What is the best Hatch to farm?

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

a fair point but remember if you upscale too much lag becomes an issue

25 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

I use bristles for stuffed berry. My single Slush geyser makes enough for between 64-80 plants (when run through my power plant first).

I have way too many bristles (on purpose), So I feed the extra all to sage hatches which gives me unlimited coal for ceramic and carbon.

I might try the bristle bush > sage hatch thing in my current game. I have this Gulp fish farm I've been using to convert polluted water from the geyser. And been wondering what to do with all the excess.

I've just been collecting it all and separating it by temperature.

My base is already cold just from running the oxygen pipes through the cold water. And having the run off cold water from the gulp fish used in the toilets.

ice farm 2.png

12 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

a fair point but remember if you upscale too much lag becomes an issue

Well I do 8 Sages

They take 700 Kcal? which is 3 Bristles each to be safe(1.5? if you use farm station but I do not for bristles).

My rail automatically brings overflow from my cooking station (I don't bother cooking the ones for hatches). So dupe time is only the added harvesting. (which if you let bristles natural drop would be zero, but that only works if you have even more extra water/bristles).

I don't know how much coal it produces.... but I only use it for ceramic and over 1000+ cycles it adds up to something...

7 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

I might try the bristle bush > sage hatch thing in my current game. I have this Gulp fish farm I've been using to convert polluted water from the geyser. And been wondering what to do with all the excess.

I wouldn't be using gulp fish. Polluted water is an incredibly valuable resource, more so even than water in some ways.

If you use that polluted water in a sieve, you get polluted dirt, which converts 1:1 to dirt, a very limited resource. Polluted water can also be used to off-gas into polluted oxygen, and fed to pufts. With regolith, you have an unlimited source of sand, so that isn't an issue ever.

Clean water is only useful for electrolyzers, sleet wheat, and bristle blossoms. A sieve/washroom loop produces extra polluted water, so you don't ever need water for that.

22 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I wouldn't be using gulp fish. Polluted water is an incredibly valuable resource, more so even than water in some ways.

If you use that polluted water in a sieve, you get polluted dirt, which converts 1:1 to dirt, a very limited resource. Polluted water can also be used to off-gas into polluted oxygen, and fed to pufts. With regolith, you have an unlimited source of sand, so that isn't an issue ever.

Clean water is only useful for electrolyzers, sleet wheat, and bristle blossoms. A sieve/washroom loop produces extra polluted water, so you don't ever need water for that.

I feel like it's more cost efficient using gulp fish though, because if I use the sieve I have to put the water back through another step to get it cold enough for sleet wheat, and whatever else I want it for. And also using a toilet sieve loop is gonna put my base at 40c.
At the moment my base is cold without having to loop the polluted water round it, just as a by-product of having the gulp fish, without me putting any extra resources into it.
The gulp fish don't convert the polluted water faster than the slush geyser outputs though I still have alot of excess. (theres also 2 more slush geysers on the map so it won't be a problem on this playthrough)  

I'm mainly using the fish for the egg shells right now though. I haven't started farming any other animals on this playthrough yet. Kind of deciding what to do next.

Are there other good ways to get polluted dirt? The gulp fish drop it if I feed them. 

(I am actually using the siev for when I want warm water though).

41 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

I feel like it's more cost efficient using gulp fish though, because if I use the sieve I have to put the water back through another step to get it cold enough for sleet wheat, and whatever else I want it for. And also using a toilet sieve loop is gonna put my base at 40c.
At the moment my base is cold without having to loop the polluted water round it, just as a by-product of having the gulp fish, without me putting any extra resources into it.
The gulp fish don't convert the polluted water faster than the slush geyser outputs though I still have alot of excess. (theres also 2 more slush geysers on the map so it won't be a problem on this playthrough)  

I'm mainly using the fish for the egg shells right now though. I haven't started farming any other animals on this playthrough yet. Kind of deciding what to do next.

Are there other good ways to get polluted dirt? The gulp fish drop it if I feed them. 

(I am actually using the siev for when I want warm water though).

a single aquatuner is more than enough to keep sieve water cold 26C good enough for bristles and sleet wheat

Check my post

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

If you have the slime for mushroom farming then why not feed the slime to the hatches?

cut out the middle man and get lots more coal in addition to eggs

I haven't tried slime because I didn't feel like pressurizing the ranch enough to stop it from off-gassing, but I initially tried algae and I assume slime is similar; you get plenty of coal, but they tear through tons of algae and that's too rare to waste like that.  Mushrooms don't take much slime to grow if you use fertilizer and the hatches only seem to eat it as fast as dupes do, so a little mushroom goes a long way to making eggs and meat.  And either you can feed the eggs to the sage hatches as well, or it makes higher quality food for dupes than fried mushrooms.  I guess I started it for the eggs to get more lime to make steel ( not started over since RU so no bones on the map ), but then I noticed the eggs are better food for the dupes too.

On the topic of Hatches and Coal production....

The issue with feeding Sage Hatches food items is the fact that food items have a very high ratio of kCals to mass.  Hatches do not need that many kCals to survive, and as such will eat very little if all you provide them is food items.  But the rate of Coal production is based on the mass eaten.  So if your goal is to produce Coal, food items are the worst possible thing you could feed to Hatches because of how little mass will be consumed.

As an example, a single Bristle Blossom is what, 1700 kCals?  But that's contained in only 1 kg of mass.  So if a Hatch eats it, you're only going to get 500 g of Coal.  After that, you get nothing from that Hatch until it gets hungry and eats again.  So if the Hatch only requires 700 kCals a cycle to live, you're looking at almost 3 cycles before it eats again.  500 g per 3 cycles is a really horrible production rate.

Contrast that to raw non-food materials, which have a very low kCal to mass ratio.  From the ONI Biology thread, it takes 140 kg of non-food material to equate to the 700 kCals for food items.  So you'd be getting 70 kg per cycle.

In the end, the Sage Hatch and it's 100% conversion ratio look super enticing, but to keep them you are pretty much forced to give them food items, which give next to nothing in Coal output, the primary reason for which you would be keeping Hatches.  You'll still get the Eggs and Meat, and all the things that come from those, but not the Coal.

Common hatch - okayish option.

Stone - given that stone is a finite resource (volcanoes produce waytoo small amounts of sedementary for feeding) it is a temporary solution.

Smooth - absolutely horrible. To get them you have to feed normal hatches TONS of metal and then smooths will give you 75% of refined metal. It is better to build refineries

Sage - good as a sustainable pet as both fertilizer and bristles are potentiall infinite resources

6 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Stone - given that stone is a finite resource (volcanoes produce waytoo small amounts of sedementary for feeding) it is a temporary solution.

Temporary as for 2000-3000 cycles given how much rock you can find on your map. Infinite if you start turning regoilth into magma and igneous rock.

15 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

As an example, a single Bristle Blossom is what, 1700 kCals?  But that's contained in only 1 kg of mass.  So if a Hatch eats it, you're only going to get 500 g of Coa

You mean 1000g of coal.

15 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

In the end, the Sage Hatch and it's 100% conversion ratio look super enticing, but to keep them you are pretty much forced to give them food items, which give next to nothing in Coal output, the primary reason for which you would be keeping Hatches.  You'll still get the Eggs and Meat, and all the things that come from those, but not the Coal.

You assume that the only reason for hatches is to produce coal.  I have more coal than I will ever need, so I'm happy with the eggs the sages produce on very little food.  If I had a need for more coal, then yea, stone hatches would be better, but I don't.

10 hours ago, psusi said:
On 11/1/2018 at 2:13 PM, PhailRaptor said:

As an example, a single Bristle Blossom is what, 1700 kCals?  But that's contained in only 1 kg of mass.  So if a Hatch eats it, you're only going to get 500 g of Coa

You mean 1000g of coal.

That section was referencing standard Hatches, which are 50% conversion.  Sage Hatches would be 1 kg instead due to 100% conversion.

Just now, PhailRaptor said:

That section was referencing standard Hatches, which are 50% conversion.  Sage Hatches would be 1 kg instead due to 100% conversion.

Why would you feed food to normal hatches?  Other than to get sage hatches of course.

Archived