Is Don't Starve! missing drinkable items?

Drinkable items in Dont Starve?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Drinkable items in Dont Starve?

• Yay! always wanted.
    • Nay! doesn't make sense.
    • i dont care

Iv'e enjoyed Don't Starve half a year now and must say its evolving in a very nice way.Although with the Winter update coming and the Insanity Patch currently running, i somehow see a possibility to widen this game's "repertoire" by adding drinkable food.Let me illustrate:new item: Milk-> Cow/Beefalo female -> other forms of Milk (like Monster Milk)refined Milk-> Hot Milk (cooked in a Milk pod probably?) restores warmth-> Hot Milk with Honey restores warmth and sanity-> Hot Milk with Candy restores warmth and more sanity (because you have to cook candy)-> Cocoa (probably would need plant or farming from seed) restores more warmth than Milknew item: Brewary stuffBeer, Schnaps, Wine ... only for grown-ups of course (Wilson, Wolfgang, Wickerbottom)-> I'm still out on the effects, but i guess a short immunity/resistance to insanity loss but simultaneously making you drowsyI could go on, but i think i made my point.Let me know if you like the idea or if im completely out of line[or if you dont bother at all =)]

Doesn't have to be more meters.It's funny because when people suggest removing the current meters like insanity or hunger, a lot of people don't like not being able to see them, but they also don't want more.Animations, text, and sound is enough to let you know you are hungry, thirsty, or going insane.

while any new food is good food (unless its bad food)i don't think it should come with a thirst meter given that the time you can go with out water in the real world is much less than how long you can go with out foodbut drinks as food is ok but maybe have it so you can still move/walk while consuming drinks

There was crafting, building, brewing, farming, fighting, and mobs that ran at you and exploded in games before minecraft.Don't confuse your first experience with originality, because there is no such thing. I personally think minecraft's lego building aspect is what made it unique, not the other stuff.

Although with the Winter update coming and the Insanity Patch currently running, i somehow see a possibility to widen this game's "repertoire" by adding drinkable food.

Yes, this has been suggested before by various forum members, and I've certainly seen no reason why it couldn't be added to the game.

new item: Milk

-> Cow/Beefalo female

-> other forms of Milk (like Monster Milk)

Commonly it's been suggested that milk could be collected from beefalo (the female variety, of course). Various means were suggested as to how this could be accomplished but I'm partial to needing the beefalo hat, to pretend you're a baby beefalo, then using a wooden bucket (suggested by forum members) or clay pot (mentioned in a Dev thread discussing "rot") to collect the milk.

Milk had four suggested purposes:

1) Drinking to saitiate hunger.

2) As a component in a "drink" recipe.

3) Feeding it to baby beefalo (to tame and eventually ride them, once they've grow into adults).

4) Churning the milk into butter.

-> Hot Milk (cooked in a Milk pod probably?) restores warmth

Over a campfire or firepit? Sure, why not? As above, this could be done by containing the milk inside either a bucket or pot.

-> Hot Milk with Honey restores warmth and sanity

-> Hot Milk with Candy restores warmth and more sanity (because you have to cook candy)

These don't really sound like recipes for a drink... did you have a suggested name for the drink?

-> Cocoa (probably would need plant or farming from seed) restores more warmth than Milk

Chocolate milk? Interestingly, they have milk and cocoa beans in Minecraft, but no chocolate milk. It's odd, when you think about it.

Another forum member suggested that we should be able to combine water, honey, and flower petals to create tea (a cup of tea, to be specific). I thought that was a good idea, since it would restore a small amount of Hunger while restoring a goodly sum of Sanity. After all, what's more civilized than a good spot of tea?

new item: Brewary stuff

Beer, Schnaps, Wine ... only for grown-ups of course (Wilson, Wolfgang, Wickerbottom)

-> I'm still out on the effects, but i guess a short immunity/resistance to insanity loss but simultaneously making you drowsy

You want to include an alcohol still in the game? Um, I don't think that will fly, but hey, what do I know? However, alcohol aside, I don't think we should add another plaecable item to the game, rather, we should use the existing "tool" for crafting food recipes, namely the crock pot. I know it sounds a bit strange, but it's the easy answer. You just place you bucket/pot of milk or water inside the crock pot, add 3 more ingredients, and let it cook. So...

Chocolate Milk = Cocoa Beans (x3) + Milk

Tea = Flower Petals (x2) + Honey + Water

Fruit Smoothie = Fruits (x2) + Honey + Milk

Protein Shake = Meats (x2) + Egg + Milk

Vegetable Juice = Vegetables (x3) + Water

Of course when I say meat I wouldn't include Monster Meat in that recipe. In addition players have suggested we include drinks that do more than just satiate Hunger, such as making you move faster, heal, or various other effects. I wasn't against all those ideas, but I was against calling the drinks "potions", as I preferred calling them "tonics" or "draughts".

This is a suggestion/idea right? *cough cough*

At least there's no thirst meter; I'm totally OK with this.

Oh no, you didn't! Why you gotta be hatin' the Thirst? :p

There's already Health, Hunger, Sanity, not to mention Dapperness, Naughtiness and Warmth to deal with. Can we just lay off the meters?Anyway, Kevin said that the character gets his/her water from his/her feed, like an animal.

Thirst-meter is off the table ... at least mineWe got enuff 'balls to juggle' imho.

I would like to see, not a thirst meter, not a thirst mechanic, nothing of that sort!

But now in the current game, I would like to see perhaps, a juicer? I always wanted to juice my veggies and fruit. <3

Okay yeah the idea of drinkable items tacked on to the food system has already been tossed around, but I'm thinking not making them much of a food refiller, and more of a health/sanity/warmth upper, whiles having very little hunger filling effect if any.

This would be interesting, as the drinks in question would be made with the same things you'd normally eat, and you would build a new machine for drink making (New machines are always good). Then you would have to decide between roasting the food for hunger, or juicing/drink making it for health/sanity/what ever else instead.

Heck, if this idea is vegetable exclusive, then everything would fit right into a juicer concept and give veggies more use than just crock pot fillers (Yeah I know dragon fruit and what not, but most grown produce isn't useful like that.), and more worth while to grow as opposed to just rabbit hunting and what not.

So they said they aren't letting Kevin add anything new to the game, but I would love to see this possibly post launch perhaps, think it would make a lot of sense and help flesh out the current direction as far as food use now.

Edited by RedDeBlu

Would it be possible to tie together both hunger,and thirst? like for example some fruits should increase both hunger,and very small amount of thirst,where as like meats increase alot of hunger,but lower your thirst. something like that i think would tie in nicely