do we need an end-game use for mushrooms?

Right now the best food quality we get out of mushrooms is +1.  Pincha peppers and sleet wheat are used to make pepper bread (+5), meat is used with peppers to make barbecue (+5), and bristle berries are used in conjunction with peppers to make stuffed berries (+4).  Given the amount of time and effort that goes into creating sustainable slime production, should there be a mushroom recipe that provides something for dupes with higher food expectations?

•  

I think it would be nice to have something like mushroom egg fry for endgame food (and lower omelette a bit). Just another option worth pursuing, supporting different play style. As is I don't even start growing mushrooms because it takes me a while to even start entering slime biomes (I want all duplicants in exosuits first) and when that happens it's too short time remaining until mushrooms fall below their requirements.

I'm somewhat torn on the idea personally, but mostly because of the way most foods and jobs are implemented currently.

Fresh water consumption currently is the biggest price for all the upper end foods... or time and tons of power for well groomed incubators.  Mushrooms fit a nice niche between Meal Lice and those non-renewable resource food items.  They already don't require any serious atmosphere controls if you stick them under your Coal System, and they *like* the heat created by that same coal system.  The only thing you need is some slime, which I get by the bucketful anyway.  I tend to invade the slime as soon as I get some airlocks though.  Just need to monitor the illness levels and lock out anyone who's 75% of less while they clean out their systems.

With the way they're currently implemented, getting to level 0 or level 1 food stuff while crashing through job levels currently forces a balance for stress control.  I've found that if I'm overly lazy with getting foods to upper levels, I can cause some significant stress concerns.  It's not hard to do, either.  However, because you CAN control what jobs your dupes are allowed to do, you can let them finish leveling up a top tier job series... and then remove their hat.  They keep their skills but now have cheap job requirements again.

The mushrooms fill a pretty powerful niche between the Meal Lice cheapness and the semi-renewable resource improvement costs.  I think a balance here would require more than just a new menu item, but a cost of goods concern included in the recipe contents.

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

a balance here would require more than just a new menu item, but a cost of goods concern included in the recipe contents.

I believe this is already included in the current system. By my numbers, all other foods cost 5x as much as mushrooms (ie, mushrooms are very cheap to make, requiring only small amounts of slime). So technically having +1 rather than +5 makes perfect sense. It is perfectly possible to balance the poor food quality with other stress relievers.

I think providing a higher quality recipe for mushrooms will only damage the game balance. Love the feedback though, great points from everyone!

Yes, I believe we need an end game use for mushrooms for the very reasons you've listed.  I've proposed making a Boiled Egg recipe to take the place of the current Omelet recipe and changing the Omelet to a Mushroom Omelet as an +3 or +4 quality food.  This gives us mid- and end-game uses for both eggs and mushrooms.

2 hours ago, Ambaire said:

I've never even used mushrooms. Too much of a pain to grow, what with slime requirements and all.

3 Mushrooms / dupe, fried to quality 1 (now with even more kcals!).  They do a lot of work and slime is pretty easy to contain.  No water requirements.  No light.  They *like* heat.  They're positive décor.

Even with the new job systems over half or more your workforce is at quality 1 or less around cycle 100 if you're churning second/third jobs, or removing job assignments altogether once they've achieved the desired skillsets.  A handful of exosuits later in the mid game and they're just wonderful.

Using shrooms for other things than food wold be a nice addition I think.
Just farting some ideas:
- With medicine cabinet, use shrooms to make 'happy pills'  which relieve stress.

- Use as 'germ killer', put them into some kind of device, that then emits 'killer germs' which kill off any other kind of germ, but is harmless to dupes.

- For use in some way to make morbs more easily than letting dupes fill up outhouses and waiting.

- Make them non-perishable so they can be used as a food source for critters as critter feeders aren't refridgerated.

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for using mushrooms for food, but why not something completely else?

Penicillin. It's been around for decades, and is used to treat infections as an antibiotic.

My suggestion is to make a "health regeneration pill", made at the medicine cabinet, that accelerates healing recovery. This would be perfect for the mid-game, when researching hot volcanoes and hot steam vents without exosuits available, or when venturing into the oil biome early game.

Archived