This fog is annoying! Item for it?

I just don't understand the slowness in the fog mechanic. I mean, I know it's just a game and there's "game logic" and all... but this makes no sense from start to finish. Somehow, a thick fog makes your body slot item too heavy (according to Wilson at least). I don't see how fog could do that, but ok. Now the solution to the nonsensical problem is solved with a specific hat. A very specific hat somehow makes your equipment light enough so you can freely walk through a fog. This is just so confusing.

17 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I just don't understand the slowness in the fog mechanic. I mean, I know it's just a game and there's "game logic" and all... but this makes no sense from start to finish. Somehow, a thick fog makes your body slot item too heavy (according to Wilson at least). I don't see how fog could do that, but ok. Now the solution to the nonsensical problem is solved with a specific hat. A very specific hat somehow makes your equipment light enough so you can freely walk through a fog. This is just so confusing.

This isn't just your average day fog. It isn't even your higher end thickness fog. This is absurd fog that drenches you if you're in it too long. It's very humid, and it weighs you down, any additional weight is simply too much.

As far as the items removing the slowdown, unsure. Pith hats are typically used in hot/humid environments, for reasons I'm not super familiar with, so I got nothing there. I guess you could say the weevole mantle is open, so you have some "ventilation"? Dunno.

47 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The concept of the fog is not bad (even if it is pretty much just a sandstorm), and it slowing you down because you can't see makes sense, because you have to be careful not to trip, smash with something, fall off a cliff, and what not; but because it makes your inventory heavy because of humidity is... weird, to say the least. They should just add an item that let's you see in the fog (don't know what though, and would probably require some "magic").

I'm guessing there was a meeting where someone said, "What's a crappy kind of weather that interferes with your ability to function," and someone on the creative team said "high humidity." I agree. A humid summer is the worst, unless, as a friend of mine once put it, you don't mind feeling "mean, dirty and stupid." I know I find it hard to think or do anything in humid weather, until I can reach some AC

On 10/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, Rellimarual said:

I'm guessing there was a meeting where someone said, "What's a crappy kind of weather that interferes with your ability to function," and someone on the creative team said "high humidity." I agree. A humid summer is the worst, unless, as a friend of mine once put it, you don't mind feeling "mean, dirty and stupid." I know I find it hard to think or do anything in humid weather, until I can reach some AC

As a Floridian (and mind you, Florida is quite mild compared to thick jungles), I can agree. I can sweat through a backpack and INTO my books if I'm not careful. And these characters are doing so alllllll day. From a realism standpoint, it's generous that they didn't throw in a sanity penalty, but that's already covered by the wetness mechanic. It's not just hot and wet, it's nothing short of suffocating.

The luxury fan is already in the list of craftable items for the beta build. This leads me to hope that using the luxury fan will remove the fog in the future as currently if you spawn one in and use it during the fog it does not remove it. [Giant gusts of wind should remove the fog, imo.] I imagine that the Roc being a giant bird will probably drop down feathers and will allow you to make it - and this would fit with the motif of a boss dropping items that help you navigate the DS world much more efficiently.

Ok, the high humidity kinda makes sense, but wouldn't that mean it would slow you down regardless of what you have equipped? The pith hat somehow fixes the problem, and so does removing any hat or body slot items. What about the clothes they're always wearing under everything? Wouldn't that cause the same issue? The second half of this fog mechanic still doesn't make sense to me.

I can already imagine Steven king's fog monsters in the game because of this damn fog. When the season starts, monters starts to come in the fog, these... weird looking, more than 2 eyed freaks, with creepy crawly legs, lurking... stalking you from afar, you can't see them. But they can see you. After the fog disappears, they'll go down into the ground waiting for the next fog.. or humid season..

Archived