The telltale heart - What's it all about?

If you've paid attention to the developement of DST (and my numerous posts saying "there is already such a thing!!1! rafgnarfwaralkanishlol") you know that there is the so-called telltale heart.

From what I understand, anybody can craft it using a bit of their own health and give, but only give, it to a ghost to revive them. It is DST-only content since it'd be useless in singleplayer.

EDIT: Main source: SethR

But this leaves many questions open:

• What is the hearts science/magic tier? Could ghosts act as "ghost science" stations?
  • What are the exact ingredients? (this one is going to be balanced, so no answer as of now)
  • If it takes health, is that Max-Health or Current-Health?
  • Can it be dropped just like any item? If so, what happens when you haunt it (probably nothing)?
  • What if you give it to a grave digger ghost?

I will expand this list should further questions arise and add answers when I see them (either because of logic or a dev statement)

Thank you for your time :love_heart:

• What is the hearts science/magic tier? Could ghosts act as "ghost science" stations?
  • What are the exact ingredients? (this one is going to be balanced, so no answer as of now)
  • If it takes health, is that Max-Health or Current-Health?
  • Can it be dropped just like any item? If so, what happens when you haunt it (probably nothing)?
  • What if you give it to a grave digger ghost?
  • I'd think that the Telltale Heart would be crafted at a Shadow Manipulator, since the other two revival items are crafted in Magic.
  • Not too sure, but I would like to see gold implemented (heart of gold, etc.)
  • Max health would be too irritating for it to be viable.
  • It should be dropped; everything can be dropped, and haunting it should not provide revival (you're giving them a piece of your heart, not giving it to the ground).
  • I'd assume nothing, or they'd disappear. No person revived

This is an opinion, not a fact.

The Telltale Heart is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe in which an undescribed and unnamed narrator murders an old man, all the while convincing the reader that they are not insane. Yet, the murder was more than a spur of the moment thing as the actions dictate it was planned, and the body is dismembered and hidden beneath the floorboards. Supposedly the heart continues to beat, but it is never certain whether it really is, or if the narrator is simply hallucinating. Undetailed characters, detailed murder...

"I loved the old man! He had never wronged me! He had never given me insult!" 

As for the Don't Starve item, I haven't really got much of a clue. I think from what I saw of it, it beats when laying on the ground? Whether or not there's more connections to the short story, who knows really. I wouldn't be surprised... 

Seth tried to craft it during one of the livestreams and one of the ingredients was spider gland.

Edit: it could be crafted with Science Machine, it was in "Survival" category and it costed 2 ropes and 1 spider gland to make.

Seth tried to craft it during one of the livestreams and one of the ingredients was spider gland.

Edit: it could be crafted with Science Machine, it was in "Survival" category and it costed 2 ropes and 1 spider gland to make.

I didn't see it on the livestream. When it was at PAX during the alpha, I saw during a gameplay video that it was a spider gland and some grass, 6 I believe. I suppose they changed the 6 grass to two ropes, which would be the exact amount of grass.

Sooo if telltale hearts bring ghosts back to life , will it work on Abigail? 0-0

It will auto scripted fail. 

I didn't see it on the livestream. When it was at PAX during the alpha, I saw during a gameplay video that it was a spider gland and some grass, 6 I believe. I suppose they changed the 6 grass to two ropes, which would be the exact amount of grass.

try the episode after PAX. 

all I want is for it to need a long pig piece to be made... it takes a life to make a life...

What if you used the piece of long pig that just came from the one you are resurrecting? Would kind of defeat the point. I suppose you could look at it like you are putting them back together.

What if you used the piece of long pig that just came from the one you are resurrecting? Would kind of defeat the point. I suppose you could look at it like you are putting them back together.

yeah, that was one of the things I was thinking of(although I didn't mention due to my incapability to say stuff like I should)

In my opnion, it would create some tense moments where you had to go all the way to the dangerous place where somebody died and recover the inventory in order to revive the player. (now that I thought more on the matter, though, it might just create a scenario where people would choose the best way to revive the other player depending on the avaibility of long pig, and if it were made too expensive, it would be completely pointless compared to the other means of ressurection. I'll wait for DST to be released though to see if it's viable to do this with more insight)

Archived