More options for World Customisation screen

If this has already been suggested let me know and I'll delete this thread. But please provide a link to the other thread. Thanks

2013-04-22_00001.jpg

IDEA 1: By J20hawkz

Very simple idea just for convenience and that extra fine detail. Hovering over any icon with your mouse in world customisation will cause a small rectangular box to pop up with its respective name. So for example, if I hovered my mouse over the icon for reeds, a small box will pop up telling me it's "Reeds". This would also help anyone new to the game to see what some of the things are called in game and also give them an idea of what they are customising.

IDEA 2: By J20hawkz

Take it further and we could get a slightly larger rectangular box with a brief description of that respective icon/image. The description could be taken from the Trivia section from the Don’t Starve Official Wiki. Seriously who doesn't like reading the Trivia for everything that is Don't Starve :)

IDEA 3: By @9wpuv

Why not marry this idea with mine and also make the world menu appear ( or a way to get to it ) also after you teleportato, just like you get the character screen? It makes no sense why you can change char but not world gen. And while we're at it why not add a random option in the world customization menu? There is default, default plus, lights out, what about a new one, random. It just randomizes all the boxes. For crazy people like me and fun times. No drawbacks and simple to implement? From a dev perspective. And talking about the char screen, why not add a new char portrait, a generic black silhoutte with a question mark on top of it. Random character. It would make the game much more replayable in the long run. See what char you get and what world gen and make the best of it. Again, no drawback I can think of.

@Madman666 @InaneDugong @Lonestarr01 @Frobro back me up on this. @XirmiX said he would want more granular control in some parts of world gen options like having a "Summer or Winter" option for starting season.

Why not marry this idea with mine and also make the world menu appear ( or a way to get to it ) also after you teleportato, just like you get the character screen? It makes no sense why you can change char but not world gen. And while we're at it why not add a random option in the world customization menu? There is default, default plus, lights out, what about a new one, random. It just randomizes all the boxes. For crazy people like me and fun times. No drawbacks and simple to implement? From a dev perspective. And talking about the char screen, why not add a new char portrait, a generic black silhoutte with a question mark on top of it. Random character. It would make the game much more replayable in the long run. See what char you get and what world gen and make the best of it. Again, no drawback I can think of.

@Madman666 @InaneDugong @Lonestarr01 @Frobro back me up on this. @XirmiX said he would want more granular control in some parts of world gen options like having a "Summer or Winter" option for starting season.

Well, I think, that together with text strings for world generation menu options (why not add tooltips explaining a degree of change of each option as well?) and possibility of changing world settings activating teleportato this will be a useful complete improvement for world gen system and awaited by many players, I might add. I mean devs were asked to add world settings menu to teleportato for eternity. While at it I can't disagree, that implementing random options for worlds and characters might be fun after you already played to your heart's content on default ones. After you conquered Adventure Mode and different Sandboxes - can you survive in crazy world filled with Spiders and without trees, etc.? And this'll add replayability to the game too. "Win-win" situation, i think.

Well, I think, that together with text strings for world generation menu options (why not add tooltips explaining a degree of change of each option as well?) and possibility of changing world settings activating teleportato this will be a useful complete improvement for world gen system and awaited by many players, I might add. I mean devs were asked to add world settings menu to teleportato for eternity. While at it I can't disagree, that implementing random options for worlds and characters might be fun after you already played to your heart's content on default ones. After you conquered Adventure Mode and different Sandboxes - can you survive in crazy world filled with Spiders and without trees, etc.? And this'll add replayability to the game too. "Win-win" situation, i think.

That's exactly what I want xD I want a crazy world with spiders and no trees without me knowing beforehand. But alas, I feel we may be derailing this thread a bit. ;D 

I do support OP's idea, for sure :)

I agree that we need to stand on this firmly, but sadly there is little chance that devs will take a note on this now... Right now the game is literally full of bugs and we don't even know when they'll deal with them completely. Maybe if we try pressing this when they decide to work on another DLC (and I believe there will be another eventually) - we'll succeed. Its the question of timing it right, ascending thread to the top in suggestions and explaining all benefits of the idea.

And gathering a mob of chanting supporters of course))  :happypigs:

@Lonestarr01 not at all, please carry on. Your suggestions are just as good as mine, I would love to see that added in. We actually need one generic thread for even more World Customisation options. What I can do is add @9wpuv suggestions to the OP like I did with my Varg thread? So we have all out ideas in one place rather than all over the forum.

Every time someone suggests something to be added to World Customisation and we all agree it is a good idea I'll add it. Best way is to like the post making it popular. I already liked this post, hopefully you guys follow. But please keep your ideas specific to World Customisation options.

Let me know and I'll start changing things around in this thread.

I like idea 1 and 3. Idea 2 isn't within the integrity of Don't Starve, I'm afraid. Some stuff in the Trivia Section involves amusing bugs and/or content that was intentionally removed by Klei, so it's not ideal to shove that kind of information into user's faces. I wouldn't mind an inbuilt wikipedia, but we're talking about a convenience that we really don't need and is taking time away from priority features that we'd rather. 

Idea 2 isn't within the integrity of Don't Starve, I'm afraid. Some stuff in the Trivia Section involves amusing bugs and/or content that was intentionally removed by Klei, so it's not ideal to shove that kind of information into user's faces.

I agree. Another problem with text is that the more of it there is the harder it becomes to integrate said text into a working visual design. If anything the only text I would see besides the tooltip would be the most significant/awesome quote out of all the characters for that thing. How one would determine that is simple. Let Klei decide. For example hovering over the crow icon you'd get Willow's nod to Poe, take thy beak from out my heart. There would be no fourth wall breakage, you wouldn't bring in anything that isn't already there in the first place.

Yup.  If i want to play in a world with no summer, i am forced to never teleportato.  I enjoy playing the default setting but after 400+ hours i want a little more options instead of having to delete my games to try new maps with new settings.

I think we need tabs for some options

Like to set a maximum of 1-10 Koalefants or Vargs in one world.

We need a tab to enable and disable any seasons we do/don't want and to change the length of the season from long to short along with knowing how long each season is.

That's all I can think of.

Why not add more world customization options? I suggested earlier that there should be an option to switch off the Vargs. I am not suggesting that I would use it, but you can switch off almost everything else, so for integrity there should also be an option about Vargs.

Why not add more world customization options? I suggested earlier that there should be an option to switch of Vargs. I am not suggesting that I would use it, but you can switch off almost everything else, so for integrity there should also be an option about Vargs.

I have no problem with this

It would be cool to have a customization in regards to the opening of the caves, I think it would be cool if ALL cave inhabitants slowly seep up into the upper world instead of just batalisks. If this isn't a thing I would still like cave customization options.

Archived