Yet another Glossy Drecko farm

Hello everyone,

I decided to share with you my glossy Drecko farm, maybe someone will like it.

This is final version of it - it actually took me some changes, but now it runs with no issues for like 2k cycles.

So:

It is maximum size of stable. I used simple logic to keep hydrogen in one place - therefore it can be implemented even before atmo suits (i tend to keep all my farms after checkpoint so dupes can run freely in different rooms)

Idea was yo setup something relatively simple that can get change over time changing slowly drecko to glossy drecko farm.

1st stage. At the beginning i setup normal farm tiles and plant Mealwood. hydrogen had been pump there already. No lights

2nd stage. i changed half farm tiles to hydro and planted blossoms there. and added lights

3. added pumps to limit water (every flower get like 3kg per cycle - which is enough to feed dreckos but not use a lot of water)

4. changed rest of farm tiles, and voila.

Yes dreckos occasionally run away from this farm and i need to catch them (or i just leave them to wonder around)

Yes occasionally i get normal drecko instead of glossy one - i leave it to starve to death or remove egg from stable

Overall it might not be the most awesome incredible design but in my opinion is quite easy to setup and improve after.

Any ideas of improvements - please let me know

Main.thumb.jpg.57409df558a38305fbe8b94f83f133bf.jpg 

Plumbing.thumb.jpg.dfb73c6c6a7cc07e4dc3083e9237e400.jpg

Power.thumb.jpg.a3e92ab9e15a9396eb8178a616faba91.jpg

Farm.thumb.jpg.967c52584b725a0b53a623a45b688167.jpg

26 minutes ago, fishoutofwater said:

limiting plant's growth mean, plants in any percentage growth provide same kcal for dreckos?

Yes. They grow slower but gives the came kcal. Drecko eat 1 stage of plant frowth (i dunno percantage but every stage i count when plant change image). 

28 minutes ago, fishoutofwater said:

why using ceiling light instead of lamps?it's a tight place, lamps could cover more bristle.

It is due to space need. Celling doesn't take space "on a floor" where lamp takes one more tile. Therefore all tiles on ground floor are used for plants

Change the door to make it escape proof by:

Move the door down one tile. 

Eliminate the painting next to the door and put 2 tiles next to where the door was. 

Eliminate the two tiles directly under the tiles you added the previous step. 

Change the tiles under the door to ladders. 

I stole this from Neotuck and have never had a Drecko escape. 

Here's a link to one of his posts showing the door setup:

20 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Change the door to make it escape proof by:

Move the door down one tile. 

Eliminate the painting next to the door and put 2 tiles next to where the door was. 

Eliminate the two tiles directly under the tiles you added the previous step. 

Change the tiles under the door to ladders. 

I stole this from Neotuck and have never had a Drecko escape. 

Here's a link to one of his posts showing the door setup:

Cool idea. Will do that

7 minutes ago, camelot said:

Nice setup. But in this layout, it's hard to include auto-sweeper to transport eggs and phosphorite automatically

True that. Didn't think about autosweeper when i built it as farmer on way back transport meat and plastic. Phosphorite i just ignore as there is plenty of it. But it is definitly area of inprovement. Thx men i will play with it to add autosweeper. 

18 hours ago, Neotuck said:

This pic is a repost but I feel like sharing my glossy farm design 

I love this. I believe this variant would work for mealwood, with the added receptacles for dirt:

ptNfIgr.jpg

BTW, any reason for preferring bristles? I find dirt to be more disposable than water, but then again, I'm new.

Tips on filling the room properly?

5 hours ago, biopon said:

BTW, any reason for preferring bristles? I find dirt to be more disposable than water, but then again, I'm new.

I like to save dirt for my sleet wheat farms, and I typically use world seeds with slush and infected PW geysers so I have water to spare

Tips on filling the room properly?

Step 1 build the room first without airflow tiles, pump out gas and make it a vacuum (be sure to include access with exo suits)

Step 2 build a gas reservoir and fill it with hydrogen, deconstruct when full

Step 3 pump in oxygen with a normal vent (be sure to build the vent on the floor near the middle of the room) until pressure is over 2kg then deconstruct vent and pipes.  Note: CO2 works too, I only use oxygen because it looks nicer :) 

Step 4 build the airflow tiles and rest of the farm

I believe this variant would work for mealwood, with the added receptacles for dirt:

Might be better to load dirt from underneath, in your pic you will have pockets of hydrogen out of reach of the dreckos where the conveyor receptacles are

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Ok this I would never have guessed. :) Thank you for the very specific instructions.

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Might be better to load dirt from underneath, in your pic you will have pockets of hydrogen out of reach of the dreckos where the conveyor receptacles are

Okay, I will try to move things around. 

On 23/12/2018 at 10:31 PM, Neotuck said:

I like to save dirt for my sleet wheat farms, and I typically use world seeds with slush and infected PW geysers so I have water to spare

Step 1 build the room first without airflow tiles, pump out gas and make it a vacuum (be sure to include access with exo suits)

Step 3 pump in oxygen with a normal vent (be sure to build the vent on the floor near the middle of the room) until pressure is over 2kg then deconstruct vent and pipes.  Note: CO2 works too, I only use oxygen because it looks nicer :) 

Step 4 build the airflow tiles and rest of the farm

i have this setup but, how do you manage to cool the room? i have to build weezewhorts inside cause the lights heat up the place

Or you could cool it with granite pipes with hydrogen gas in them. (I have 40c water coming in so had to look elsewhere.) The regulators cooling that hydrogen heat the molten slickster farms, so it all evens out.

44 minutes ago, chestnutcute said:

For those using blossom , How does it even maintain being glossy tho? O_o

What do you mean?

I'm assuming from your vague question you think glossy dreckos stop laying glossy eggs while eating blossoms?

Blossoms also increases glossy egg chance just like mealwood, only reason we start will mealwood is normal dreckos don't eat blossoms

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

What do you mean?

I'm assuming from your vague question you think glossy dreckos stop laying glossy eggs while eating blossoms?

Blossoms also increases glossy egg chance just like mealwood, only reason we start will mealwood is normal dreckos don't eat blossoms

I noticed a drop in % once they stopped eating specific food for sage hatches when i first started on critters.

I simply assumed they would drop in % and not give drecko eggs once they stopped eating mealwood which increases the probability.

Never knew that since when i hover over them it only says meal wood increases % , Regardless It is good to know that Blossoms also increases glossy egg chance. Thank you for your info ;) 

I'll enjoy my time changing to blossoms since i'm kinda out of dirt haha.

30 minutes ago, chestnutcute said:

I noticed a drop in % once they stopped eating specific food for sage hatches when i first started on critters.

I simply assumed they would drop in % and not give drecko eggs once they stopped eating mealwood which increases the probability.

Never knew that since when i hover over them it only says meal wood increases % , Regardless It is good to know that Blossoms also increases glossy egg chance. Thank you for your info ;) 

I'll enjoy my time changing to blossoms since i'm kinda out of dirt haha.

most likely your sage hatches were eating a food that increases egg chance for another morph,

when % increases for once type, the other % will drop

3 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Blossoms also increases glossy egg chance just like mealwood

No, this is incorrect. Blossoms are neutral, only mealwood increases the egg chance. However the base chance for glossies to lay glossy eggs is 66% so it is maintainable.

Just now, Cairath said:

No, this is incorrect. Blossoms are neutral, only mealwood increases the egg chance. However the base chance for glossies to lay glossy eggs is 66% so it is maintainable.

I stand corrected, had a feeling blossoms might be neutral

but yes glossy start off at 66% so it's still maintainable

7 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I stand corrected, had a feeling blossoms might be neutral

but yes glossy start off at 66% so it's still maintainable

Yep. Groomed Glossys produce an egg just short of every 10 cycles (11% per cycle). This gives probably 14 eggs per lifetime. The chances that a Glossy won't lay a Glossy egg to replace itself is so small as to be insignificant. (13 eggs is a 0.00008% of no Glossy. 14 eggs shifts to scientific notation its so small.)

If all 8 Glossys lay eggs at the same time, there's less than a 0.02% chance that there will be 0 Glossy eggs. 

Definitely sustainable without Mealwood.

Archived