What is the best Hatch to farm?

Would anyone mind explaining to me the difference between the species of hatch and what each of them is used for?

Can't see much difference between them in game, seems like they all have the same diet and excrete coal.

smooth hatch (don't think I've had one of these yet)
sage hatch (clicked on this and it excretes coal.... so whats the point in it? it's just a normal hatch)
stone hatch (also excretes coal)
etc.

Different main food sources.  Sage eat biological matter and dirt.  Stone eat stone. Regular eat mixture.  Smooth eat metal. 

Sage have a higher conversion ratio too.

Personally I do one stable of each type,  except for smooth. 

8 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Different main food sources.  Sage eat biological matter and dirt.  Since eat stone. Regular eat mixture.  Smooth eat metal. 

Sage have a higher conversion ratio too.

Personally I do one stable of each type,  except for smooth. 

Seems a bit pointless since theres a really big cross over with hatch eating the same as all the other species and excreting coal.

I guess it just gives you the option, to attempt a base that exclusively runs on algae/slime and coal. (pufts / sage hatch)

1 minute ago, ChickenMadness said:

I guess it just gives you the option, to attempt a base that exclusively runs on algae/slime and coal. (pufts / sage hatch)

assuming it's possible to generate enough PO2 to feed enough pufts to sustain that 

i personally farm stone hatches a lot, because it is the only species that can eat igneous rock, which can be produced (melting regolith to magma and let it cool down ;) )

Have like 40 stone hatches in my current colony, producing more coal then i can use and i have still over 1000 tons of igneous rock.

With the exception of smooth hatches their types aren't about changeing the output but the input. For example I feed my hatches exclusively sedimentary rock, because I find it to be a completely redundant raw mineral that I want to get rid of. They will naturally turn into stone hatches.

1 minute ago, clickrush said:

With the exception of smooth hatches their types aren't about changeing the output but the input. For example I feed my hatches exclusively sedimentary rock, because I find it to be a completely redundant raw mineral that I want to get rid of. They will naturally turn into stone hatches.

1 minute ago, GemeinerJack said:

i personally farm stone hatches a lot, because it is the only species that can eat igneous rock, which can be produced (melting regolith to magma and let it cool down ;) )

Have like 40 stone hatches in my current colony, producing more coal then i can use and i have still over 1000 tons of igneous rock.

Is there any situation where sage hatches would be needed to eat an excess of (whatever they eat that the other hatches can't)?

9 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

Is there any situation where sage hatches would be needed to eat an excess of (whatever they eat that the other hatches can't)?

Slime, algae, dirt, or fertilizer?

It's difficult to produce enough of those to sustain your colony so it's unlikely 

Just now, ChickenMadness said:

Yes ofc. If you overproduce dirt/fertilizer or straight up food you can feed that to them.

Feeding Sage Hatches is nothing but foolish, there is nothing like excess food, even if rotten (then it is just), dirt, fertilizer, algae or slime. All is much more valuable. The conversion should at least be 500% to be worth considering.

Stone and normal Hatches are the way to go to get rid of unwanted and excess stone.

Smooth Hatches can also be an alternative to quickly produce Refined Metal (Copper and Iron) with much less work, even if 25% of the mass is lost, there is enough iron on the map and infinite in space while much less energy is required and produced.

Regular hatches eat sand, snadstone, sedimantary rock, dirt and all the food types. Generally useful to generate some coal out of rock or sand. Sedimantary increases chance for stone hatches, dirt for sage hatches.

Stone hatches eat multiple types of rock and raw metal. It`s good to ranch them to use up igneous rock as there`s always tons of it. It also doesn`t eat normal food so they won`t randomly eat meat dropped from other hatches dying off. Feeding the raw metal increases chance for smooth hatches.

Smooth hatches unlike other morphs produce refined metal (75% of consumed mass). They eat only raw metal. Can be useful as a heat free smelter.

Sage hatches only eat organic stuff. Dirt, slime, polluted drit, algae, fertilizer and all types of food. They have a 100% mass conversion to coal unlike 50% for normal and stone. Generally not too useful as the organics are unrenewable or hard to renew so you value them higher than coal. This morph is considered the most useless hatch.

11 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

Tropical Pacus too because I don't think there is a difference to the normal Pacu.

Tropical pacu give +50 decor. Normal gives +20 (or +30 i don`t remember). That`s the only difference..

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

unless it changed without me knowing the conversion rate is 50% for normal and stone hatches

You`re probably right. I`m gona edit that.

Normal hatches are average. They can eat sedimentary rock, which is mostly trash, and have low HP which makes them easy to kill for meat. Feeding them sedimentary rock will eventually make them stone hatches anyways.

Stone hatches are the way to go if you need coal. They can convert most any raw mineral directly to coal, and you'll get eggs from it. Not good for meat, because stone hatches have an insane amount of HP.

Sage hatches are crap. Don't try, you'll spend all your dirt (which is valuable and limited) feeding them, and they require huge amounts of food to make any significant amount of coal, eggs, or meat. They'll eat you out of house and home. Far better to compost unneeded or rotten food for extra dirt.

Smooth hatches are for refining metal without a smelter. Don't try to farm them for meat, they have even more HP than stone hatches.

Regular hatches can also eat clay, something none of the others can. If like me you use slime to supplement oxygen production, you're going to have tons of extra clay and nothing to do with it. Converting clay to coal is extremely useful. I.E. there's a 1:1:1 conversion chain for rock->sand->clay that also turns all your slime into clean oxygen. And there's huge quantities in every map that you'd have a challenge of using up before like cycle 3,000.

Also regular hatches die from a sideways glance from any dupe with high mining skill, unlike the stone hatches. Stone hatches you really need a drowning room for.

Anyway, I tend to get both regular and stone hatches for both meat and coal production, at the same time. Whether to get smooth hatches or not, I tend to flip flop from game to game - in some ways they help, in other ways having them around is a huge annoyance.

I like sage hatches because you can feed them a few kg of mushrooms and that will keep them happy for several cycles and they lay eggs, which you can turn into better food than fried mushrooms for your dupes.  Probably better to stick with stone hatches as long as you have tons of rock to get rid if, but if you end up running low on rock, sage is a good thing to switch to.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

I like sage hatches because you can feed them a few kg of mushrooms and that will keep them happy for several cycles and they lay eggs, which you can turn into better food than fried mushrooms for your dupes.  Probably better to stick with stone hatches as long as you have tons of rock to get rid if, but if you end up running low on rock, sage is a good thing to switch to.

If you have the slime for mushroom farming then why not feed the slime to the hatches?

cut out the middle man and get lots more coal in addition to eggs

1 hour ago, ChickenMadness said:

I use bristles for stuffed berry. My single Slush geyser makes enough for between 64-80 plants (when run through my power plant first).

I have way too many bristles (on purpose), So I feed the extra all to sage hatches which gives me unlimited coal for ceramic and carbon.

12 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

I have way too many bristles (on purpose), So I feed the extra all to sage hatches which gives me unlimited coal for ceramic and carbon.

have to show me the math on that

from what I know feeding sage hatches any kind of edible resource won't provide any substantial coal 

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

have to show me the math on that

from what I know feeding sage hatches any kind of edible resource won't provide any substantial coal 

well it's essentially 'free' coal regardless of the amount if the water for the bristle bushes is coming from a geyser

Archived