Gift system.

On 19/11/2018 at 4:51 PM, JohnWatson said:

your chance of getting a high tier drop should increase the longer you spend time not playing the game

this gives players an incentive to come back to the game for better drops, which lets the playerbase get more active

This sounds pretty easily exploitable, but then again, AFK for gifts is also a thing. 

11 hours ago, Mattyington said:

Spend Loong times without playing the game on purpose, come back, get elegants, sell them (optional), repeat.

like the fellow above said, that's not an exploit, and obviously there'd be a reasonable cap so that you don't get 100% chance of getting elegants just for going on a holiday for a week

and you still need to play the game to get the drops in the first place, this system balances itself out through diminishing returns

again, the purpose of this is to encourage players to keep coming back to the game

On 19.11.2018 г. at 12:56 AM, TemporaryMan said:

Just my own stats that I've been collecting.

Sample		632
Common		68.5%
Classy		22.8%
Spiffy		5.2%
Distinguished	2.8%
Elegant		0.6%

Lol, I didn't know there is a chance of getting an elegant item via the in game presents. I thought they could only be bought.

edit: Are these drop rates accurate or it's just assumptions?

7 hours ago, BellumOmnes said:

Lol, I didn't know there is a chance of getting an elegant item via the in game presents. I thought they could only be bought.

Well, someone needed to get them somehow in order for them to be sold on the steam market...

7 hours ago, BellumOmnes said:

edit: Are these drop rates accurate or it's just assumptions?

As stated in their post, it's stats they've collected themselves by recording what drops they've gotten.

15 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'd love the devs to add a time bar on the main menu to show how long until the next gift. That'd give me a incentive to keep returning at night instead of once a week.

Nice idea, but the times are random.  And not random as in generating a random number of minutes in advance and awarding an item once the time elapses.  Random as in after a minimum delay, the game starts calling the skins server every couple minutes (15, maybe?  Just a guess.), and the skins server makes a roll to decide if you get something now or have to keep waiting.  Even the skins server doesn't really know how long you'll have to wait.

@BellumOmnes Well, there's going to be some small degree of variance from the true probability due to the random nature of the sample, and sample bias against distinguished items because there weren't any for the first couple months.  There were also no common items during the first Winter's Feast season.  But it should be fairly accurate.  The rate for elegants has varied between 0.4% and 0.6% for the last year, and commons have only fluctuated by about +/- 1%.

On 18/11/2018 at 10:56 PM, TemporaryMan said:

Just my own stats that I've been collecting.

Sample		632
Common		68.5%
Classy		22.8%
Spiffy		5.2%
Distinguished	2.8%
Elegant		0.6%

i love people like you. It must be such a hassle.

Archived