Gift system.

Maybe they should change something in gift system.We are getting 4 gifts in a week and if we play longer we will get more gifts (Max those 4) but sadly chances getting elegant or even distinguished items is so low.I thought they maybe do something like this, the gifts that we get for playing longer will have better items in them, or just higher chances to get one. Im thinking of something like this, for first present we will get common or classy items, for second present, common, classy or spiffy, for third present classy, spiffy or distiguished, and for last present distiguished or elegant. And chance for getting these items will be a little higher too. For that last present something like that becouse we are getting it for playing very long and reward should be better.It would drop the market prizes aswell.Do you think its a good idea? or system in game is better, or they should just higher chances for getting something better in presents 3 and 4 for playing longer.

I don't like this idea, because people who don't feel like playing lots don't get a chance for elegant skins. On the contrary it kinda encourages skin idling, which is by itself is nothing overly bad, but if it becomes the major source of elegant skins, because people who'd otherwise just play a little and recieving one or two skins would start idling to also get a chance for elegants, I'd be absolutely against it.

Also the only reason for elegants to be rare is that they are something special. If everyone would get all of them, or even duplicates, they aren't worth anything anymore.

I know how it feels playing for 500 hours without getting a single elegant, but that makes them even more special, once you get one. Especially because they are not changing anything about the gameplay, and are instead purely cosmetic, I'm totally fine with elegant skins being super rare.

1 minute ago, Auth said:

Well if I want to earn money I go work. I'm not playing the game to make money ;) 

Anyway back to topic. Would be nice to see some kind of pity timer, like every 30 gift's you are guaranteed to get an elegant. I was playing DST for a long time without getting an elegant (like most of us) too. The old skin-system is pretty frustrating and I don't want to spend 20 bucks to get some skin I like. With the new system, I can get at least some nice skins, with which I can play with & support the dev's.

8 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Every... 30?

They're currently a 0.5% chance, so you get about 1 per year on average.

It was just an example, i dont know which number should be taken for a good pity timer. But every 30th gift would be about 1 elegant in 7.5 weeks. 

On one side, I feel kinda sad that so many new skins for characters and belongings are available and chances of getting one are lower than in The Gorge era. You'll probably have to buy whatever skins you'd like to have.

On the other side, Klei keeps providing content and updates for free, soooooo...

I'm sad, but I'm ok with it.

31 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

Just my own stats that I've been collecting.

Sample		632
Common		68.5%
Classy		22.8%
Spiffy		5.2%
Distinguished	2.8%
Elegant		0.6%

Seems legit, I most of the time get curio chests (I think they are common) and have never gotten an elegant. 800 hours on a game no elegant from a gift itself

itd be nice if elegant drops were replaced by elegant tokens. so u can get whichever elegant u want. it being super rare wouldnt feel as awful then. and it being rare means ur not gonna get all the stuff u want from those tokens ... but really at the end of the day skins are meaningless and klei owes us nothing in that regard and they're made to support the developers through purchases. klei for sure is so much better compared to other game devs by not making cash bought rng gambling loot boxes only way to get skins. 

honestly I feel like it should be somewhat progressive, but not lock out too many other tiers.
It would be nice if Gift #4 would eliminate all Common drops. During events with chests the gifts would lock back to default so you can get those chests.
the gift system could be
1: Default
2: -25% to commons, +12.5% to classies, +7.5% to spiffies, +5% to distinguished
3: -50% to commons, +25% to classies, +10% to spiffies, +5% to distinguished, +5% to Elegants
4: -100% to commons, +50% to classies, +25% to spiffies, +15% to distinguished, +10% to Elegants
This would semi increase chances of other items based on whatever the common tier consists of. That way everyone could have something nice and not only marble white Tees, black rocks, and grey pants...

You can sort of do that, though the skins aren't all worth the same amount of tokens, by trading them.  I don't exactly have a Willow Guest of Honour, Survivor Wickerbottom, a Penglet, and a second Triumphant Wendy anymore, do I?

I'm kind of okay with things as they are, but then my ambitions were always humble and I've long since surpassed my expectations to the point I have piles of skins that I never get around to using.  Just give it three years and do some trades, you'll get there too.  Honestly, I kind of miss my classy tweed waistcoats.  They don't get out of the closet much anymore.

2 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

honestly I feel like it should be somewhat progressive, but not lock out too many other tiers.
It would be nice if Gift #4 would eliminate all Common drops. During events with chests the gifts would lock back to default so you can get those chests.
the gift system could be
1: Default
2: -25% to commons, +12.5% to classies, +7.5% to spiffies, +5% to distinguished
3: -50% to commons, +25% to classies, +10% to spiffies, +5% to distinguished, +5% to Elegants
4: -100% to commons, +50% to classies, +25% to spiffies, +15% to distinguished, +10% to Elegants
This would semi increase chances of other items based on whatever the common tier consists of. That way everyone could have something nice and not only marble white Tees, black rocks, and grey pants...

Yes, this idea is so much better, people who dont playing much will have same chances to get elegants as today, but those who play more can get higher chances to get those. Problem with my first idea solved.

1 minute ago, JohnWatson said:

your chance of getting a high tier drop should increase the longer you spend time not playing the game

this gives players an incentive to come back to the game for better drops, which lets the playerbase get more active

but in the actual long run this shouldn't matter because playerbase is better when it can be active anytime.

frankly, the idea of getting a higher chance just for playing the game is a bad idea and does not benefit klei at all

in fact, it may harm klei because less people will buy the skin collections, i think these ideas can just be summarised to 'klei pls give us free skins'

rewarding players for coming back to the game is actually better for klei in the long run, since this ensures the game gets more loyal players

2 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

frankly, the idea of getting a higher chance just for playing the game is a bad idea and does not benefit klei at all

in fact, it may harm klei because less people will buy the skin collections, i think these ideas can just be summarised to 'klei pls give us free skins'

rewarding players for coming back to the game is actually better for klei in the long run, since this ensures the game gets more loyal players

yeah but I *special snowflake's argument*

Spoiler

want to play either DS or DST almost in almost every free time...

8 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

The event skin collections dont drop from gifts, you can only get them from special classic curio chests or buying full skin sets during events directly from klei. We are talking about the skins that can only be bought from steam market. So they dont lose much, better for them if players will buy the skins directly from them.

this isn't a good idea

stop trying to make suggestions where the main goal is 'i want more skins for free klei pls implement a feature where i get more skin drops'

people only agree to this because they get more drops, but they don't stop to think if it's a good idea at all

4 hours ago, Ohan said:

itd be nice if elegant drops were replaced by elegant tokens. so u can get whichever elegant u want. it being super rare wouldnt feel as awful then. and it being rare means ur not gonna get all the stuff u want from those tokens

This just seems unnecessary with the spool system.

57 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

this isn't a good idea

stop trying to make suggestions where the main goal is 'i want more skins for free klei pls implement a feature where i get more skin drops'

people only agree to this because they get more drops, but they don't stop to think if it's a good idea at all

Maybe it isn't a very good idea, it was my first suggestion like this and it was not intended becouse ',i want more skins for free' i thought it maybe lower the prizes on market a bit, becouse some prizes are higher than a whole game, i know i dont need to buy those but i just like to coplete my collections just like many people. Sorry tho.

Archived