Should i start a playthrough now (v 302293) or wait

Hi all,

I stopped playing for awhile after the geyser/volcano update which was i think in March 2018. Since then there have been a lot of content changes. I would like to know whether i should give the current version a try or wait for a more stable (balanced) version. This is cause a lot of changes seem pretty bad  like removal of recipes till you have all the ingredients, removal of abysallite as insulator. Im also noticing a lot less algae at start and this would mean a rush to SPOM right in the beginning. I would especially like know whether in the current update, is the base self sustainable and if not how many cycles till DOOM or unplayable lag. 

Some additional info: Im not a hardcore player and i do have (an ugly)  base about 800 cycles old so i know all the basic and a couple of advance concepts.

tl:dr : Is it worth it to start a new play through in the latest version. Please keep it as spoiler free as you can, THANK YOU.

P.S. Does anyone know the release date or estimated release date.  

of course it's worth it. new updates only bring new excitement to the game. and also the devs said that they already done adding major change and new features and now they focus on polishing what's already exist in the game. so i guess it's the right time to start playing again.

about nerfing some stuff i actually like it since it brings more color and depth to the game. you will need to change your approach to the game and make it even more rewarding when you can actually make a working setup.

early game is quite rough i should say. you will need to constantly monitor your colony but once you hit midgame it's quite slow and relax to start your bigger and crazier setup and preparing for lategame. i find this stage of the game is the best since you dont need to babysit your colony anymore and you can begin to explore new ideas to tackle some problems that might or already occur in your base. especially since you havent played for so long i can only imagine this would be more fun to you.

and of course it's possible to make a sustainable base. once you make your own playstyle it will be quite easy. give it a go mate :) 

I don`t think you are geting less algae in the starting biome. Semmed the same for me. Still enough to sustain you through the early game without the need to rush anything. Also there are a few terrarium designs floating around the forum.

Abyssalite is no longer a building material but lets be honest. It was too good that early on. We got a weaker replacement material as well as pretty good systems to keep the temperature low later on. Also wheezeworts still exist and do their job pretty nicely.

As for lag there was some work done to reduce it. As long as you don`t get a crazy amount of critters it should be fine.

42 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Hey thanks yall. I was really hoping i could start ONI again.

Only one unanswered question remains. The release date? Any ideas?

Depends on how long you want to wait. This thursday there will be a preview version of QoL Mark II, but the actual live version of that will have to wait 3 weeks. So in your case, there are only 2 options: either play now, because in my experience the stability and framerate has never been better, or wait 3 weeks for the next release, which will be a further enhancement for sure. Plus in the off chance new things are being added to the world gen you don't want to miss out on, last time it were additional plants, you also might want to wait for the next full release.

Also, I don't agree with a few things in your first post. I think not having access to recipes unless you have discovered the separate ingredients, is very helpful because they take up needlessly space. Also the change for removal of abyssalite is a good thing (and a balance thing which you asked for). Now you actually need to think a little bit about insulation instead of slapping abyssalite onto everything, plus with ceramic you have a decent alternative.

I do agree with algae, although for other reasons than oxygen. There's more than enough algae to stretch it to like cycle 200 comfortably for pure oxygen production (for 9-10 dupes), but not even enough to stretch it 50 cycles to feed a fish tank.

46 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Hey thanks yall. I was really hoping i could start ONI again.

Only one unanswered question remains. The release date? Any ideas?

I meant the release date for the full game. Like official release when the game is out of alpha/beta.

2 hours ago, Tab1 said:

I meant the release date for the full game. Like official release when the game is out of alpha/beta.

Difficult to say. The game needs a lot of fine tuning still, and there will be one last themed content update as well. Don't expect a full release the first half year.

Currently, the devs improve some prios neglected things, and working hard on performance. They introduced multithreading for pipes not long ago, an its a major performance boost. 

You may want to wait for the QOL II update, because they may change some aspects of the game then again. But in general, its very well playable now. 

12 hours ago, Neotuck said:

No need to rush SPOM, most players now use Algae Terrariums instead of Oxygen Diffusers (formally called Algae Deoxidizers)

they use less algae and can produce more O2

Quite frankly, no way. Wasting that water this way is no option for me. Water is reserve oxygen via one dupe on a hamster wheel.

4 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

Currently, the devs improve some prios neglected things, and working hard on performance. They introduced multithreading for pipes not long ago, an its a major performance boost.  

That one is very nice! I used to delay central base cooling as long as possible because it came with a major performance hit. Not anymore.

5 hours ago, Papartichaud said:

Just a quick note about performance, i have a 21 00+ base, dug everything and the game is really stable, the performances have been improved a lot ! :)

Sans titre 1.jpg

2 questions:

1) Why ther is an insulation on both sides?

2) Can we have a savefile for this base?:)

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

That has not been announced yet, but we have been told it's soon

5 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Difficult to say. The game needs a lot of fine tuning still, and there will be one last themed content update as well. Don't expect a full release the first half year.

So we currently have 8 week release cycles. My guess is:

QoL II: 2/7

Balance I: 4/4

Balance II: 5/30

Theme surprise I: 7/25

Theme surprise II / Final Release: 9/19

What do you all think?

** Note I am simply making these dates up based on the 8 week cycle and a wild guess on count **

** These dates are not confirmed **

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Quite frankly, no way. Wasting that water this way is no option for me. Water is reserve oxygen via one dupe on a hamster wheel.

Waste water?  I take it you haven't seen my build I have shared multiple times on the forum.  

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Waste water?  I take it you haven't seen my build I have shared multiple times on the forum.  

Apparently not. I went back to Oxygen Diffusers and SPOM only for O2 this last base. Man is it a pain and a waste of algae after getting used to Algae Terrariums. 

10 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I was merely reacting to "most players now use Algae Terrariums instead of Oxygen Diffusers". And no, I am not particularly interested in your build when you talk about "most players".  Or do you think your build is so great and without alternatives that almost everybody uses it?

Here is an alternative: Use Diffusers until algae becomes a hassle, then go to self-cooled Electrolyzers based on filtered pwater. I think next time, I will try to go to Electrolyzers directly. I do not think the 30% oxygen advantage of Terrariums is worth all that additional effort.

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I was merely reacting to "most players now use Algae Terrariums instead of Oxygen Diffusers". And no, I am not particularly interested in your build when you talk about "most players". 

I'll correct my statement and say "most players who have seen my post"

would you like a link to it?

Or do you think your build is so great and without alternatives that almost everybody uses it?

Every one that has seen it, yes

Efficiency wise it surpasses the SPOM and the only bottleneck resource you need to worry about is sand which is easier find/make than algae and water, not to mention you get unlimited regolith from the surface

It works so well that I have not needed to build an electrolyzer until I needed hydrogen for rockets

Here is an alternative: Use Diffusers until algae becomes a hassle, then go to self-cooled Electrolyzers based on filtered pwater. I think next time, I will try to go to Electrolyzers directly. I do not think the 30% oxygen advantage of Terrariums is worth all that additional effort.

No one has complained about my build before and the only reason you have is you refuse to look at it

You pass judgment on my build without trying or seeing it and you try to tell other players on this forum better methods?

survey-says-mmlvxk.thumb.jpg.b0c2959d94ef33b102f8c1938dbef3a6.jpg

@Neotuck @Gurgel Ok let's stop the hostilities, no need for it.

Gurgel, I don't know if you realise, but algae terrariums give since a long time polluted water back. Infact, they consume 300g/s water and produce 290.33g/s in return. So you are only loosing a tiny, tiny bit of water.

Neotuck, let's not generalize either and claim most players use it. I personally use diffusers more than algae terrariums. Yes, that's not optimal game play as terrariums are clearly better, but that's on me and me being lazy.

1 hour ago, yoakenashi said:

Yes please. Is it the “Early O2 farm” topic?

I’m pretty set in my ways, but always like to see alternatives people have.

yes it is and I have upgraded the design, here's a pic of the latest version

extra water from my bathrooms seems to keep it going just fine, this pic was taken around cycle 500 and I haven't needed to tap a steam vent for water yet

I still have over 20 tons of algae most of which came from the starting biome

20181212063136_1.thumb.jpg.83fe585b7e16f5217d27930f6c0bda10.jpg

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Every one that has seen it, yes

Talk about an extremely over-sized ego. I just looked it up to check, and I _had_ seen it, just dismissed it as not interesting. 

16 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

@Neotuck @Gurgel Ok let's stop the hostilities, no need for it.

Gurgel, I don't know if you realise, but algae terrariums give since a long time polluted water back.

I know this. But what do I want with that when I get into pwater economy late or not at all in my play-style? And what if I want a compact oxygen installation? My point is that there are different styles to go at this with no specific one being superior. Anybody that thinks there is a single best approach and anybody else must use it or be labelled a retard is just completely off his rocker. 

I have run into such "alpha-posters" in the past and I have very little tolerance for their primitive dominance games.

16 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Talk about an extremely over-sized ego. I just looked it up to check, and I _had_ seen it, just dismissed it as not interesting. 

I know this. But what do I want with that when I get into pwater economy late or not at all in my play-style? And what if I want a compact oxygen installation? My point is that there are different styles to go at this with no specific one being superior. Anybody that thinks there is a single best approach and anybody else must use it or be labelled a retard is just completely off his rocker. 

Again, that is your own playstyle, and we all respect that. I personally don't use them because they don't fit in my playstyle, but I do know if I want to strive for more efficiency this is the way to go compared to oxygen diffusers. But your playstyle, your own rules. Heck, I think I play quite similar like you because I also have a compact oxygen installation around an AETN, which suites me very well.

But when you make an argument that they are water-costly, while they really are not as you can so easily sieve the water or use it for a pletora of other means, then that is sincerely a wrong statement.

I do agree neotuck should have been a bit less ehm "all up in your face". That was unnecessary, but in his defence you reacted quite a bit agitated as well. Let's just shake hands, move on and debate in peace.

43 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

27 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I do agree neotuck should have been a bit less ehm "all up in your face". That was unnecessary, but in his defence you reacted quite a bit agitated as well. Let's just shake hands, move on and debate in peace.

The whole thing started when he quoted my suggestion saying they are a waste of water, my reaction was defending my suggestion because I knew they don't when used properly

yes my ego was bruised and I overreacted and for that I'm sorry

I agree the debate is getting out of hand and enough people in the forums like my builds that I don't have to defend them to every person

Archived