Rocket progression for fullerene

What do you guys build next after the steam engine and 5 research modules?  I need to get fullerene to make supercoolant, and I can't make liquid H2 or LOX without supercoolant, and I can't seem to get to the 20km asteroids I need with a cargo module and steam engine + solid rocket booster so ... what am I missing?

1 hour ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I need to get fullerene to make supercoolant, and I can't make liquid H2 or LOX without supercoolant,

It's been pretty well documented now that you do not need Super Coolant in any capacity to make LOX, and while it makes Liquid H2 dramatically easier and faster, it is not required there either.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

It's been pretty well documented now that you do not need Super Coolant in any capacity to make LOX, and while it makes Liquid H2 dramatically easier and faster, it is not required there either.

.. provided you are willing to use the 10% packet exploit.

But sure, you can make LOX without supercoolant.

I also had the same problem. Like the other folks said you need to pass by the petroleum engine. With petroleum engine you can use oxylite or liquid oxygen. To produce oxylite you can use the machine in refinery "Oxylite refinery" or the dense pufts. To produce liquid oxygen without supercolant you can use hydrogen only. Here is my setup for this phase:

lox.thumb.png.9bdab261391e26b6ca65fcd72f2cd6b7.png

4 hours ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I can't make liquid H2 or LOX without supercoolant,

Yes, you can.

You can even do it without the tricks that @kolyapedal employs, but it takes ages to cool down oxygen with just radiant hydrogen vents.

The in-between solution is to simply establish a dense puft farm and harvest their oxylite until you have a proper LOX setup.

29 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Omg. Then i have to go back to pufts. I just deconstructed my ranch.:(

nothing wrong with an oxylite refinery, it ramps from nothing to full production immediately without waiting for breeding cycles, doesn't waste 50% of your oxygen, but does consume 5g of gold per 1 kg of oxylite and 1200 watts.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

LOX one is unlocked with hydrogen engine

Yo, dis ain't good. In what world do people use rocket engines that burn kerosene with powder oxidizer? It's neither kerolox nor solid fuel, but in between for some reason.

When gameplay and common sense clash...

48 minutes ago, avc15 said:

nothing wrong with an oxylite refinery, it ramps from nothing to full production immediately without waiting for breeding cycles, doesn't waste 50% of your oxygen, but does consume 5g of gold per 1 kg of oxylite and 1200 watts.

True. I guess, i'll just do that for the remaining 100 space tech points. As soon as i can load my savegame without crashing that is. :/

1 hour ago, Ixenzo said:

When gameplay and common sense clash...

It's completely, 100% fine for gameplay to clash with realism (not common sense like you said - oxidation chemistry is not common sense). Real life would be a terrible game - a boring slog with few fun minigames.

The problem is, forced oxylite/LOX split isn't really good gameplay. It's down there with steam rockets being required and solid boosters existing at all despite being only useful to research petroleum rockets.

Now, those are just questionable design choices. There are also objective errors like gantry control tedium and rocket detectors not having perfect detection. Now that I think about it, the rocketry upgrade, for all the fun features, will need a ton of fixes before it can be called "good".

8 hours ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I don’t know about the 10% packet exploit but I’ll check it out. 

Elements cannot change phase (liquid -> gas, for example) if the mass involved is too low.  So if you limit the flow with a Valve, you can prevent a liquid from evaporating into a gas.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:28 AM, avc15 said:

no, you are correct, thanks.I never use dense pufts :)

I like them for the' 'set it and forget it'  aspect, i like my base pressurized to 2k and the backlog in the pipes just gets vented into the puft room..
I set it up early and basically have oxylite when i finally get to that stage.  that being said I freely admit I've not passed steam yet on any save due to other mistakes *grin*

On 11/24/2018 at 5:25 AM, Coolthulhu said:

It's completely, 100% fine for gameplay to clash with realism (not common sense like you said - oxidation chemistry is not common sense). Real life would be a terrible game - a boring slog with few fun minigames.

I’d play the Real Life game for the Oxygen Not Included minigame.

Archived