be optimal to have a small rework for PvP though. It could attract new players that are fans of games like Rust and like the PvP mechanic.

51 minutes ago, Sketched_Philo said:

51 minutes ago, Lillyth said:

*looks at time of both posts; looks at liking each other's posts; shrugs; such cases*

Sure, criticize. Do it constructively, with arguments and suggestions beyond "events were terrible/combat is terrible". And generally naming DST "open source project". What can I take from "I've already made it clear that I don't want it to be forced, but the game shouldn't focus on cooperative gameplay" when prior asking for cooperative game-play? That Klei should tell us via in-game pop-up "Well you all good people should shake hands and cooperate together...or not!" in lack of a co-op mechanic goading people towards a common goal?!

Then other people asks PvP be a Klei rework priority while the game clearly has a lot of other problems (some underlined in previous posts) not to mention the present delays in announced updates? Same people getting offended by a "You don't really think this through on global scale do you?! To actually understand why a big part of this forum is vocally against current DST PvP (yours truly obviously as well)?!" or "get people actually invested in DST PvP for quality mushing (some "tip-dipping greenhorns" too, heh)" enough to nitpick past threads out of apparently hurt Egos? Bet they are some great PvPers, not keeping grudges and the like, heh.

In the end what it should be stressed is Klei has limited resources and a small crew; yet are actively catering to player-base wishes in certain capacities some people deem way above most other devs/publishers do. However the catch is those limited resources and deemed prioritization in relation to scale of raised/pointed out by mass-of-players/etc problems: realistically in current circumstances you can't place PvP as an essential problem needing focus as a small-team developer when you have so much on the table already and knowing it has such a small  audience to begin with. Sure, do lobby it with your friends if such is your desire. But don't complain then when new delays will inevitably arise as a consequence - and frankly that's my core concern as I ultimately don't care about PvP.

PS: I'm not here to present myself in any shape or form, agreeable or not; all I want is information and trying to get across my point of view regarding how this game can be made better - inherent dose of subjectivity - knowing full well is only a point of view that very likely weighs almost nothing. Cheers and, as always, don't drink and drive! *winking intensifies* (love how peeps interpret non sequitur :D)

7 hours ago, AdventZen said:

All I read is picking on mechanics, pointing out things you don't like and suggesting vague ambiguous ideas. Can you be a bit more specific on your critiques? sure is easy to say "the PvP sucks and it's bad, fix it", but it helps nothing, buddy.

I mentioned many of them. Players can run in circles freely and destroy bases whether from demolishing or fires. Land ownership or some sort of base protection could help with this. There is also no CCs to catch players, no items that stun, slow, root, and so on. Combat also should be improved, like having better animations with chain attacks.

Actually, it does. The fact that most people are arguing about how PvE will change gives a good idea of much people care for PvP. James Bucket, Joeshmccoolstuff and Freddo aren't making videos on "how to main Wigfrid on PvP" they're making PvE videos, because that's the kind of thing people watch and want to see. If people wanted PvP, There'd be more fan-recognition and agreement on the subject.

This is just an overall terrible argument. PvP in this game was added, just to be added. It doesn't work because of the several obvious flaws I mentioned. For that reason, why would anyone play PvP? You're suggesting that no one plays PvP because no one wants it, when really it's people don't play it because it's crap and it's never been worked on since the day it's been implemented. I'm sure you've heard that correlation doesn't imply causation.

For example, I love PvP in games way more than PvE, but wouldn't play it here, because it's broken. I wouldn't doubt if much of the PvP crowd already left. Imagine if they released a PvP update? Man, wouldn't that be a dream.

The game is meant to be hard. it's SURVIVAL, not SLICE OF LIFE. Learning is an active part of the Permadeath gimmick. You get good from your mistakes, and create a general strategy from previous playthroughs. It's not easy, and that's not a problem.

There are plenty of survival games that are still user-friendly and difficult to survive in. In fact, there are better survival games out there which are far harder to survive in, despite them being user-friendly. So lack of user-friendliness, is not a good feature for any game. I've also played many games that were like this, where the developers wanted you to memorize everything on your own. It just so happens they many of those games have switched over to be more user-friendly.

Whether it was Wurm, Minecraft, Haven & Hearth, and so on. Also for a multiplayer game, you'd want players to join and be able to survive at any season. It should still be difficult, but not impossible.

Because it's Don't Starve Together and not Don't Starve while fighting like 4 other random guys
The main dish is always going to be Cooperation, PvP is just... a novelty. It's not the focus of the game.

"Cooperate with your friends in a private game, or take your chances with strangers online."

"Together" and "taking chances with strangers online", can mean many things.

6 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

So... combat in DST is terrible - compared to Forge. But then the events.. were also terrible. Hmmmm!

Yes, in my opinion, they really were. Sure some people might like it, but I honestly didn't. All I kept thinking was, "Whoa, they can make combat this good but never added it to the full game?" 

6 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

However then, if you seem to dislike current DST so much... why are you still playing it?

I came back because they finally went back to the core game and started reworking characters, hopefully for more cooperative gameplay. That and they said they will be adding overall more content. So here I am saying what I want, from features that have been abandoned. To me, this game reminds me of an old custom map in warcraft III, called jungle troll tribes. In that game it was difficult to survive and you still had PvP. So if this game added PvP and ways to CC players, this game would be golden for me.

I'm a PvP player, I've already beat PvE. Sure it's nice to have some more content, but PvP technically is end-game content. It also adds repayability, and these are two things that this game greatly lacks.

5 hours ago, AnnoyingAudience said:

Perhaps you should try it out some more. There is tons of exciting things to do, and its so much fun with friends. PvP has potential to be a great sub-category gamemode, and the skill ceiling for PvP can be pretty high if you can kite opponents. Its also really satisfying to get a kill on it, and to be frank, with all the weapons that we have, and new content arriving to the base game, PvP can be quite an experience. Again, I think it would be optimal to have a small rework for PvP though. It could attract new players that are fans of Rust and like PvP.

A PvP based rework would not be "small" 

They would have to completely change combat entirely and we finally got the devs to change character for PvE, which is undeniably the most played mode

Pls open another thread in the suggestions.. But don't try to impose urgency for a change that would be irrelevant to the vast majority of players. 

For this Roadmap, that's simply not gonna happen. 

As you said before, PvP is still a fun OPTION and it will still remain to be. But this character Update is not about that. 

4 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

A PvP based rework would not be "small" 

They would have to completely change combat entirely and we finally got the devs to change character for PvE, which is undeniably the most played mode

Pls open another thread in the suggestions.. But don't try to impose urgency for a change that would be irrelevant to the vast majority of players. 

For this Roadmap, that's simply not gonna happen. 

As you said before, PvP is still a fun OPTION and it will still remain to be. But this character Update is not about that. 

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but character stats and abilities could be different when playing on a server with PvP enabled. That way it wouldn't conflict with the PvE balancing. So the PvP rework would be small AND not affect PvE at all if done like this.

To give an example, Abigail does 25% of her damage when attacking players(Maxwell's duelists don't have a penalty at all and now I'm crying), and the werebeaver also has PvP damage penalties that only come into play in PvP. I would never argue these have affected my PvE experience in any way.

Also, Klei didn't state whether the update can touch on PvP or not. I'd assume it's up on the table for consideration.

Just now, Sketched_Philo said:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but character stats and abilities could be different when playing on a server with PvP enabled. That way it wouldn't conflict with the PvE balancing. So the PvP rework would be small AND not affect PvE at all if done like this.

To give an example, Abigail does 25% of her damage when attacking players(maxwell duelists don't have it and now I'm crying), and the werebeaver also has PvP damage penalties that only come into play in PvP. I would never argue these have affected my PvE experience in any way.

Also, Klei didn't state whether the update can touch on PvP or not. I'd assume it's up on the table for consideration.

pls suggest this in the suggestions section.. it belongs there

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

pls suggest this in the suggestions section.. it belongs there

This is relevant to the current discussion, so I will post it here.

I also have a persistent suspicion that the suggestions channel doesn't get much attention from the developers......

6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm just gonna have to touch up on these statements you said:

If it was changed, it would not be irrelevant at all. If klei were to listen to us and create a more balanced, better experience for PvP, people are gonna play it. Think about it, if there is a balanced system where no matter what character you use, you can win. Each character has a weakness and the strong extra damage characters (Wolfgang, Wigfrid) or characters with a gimmick that can either create an imbalance in the system, in terms of PvP, (Wortox, Wickerbottom) would be slightly toned down and have an easy counter to them. For example, Wicker would have more start up time on Sleepytime Stories and the spell is released on, let's say, frame 20 or longer of that animation, but retains its range. That way, a player can easily counter her if they see her, making it not broken and a fair way to balance it out. If new or old players see that PvP has been changed for easier and more fair combat, it would become anything but irrelevant, attracting old and new players alike.

Like I said before, it can become enhanced and popularized by Klei. They have all the power to do such a course of action, and I can assure you, a PvP rework would keep the game fresh and interesting, because maybe you wanna see your favorite iconic Don't Starve characters duke it out with a various selection of weapons, armor, strategies, or maybe you want an extra twist to your typical survival. If these things were to be tinkered, we would have a perfect survival game. That way, you can choose between a fair PvE system and a fair PvP system so that both fans of those modes can enjoy what they want. This character update could include ways to balance out PvP, like I said, toning down imbalances, and creating characters that can be fit for a fighting environment, much like @Sketched_Philo's point. It wouldn't be irrelevant at all if PvP was tinkered and I can assure you, player numbers would rise. Some players might not be into the whole shtick of building bases and just surviving, and a lot of players wanna have an experience similar to that of PvP survival games, such as Rust, Minecraft, etc. 

DST has the potential to become an excellent PvE and PvP game with both modes focused on one thing: teamwork. You can form alliances in PvP, which still remains it's team orientated title, and PvE, of course, working together. 

In conclusion, Klei has all the power to use this character update to update PvP's system. Of course, I believe that it should be focused on after all the characters on their agenda are rebalanced, and then touch up on PvP. All of the cast of this game are unique in their own way, and changing them slightly for specifically PvP can keep the game fresh and new for old and new players alike.

1 hour ago, AnnoyingAudience said:

I'm just gonna have to touch up on these statements you said:

If it was changed, it would not be irrelevant at all. If klei were to listen to us and create a more balanced, better experience for PvP, people are gonna play it. Think about it, if there is a balanced system where no matter what character you use, you can win. Each character has a weakness and the strong extra damage characters (Wolfgang, Wigfrid) or characters with a gimmick that can either create an imbalance in the system, in terms of PvP, (Wortox, Wickerbottom) would be slightly toned down and have an easy counter to them. For example, Wicker would have more start up time on Sleepytime Stories and the spell is released on, let's say, frame 20 or longer of that animation, but retains its range. That way, a player can easily counter her if they see her, making it not broken and a fair way to balance it out. If new or old players see that PvP has been changed for easier and more fair combat, it would become anything but irrelevant, attracting old and new players alike.

Like I said before, it can become enhanced and popularized by Klei. They have all the power to do such a course of action, and I can assure you, a PvP rework would keep the game fresh and interesting, because maybe you wanna see your favorite iconic Don't Starve characters duke it out with a various selection of weapons, armor, strategies, or maybe you want an extra twist to your typical survival. If these things were to be tinkered, we would have a perfect survival game. That way, you can choose between a fair PvE system and a fair PvP system so that both fans of those modes can enjoy what they want. This character update could include ways to balance out PvP, like I said, toning down imbalances, and creating characters that can be fit for a fighting environment, much like @Sketched_Philo's point. It wouldn't be irrelevant at all if PvP was tinkered and I can assure you, player numbers would rise. Some players might not be into the whole shtick of building bases and just surviving, and a lot of players wanna have an experience similar to that of PvP survival games, such as Rust, Minecraft, etc. 

DST has the potential to become an excellent PvE and PvP game with both modes focused on one thing: teamwork. You can form alliances in PvP, which still remains it's team orientated title, and PvE, of course, working together. 

In conclusion, Klei has all the power to use this character update to update PvP's system. Of course, I believe that it should be focused on after all the characters on their agenda are rebalanced, and then touch up on PvP. All of the cast of this game are unique in their own way, and changing them slightly for specifically PvP can keep the game fresh and new for old and new players alike.

All these changes are major.. This is gonna take a huge amount of Dev time for an underused feature

And after so much time of waiting for a rebalance for the 97% of the Player base, why should the devs pay any pressing attention to an underused feature that only 3% or less cares about. 

That's why I ask you to place this on the suggestions... Cuz this would require a change of focus for another update 

Rn PvE should take precedence. 

Archived