How to Rebalance Don't Starve for Multiplayer? Console Commands Yes/No? page 16

Shadow Revive

When a player dies without means to revive themselves, they will respawn on next day as a 'shadow character'. This character will have fairly low, generic stats similar to a Wilson without a beard. They will also sport an appearance that resembles the nightmare creatures or a clone from the Codex Umbra, but be otherwise functionally identical to any other character you can play as but without the perks. As a shadow character, your main goal will be to find some means to revive yourself. If successful, you will be rewarded by becoming the character you were before you died and became a shadow. If you fail and die two more times as a shadow (totalling three strikes without a means of revival), then it will be counted as permenant death and you will be disallowed revival at that point.
Mmm I don't like this.

When a player dies he dies for real. The only way to revive him should be travel through the teleportato.

Mmm I don't like this.

When a player dies he dies for real. The only way to revive him should be travel through the teleportato.

Permadeath is good for SP, but not so much for multiplayer. When you are alone it is simple - protect yourself and thats that. When there more people - chance that someone from party dies, making a mistake is much bigger. And every time someone hits the ground you'll have to use Teleportato? No way.

Permadeath is good for SP, but not so much for multiplayer. When you are alone it is simple - protect yourself and thats that. When there more people - chance that someone from party dies, making a mistake is much bigger. And every time someone hits the ground you'll have to use Teleportato? No way.

That's true that's true. But perma death is the peculiarity of DS. And if that will change than it won't be Don't Starve anymore.

That's true that's true. But perma death is the peculiarity of DS. And if that will change than it won't be Don't Starve anymore.

Yeah, I said that already, earlier in this thread. But than again - without loneliness atmosphere it already won't be usual DS experience. So if one really important aspect changed - why not change another?

You're ignoring the fact that if you die as a shadow twice then you're permadeath-ed. It's not infinate life, it's a chance to get revived for people who still want to play with their friends instead of having to create a whole new world.

So... I think a fairly important topic (that I don't think has been brought up) is shadow hands... since they put out fires how will they work?

They'd probably just put out fires. If anyone is insane near a fire shadow hands show up to extinguish it, and anyone can stop them since the shadow hands are much more 'solid' looking than the ones that can damage you.

Maybe?

2 players = 4 hands

3 players = 5 hands

4 players = 6 hands.

That does actually sound fair. Remember if you run into the darkness and chase the hands to their elbow using a torch you can make them vanish. So with more people all you'd have to do is keep the hands busy and have one player killing them one at a time and you're good.

Ok another topic to discuss is team size.

Now we know from the one post by JoeW, DST will most likely have a minimum of 4 players per team. But they are thinking of adding more. Well personally what I think is, truthfully 4 is already more than enough. 2-3 is a good team size.

Many fun and successful co-op games focus on 2-4 players for co-op. Anyone a fan of the N64, Game cube? Remember the days where online gaming didn't exist and all you used to do was plug in 4 controllers and kill hours 24/7 playing games with friends and family?

Even games today like Left 4 Dead, Spiral Knights, Borderlands, Alien Swarm, to name a few have up to 4 players co-op. Sorry I don't play much online games, these are some of the games I have played though.

So I strongly believe Don't Starve would suit the style of 4 player co-op and avoid the unnecessary mess of having a map overrun with more.

Ok another topic to discuss is team size.

Now we know from the one post by JoeW, DST will most likely have a minimum of 4 players per team. But they are thinking of adding more. Well personally what I think is, truthfully 4 is already more than enough. 2-3 is a good team size.

Many fun and successful co-op games focus on 2-4 players for co-op. Anyone a fan of the N64, Game cube? Remember the days where online gaming didn't exist and all you used to do was plug in 4 controllers and kill hours 24/7 playing games with friends and family?

Even games today like Left 4 Dead, Spiral Knights, Borderlands, Alien Swarm, to name a few have up to 4 players co-op. Sorry I don't play much online games, these are some of the games I have played though.

So I strongly believe Don't Starve would suit the style of 4 player co-op and avoid the unnecessary mess of having a map overrun with more.

I've been adding ideas under the impression it was 4 maximum. I must've read the thing wrong if they said minimum. I really don't think there should be a minimum other than two, since it'd be a shame to want to play with your friend without having to worry about other online players and then you can't due to a 4 player minimum rule. A max players per team thing would work, since having too many players would clutter up any GUI you have in place to show the team's stats. Having four players on a team max would make it easy to create an addition to the HUD to show their stats, and I posted a picture somewhere of what that would look like to some degree. Really more than 4 on a team would be hard to coordinate, since having four players collaborating within a central base area would already mean they'd need to scavenge far and wide to gather enough food to survive. Any more and it just seems rediculous.

I've been adding ideas under the impression it was 4 maximum. I must've read the thing wrong if they said minimum. I really don't think there should be a minimum other than two, since it'd be a shame to want to play with your friend without having to worry about other online players and then you can't due to a 4 player minimum rule. A max players per team thing would work, since having too many players would clutter up any GUI you have in place to show the team's stats. Having four players on a team max would make it easy to create an addition to the HUD to show their stats, and I posted a picture somewhere of what that would look like to some degree. Really more than 4 on a team would be hard to coordinate, since having four players collaborating within a central base area would already mean they'd need to scavenge far and wide to gather enough food to survive. Any more and it just seems rediculous.

I initially thought this too. But Klei have said;

"We believe that Don’t Starve Together will support 2-4 players simultaneously. Could be more, but we are aiming for 4 minimum."

So they want 4, but there could be 5, 6, 7, 8 or more. As far as we know we can team with 1 other person or 2 or 3 other people, to make a total of 4. If Klei said 6 is minimum, that would imply if they decided not to increase the amount of players to 8 or 10, then 6 would be the maximum.

Am I making sense or have I confused things even more?

Are there any more things which we have missed that you guys think should be addressed for Don't Starve Together? Were there any concerns raised in the past that weren't addressed by Klei in either Don't Starve or Reign of Giants?

Is it going to be possible to save the world just like in RoG and normal Don't Starve? Ex if everyone want to save it and play it again a week later and not want to reset everything.

What will happend if someone leave in the mid of the game? Would the player get much less Hunger, Sanity and Hp?

Ex

Player A exits the game:

Day 1: -15 hp, -15 hunger, -15 sanity

Day 7: -70 hp, -70 hunger, -70 sanity

(Min hunger 10, health 10(or 1), sanity: 0 or 20?)

It should be some kind of downside when someone exits the game or it would be so that someone could just wait for a long time. :wilson_smile:

Is it going to be possible to save the world just like in RoG and normal Don't Starve? Ex if everyone want to save it and play it again a week later and not want to reset everything.

What will happend if someone leave in the mid of the game? Would the player get much less Hunger, Sanity and Hp?

Ex

Player A exits the game:

Day 1: -15 hp, -15 hunger, -15 sanity

Day 7: -70 hp, -70 hunger, -70 sanity

(Min hunger 10, health 10(or 1), sanity: 0 or 20?)

It should be some kind of downside when someone exits the game or it would be so that someone could just wait for a long time. :wilson_smile:

I think we discussed this point earlier on, although there were no clear agreed upon outcome. If memory serves me well, someone suggested that the host can only restart the server. So if you were the host and we all log off for the day. We can't log into the same server until you come back. Not sure if everyone liked this though.

I think we discussed this point earlier on, although there were no clear agreed upon outcome. If memory serves me well, someone suggested that the host can only restart the server. So if you were the host and we all log off for the day. We can't log into the same server until you come back. Not sure if everyone liked this though.

The other option seems to be passing the host, and if it's anything like Awesomenauts, I'll hate it because it'll freeze all the time so it can change to the best host.

I'm betting the devs just go for the simplest option.

How about better base building. If there is going to be pvp then obviously we need a base to keep the little thieves away from out resources. Doors come to mind.

I think you should have a key in your inventory that can access all the chests you built so in PvE people in your game cant take your stuff and PvP they have to kill you and steal it to get you goodies. Another idea what if while your sleeping they can sneak into your tent and steal it.

What if we had both the host must be there and the penalty for players who logged off for to long.

I think you should have a key in your inventory that can access all the chests you built so in PvE people in your game cant take your stuff and PvP they have to kill you and steal it to get you goodies. Another idea what if while your sleeping they can sneak into your tent and steal it.

I can think of many reasons why I'd want friends to be able to get to my stuff because most likely and most often I'd be building a base with them. I vote for no protection.

I can think of many reasons why I'd want friends to be able to get to my stuff because most likely and most often I'd be building a base with them. I vote for no protection.

What if it was for a special type of chest/ a normal one you used the key item on in order to lock it. Or what about being able to give a duplicat of the key to your freind that stacks with their one. If you still dont like it for PvE then what about for PvP.

What if it was for a special type of chest/ a normal one you used the key item on in order to lock it. Or what about being able to give a duplicat of the key to your freind that stacks with their one. If you still dont like it for PvE then what about for PvP.

If they implement something like that, then sure, that'll work. I'm of the mind to not create everything for convenience, though. There are so many ideas out there, good ones I guess, but they're all about making everything easy and worry-free. I don't like that.

Archived