So... What's Canon?

I've been fiddling around with the idea of Hamlet lore and bouncing Ideas off other people (especially @HaloFTheSun1, Thanks BTW)

There's a mechanic in Don't Starve's adventure mode that is either non-canon or full of interesting implications. Unfortunately, it seems like non-canon is more likely...

I'm talking about the mechanic where survivors can replace each other on the throne, including beating adventure mode multiple times. The "And so the cycle continues" jazz. In the Cyclum puzzles we see Wilson freed Maxwell from the throne. (Thanks to Halo for pointing this out to my oblivious self)

Spoiler

Cyclum_Page_3_2.png.2a156ddbc306bad2dd727b211f37f2db.png

We also know Wilson was on the throne at the beginning of A New Reign

Spoiler

Charlie_Wilson.png.c67a62f51840a2759529139da82d12a9.png

Now, this means one of two things...

1) Wilson was the only one ever to take the throne, and the whole mechanic of throne succession is non-canon. This also means that either Maxwell or Wilson is non-canon as playable in Hamlet. This is least crazy lore-wise but if true it will make me very sad :wilson_cry:

2) Any number of characters have been on the throne. In order to not contradict the above, either Wilson or Maxwell has to have taken the throne at least twice (Wilson being after Maxwell then was kicked off, but retook the throne before Charlie. Or: Maxwell being "first", kicked off by anyone and retook the throne before Wilson, whose only lore-mandated reign would be right before ANR) This has all kind of really fascinating lore AND character implications, especially for Hamlet, assuming it takes place between Adventure Mode and ANR.

Do we have a solid answer for this, and if not should I invoke the summoning of a developer? Kris, or someone? I'm scared of summoning developers... AHHHH!

For DST, the developers have explained away the character duplicates and despawning at the Celestial Portal with multiple dimensions. Maybe the same thing is in play here? Maybe there are multiple dimensions where different characters took the throne, and the main dimension/timeline or whatever that DST follows is the one where Wilson did. That would make every possible Adventure Mode playthrough semi-canon at least. That's my best guess rn.

They are holding off on a lot of content in this DLC, so by the full release hopefully they add something to it that will help determine where it sits in the canon.

Edit: I just had a thought after writing this.

Spoiler

Supposing that each character occupies their own dimension, the events of Cyclum are unique because Maxwell and Wilson meet in the same dimension. Then I realized that the only reason that even happened is because of Charlie. Charlie released Wilson a different way from the throne, which is obviously why he didn't "die" like Maxwell did.Then Charlie herself sent Wilson back into the Constant, conveniently in the same dimension as Maxwell (intentional?). So Charlie broke the cycle, and I guess that could be why DST's timeline was possible.

OK thought vomit over!

3 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

Charlie released Wilson a different way from the throne, which is obviously why he didn't "die" like Maxwell did.

I thought Maxwell turned into dust, because he was on the Throne for an awfully long time, far exceeding normal human lifespan, while Wilson didn't get the chance to rule for that long before Charlie freed him.

43 minutes ago, Zhuzha said:

I thought Maxwell turned into dust, because he was on the Throne for an awfully long time, far exceeding normal human lifespan, while Wilson didn't get the chance to rule for that long before Charlie freed him.

He was revived by Charlie after she freed Wilson and sent them both to the Constant. 

I think @Kevin posted a bit of a timeline sometime back:

Personally I've always viewed Shipwrecked as non-canon as it happens in DS, but it being an actual place to visit and possible something the main area draws it's power from.

If you notice in Hamlet there are a lot of enemies that look like the robot-enemies in RoG, while Shipwrecked itself is pirate-themed and if you notice the Cutlass Supreme has similar stats to a dark sword, and the Dark Sword itself has a more nautical nature to its design.  

So I also doubt Hamlet will be ''canon'', but it would be a canon area that exists within the lore and where the pig-king/enemies from RoG are inspired from. I think the shadows are stealing concepts and ideas from multiple universes and implementing them in its own world to some kind of end. It likely takes a normal person on its throne to help inspire its creation even more, maybe they can't do it themselves.

8 hours ago, Quoth143 said:

I think @Kevin posted a bit of a timeline sometime back

Thanks for the timeline! It rules out the above multiple shadow thrones theory and also has some "stuff we aren't ready to talk about yet" which I'm pretty sure means Charlie, but leaves room for DLC shenanigans too... So close, yet so far...

Which puts us back at "What's Canon?" We can't decide what's canon ourselves, no matter how much evidence we gather...

That means its time. Time to attempt a Developer Summoning Ritual...

Iä! Iä! @KrisRF fhtagn!

Oh boy I'm trying to summon a developer, I'm so SCARED...

Um... Hi? Is this working?

1) Are Shipwrecked and/or Hamlet canon at all?

2) Is it canon for anyone other then Wilson to beat adventure?

(Like the bit of DS where characters can replace each other, even so far as to put Maxwell back on the throne?)

Are these even things we're supposed to know yet? Will we ever know? Also please don't eat me...

Edit: Did I tag the right developer?

I guess canonically Wilson is the only one who beat Adventure Mode, so "mechanic of throne succession" might be non-canonical. About Hamlet and Shipwrecked being canon for every character; For any other characters (except for Maxwell) SW and HAM DLCs happened at this same time when RoG and/or base game. As it was said in official timeline, Wilson died a lot and respawned again at new islands (so other characters could too), sometimes they would respawn also on SW or HAM worlds or use things such a seaworthy to travel between these 3 worlds. For Maxwell it wasn't said he didn't die in many survival trials after Adventure Mode and before DST story line. I mean, when he was replaced by Wilson on throne, he didn't has to respawn with Wilson on this same world at first time. He could visit SW and HAM worlds and then, after many of his deaths, when Charlie took over the throne, he finally met Wilson in this same world.

1906 - 1910ish: Some crazy stuff happens that we haven't told you about yet.... 

That could mean the start of the diverging timelines/ universes.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, ModsterMash said:

For DST, the developers have explained away the character duplicates and despawning at the Celestial Portal with multiple dimensions. Maybe the same thing is in play here? Maybe there are multiple dimensions where different characters took the throne, and the main dimension/timeline or whatever that DST follows is the one where Wilson did. That would make every possible Adventure Mode playthrough semi-canon at least. That's my best guess rn.

They are holding off on a lot of content in this DLC, so by the full release hopefully they add something to it that will help determine where it sits in the canon.

Edit: I just had a thought after writing this.

Hide contents

Supposing that each character occupies their own dimension, the events of Cyclum are unique because Maxwell and Wilson meet in the same dimension. Then I realized that the only reason that even happened is because of Charlie. Charlie released Wilson a different way from the throne, which is obviously why he didn't "die" like Maxwell did.Then Charlie herself sent Wilson back into the Constant, conveniently in the same dimension as Maxwell (intentional?). So Charlie broke the cycle, and I guess that could be why DST's timeline was possible.

OK thought vomit over!

I mean if the developers already stated this, then it's just the matter of finding out more about how the different universes work. DST has a lot of portals, when creating a world (you are going through a portal to the constant via the Florid Postern), when getting skins, when changing skins, when going to the caves, etc. So shadow magic must be powering all of these portals being formed.

I think in DTS, the developers are tying in all the multiple (constant) dimensions together. I also think that Charlie is trying to get everyone out of the constant, helping however she can so the survivors can go escape. The Forge and Gorge, in my opinion, were done in order for Charlie to link those two dimensions back to the constant. The reason as to why she would are unknown, but I think it is because they are all trapped (including Charlie), and she figures that their only way out rests in the hand of the survivors. This is why she pushes the survivors hard, so they get stronger, and work together towards getting out. I think if she actively worked with them, they might give up eventually and just accept the fact that they are stuck there.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, ModsterMash said:

For DST, the developers have explained away the character duplicates and despawning at the Celestial Portal with multiple dimensions.

Careful. The developer who said this is both not in place familiar with lore and also mentioned this was what they personally thought not something that's confirmed.

Archived