Jump to content

New recolor kills the unique Hamlet flavor - PLS REVERSE


What do think about new Hamlet colors?  

95 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you wanna reverse to old Hamlet colors?

    • Reverse to old Hamlet colors
      42
    • Keep new colors
      53


Recommended Posts

1. I'm not a fan of the large grass tufts changes cuz it feels to me way to SW-like and the gamma patterns are very inconsistent:

when u dig out the large grass tuft, it turns yellow as it was before

20190111075103_1.thumb.jpg.83448b2ad8a928dbd43ac7d385dc8993.jpg

When u wack the grass tuft u get yellow grass, like it was before

20190111071848_2.thumb.jpg.12462dbf11a0280c5998a88d44e1798e.jpg

2. Claw Palm Trees color look absolutely washed out. Pls compare old vs new. They kinda disappear in the strong green flavor around them and don't look as unique anymore.

20181224003257_2.thumb.jpg.6dd5353805b5a8e6f3af17674ba14bc0.jpg

 20190111074943_1.thumb.jpg.fe2eecf76f67cede960cb1b9eee4b9b6.jpg

 

3. thurderbird biome and jungle turf colors look washed out. compared old ones vs new ones

Old:

20181221121023_1.thumb.jpg.7bf8f4ab5002312c0fc7fa065a6244f1.jpg

New:

20190111133534_1.thumb.jpg.62740923d9c528e49629c3f826752b51.jpg

Old:

20190102094240_2.thumb.jpg.97f46f5886ecac50502378ad68309f5f.jpg

New:

20190111141659_1.thumb.jpg.f9dcfb3b891e009811aa817b73d1163b.jpg

 

4. the new Hamlet screen also reminiscent of SW. Doesn't say anything unique when u first see it and this color in not primary in the Hamlet Palette.

20190111071610_1.thumb.jpg.f25211ae97d6ef05b4cf25583f97a22b.jpg

5. new exotic flower designs stand out more than old ones. no uniformity (pls compare to adjecent exotic flowers for comparison)

They look weird compared to the old ones. It's clear to me the people in charge of the old exotic lowers and the new ones are different people and it shows in a bad way. I suspect that the new ones have a super strong black outline to make them more realistic. Pls retouch all exotic flowers to make them look ALL like they belong together.

20190111073229_2.thumb.jpg.cc9c2fa2e237be1ffad443b83302b15e.jpg

 

20190111071649_2.thumb.jpg.ea61bac377d5422678576bbbda5eba7e.jpg

 

PLS REVERSE TO OLD HAMLET PALETTE. 

SW is known to have a strong green presence. I don't understand why the design team want to give Hamlet a green look, when SW clearly owns a strong green palette.

IMO, these changes KILL the uniqueness of the magenta/yellow/orang-y Hamlet palette. Pls bring back the unique Hamlet flavor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it'd be better to wait some time to try to get used to the new palette before deciding if it actually does need to be reverted. I don't think it looks bad, necessarily, just a little weird for what I'm used to seeing when I play the game.

I do agree that grass plant/item color needs to be consistent. That could just be an oversight by the developers, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Electroely said:

I think it'd be better to wait some time to try to get used to the new palette before deciding if it actually does need to be reverted. I don't think it looks bad, necessarily, just a little weird for what I'm used to seeing when I play the game.

I do agree that grass plant/item color needs to be consistent. That could just be an oversight by the developers, though.

I understand that this is something new, but tbh this is not a good change.. as I explained before I think this steals from the original greenish look in SW and makes Hamlet look less unique in terms of color as it was before. I think this is the time to say honestly what we think it's best for Hamlet's aesthetic. I'm all in favor of changes, but not if they make the game dull and uninteresting looking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shipwrecked is more blue than anything beside in moonson (greenish because it's the equivalent of spring) and in volcano season (orange). 

Hamlet being more green is an excellent change imo. It really help with the feel of the whole rainforest plateaus based on monteverde Klei was going for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I understand that this is something new, but tbh this is not a good change.. as I explained before I think this steals from the original greenish look in SW and makes Hamlet look less unique in terms of color as it was before. I think this is the time to say honestly what we think it's best for Hamlet's aesthetic. I'm all in favor of changes, but not if they make the game dull and interesting looking. 

I think of Hamlet is better now, it's subjective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

Shipwrecked is more blue than anything beside in moonson (greenish because it's the equivalent of spring) and in volcano season (orange). 

Hamlet being more green is an excellent change imo. It really help with the feel of the whole rainforest plateaus based on monteverde Klei was going for.

SW is not blue. it's green dude. all seasons except summer have an intense aquamarine green color

Link to comment
Share on other sites

+  to ones, who likes it.

Old poisonous coloring kinda was one of the reasons, why I stopped playing Hamlet, it was causing some anxious feeling, like something bad is gonna happen, pretty much like midday horror. Now it’s more dark and calmer, so I’m ok with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with you on the grass not being the right color but beside that... Id have to agree with the changes. The flowers dont have to be all super complex and i actually like the first pic you posted of it. The simple design make it good. Im neutral about the tree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Do the colors change more noticeably with the season change? This is one thing that I wished for in Hamlet.

yeap colors change a lot specially in lush season... it adds a very saturated green-yellowish filter

53 minutes ago, Yokoblue said:

The flowers dont have to be all super complex and i actually like the first pic you posted of it. 

Im not talikign about complexity but about making all exotic flowrs look like they are exotic flowers, meaning, that they have something in common. I think the new exotic flowers look weird compared to the others cuz they have a strong black outline.. I think all should have that to make them look like they belong together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only color change I dislike is the iron biome, which used to have such a beautiful painted desert look to it. I see why the cork trees' foliage was changed: In the old version I sometimes mistook them out of the corner of my eye for jungle trees because both had pink leaves. I think the new ones look great, tbh. Mossy turf and cultivated turf are more brilliant and pretty now -- mossy turf maybe even too much. 

I wonder if world gen has been tweaked too. My pig village was basically surrounded by jungle. Sometimes I've had it close-ish to the jungle, but in this case the Slanty Shanty was in the shade of the vines and you can't get to the village at all without walking through jungle.

If there are indeed more ponds, I hope there will also be more we can do with them. The ponds in Hamlet are gorgeous but not used for much besides picking lotuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope green menu also gets a change as well. They probably changed menu because it was almost the same color as UI, but green is definitely missing in hamlet. Taking into account colors of clouds, ruins/treasures and trailer old color was more suitable for this DLC. Old color might be made a little bit darker, so ui stands out a bit more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that with the new colors, Hamlet's visuals are closer to the original Don't Starve than Shipwrecked's visuals are. Certainly, everything looks more bleak, especially the new design of the clouds surrounding the islands (there is another consistency issue with the steam clouds that sometimes pop up from there).

The one thing I don't understand is the addition of the aqua/green-blue color tones. I was actually hoping for a Claw Palm Tree recolor, but the new ones do not fit nicely into their biome at all in my opinion. The Rainforest biome with the new blue turf and the pink trees reminds me very much of The Gorge. There, this combination fit very nicely to the gloomy victorianesque design, but in Hamlet I find it very distracting and unpleasing to the eyes in combination with the orange and gold tones and the exotic environment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mueck said:

I think that with the new colors, Hamlet's visuals are closer to the original Don't Starve than Shipwrecked's visuals are. Certainly, everything looks more bleak, especially the new design of the clouds surrounding the islands (there is another consistency issue with the steam clouds that sometimes pop up from there).

The one thing I don't understand is the addition of the aqua/green-blue color tones. I was actually hoping for a Claw Palm Tree recolor, but the new ones do not fit nicely into their biome at all in my opinion. The Rainforest biome with the new blue turf and the pink trees reminds me very much of The Gorge. There, this combination fit very nicely to the gloomy victorianesque design, but in Hamlet I find it very distracting and unpleasing to the eyes in combination with the orange and gold tones and the exotic environment.

exactly... there is weird strong color palette reminiscent of SW and I don't get it. All those green/aquamarine pastel filters are killing the exotic mood. It takes of the cool crazy exotic experience.. and also as mentioned before it's more a "calmed" feeling now, which absolutely contradicts the game's motto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

exactly... there is weird strong color palette reminiscent of SW and I don't get it. All those green/aquamarine pastel filters are killing the exotic mood. It takes of the cool crazy exotic experience.. and also as mentioned before it's more a "calmed" feeling now, which absolutely contradicts the game's motto.

I prefer the new colors, I often confused claw palm trees jungle trees, problem solved. I see you are dissatisfied on this point, I have the impression that it frustrates you, I hope that you will overcome this problem which disturbs you, because I do not think that Klei will change. Personally I prefer the game like this, before the update QOL I found the game not very beautiful, especially compared to DS and SW who had lawns "incoherent", while Hamlet turfs supposed to be exotic, look like a weird pile of colors, I think they mitigated that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, that the title screen coloring is too "Leprechaun" green and doesn't make me think of the jungle in hamlet (If that was what it was aiming for). I did like the old tan color since it matches the ruins (Unless the ruins color changed...). I'm fine with a lot of the other stuff (Maybe not the Claw tree leave color).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...