Did the metal refinery start making more heat?

The steel recipe on the refinery just produces a considerable amount of heat.  Twice as much heat as producing iron, in fact.  Producing gold is much smaller in comparison.  Perhaps you're just remembering how you used it in the past before we had all these volcanoes and iron dropping from the sky.  If you mouse-over the amount of heat that the recipe says it creates, it basically tells you how much it's going to heat the coolant inside.

RefineryHeat1.thumb.jpg.ee5df4a2291187d4d12911afb9f2f933.jpg

I have also heard, on several occasions, that there's also a bug with the metal refinery and that it can accidentally double-heat coolant if one batch of coolant hasn't fully left the machine before a Dupe finishes another job on it.  But that may or may not be true, I haven't tested it for myself.

Ahh, I figured it might be different heat on different recipes.  I just never noticed any description indicating such; only the "produced significantly heated coolant" part for operating it in general, which made it sound like it should be the same heat for everything.

Water isn't a good enough coolant for steel refining. I learned this recently as well. You need at least cold pwater, but better if it's oil or petroleum.

I think this could be more intuitive, but in hindsight it makes a bit of sense and serves at least some purpose.

I had a system going where I'd circulate pwater through a refinery until it was over 80 degrees C, but under 120. It would be dumped into a holding tank with a germ sensor, which would pump the germ free pwater through a sieve and an aquatuner, before being pumped back into my clean water tank at 24 degrees C. After the last changes to the heat capacity of pwater, I've found it's still possible, but I have to watch the temperatures of the coolant, where I didn't before. In my current map, I tried a few similar ideas, but I have run into a couple broken pipes. In my future builds, I plan to use crude oil or petroleum.

Before RU you did NOT want to use PW as coolant because of its higher heat capacity.  The same temperature increase meant you were making more heat.  It's also annoying that the pwater off-gasses in the machine.

11 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I just use a large pool of polluted water at 30C. It is now 40C after 20 tons of gold, 15 tons of iron, 5 tons of steel and 10 tons of glass.

Is this pool like half the size of the map?  In a previous world I did that and it became quite hot before maybe 5 tons of copper and gold.  Now I have it in a closed loop exchanging heat with my cold pwater bath that is in turn cooled by an aquatuner dumping heat into the hot pwater tank which gets voided when sieved, and the hot pwater tank is now up to 150 F.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Before RU you did NOT want to use PW as coolant because of its higher heat capacity.  The same temperature increase meant you were making more heat.

The smelter calculates temperature increase as energy and not a flat increase. This means it heated the polluted water less so it was an amazing coolant. Now, not so much.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Is this pool like half the size of the map?  In a previous world I did that and it became quite hot before maybe 5 tons of copper and gold.  Now I have it in a closed loop exchanging heat with my cold pwater bath that is in turn cooled by an aquatuner dumping heat into the hot pwater tank which gets voided when sieved, and the hot pwater tank is now up to 150 F.

I maybe should have stated that this pool resides in a cold biome. But the biome is only at 10°C. Anyway it's participating in its cooling. My bad !

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

The smelter calculates temperature increase as energy and not a flat increase. This means it heated the polluted water less so it was an amazing coolant. Now, not so much.

Are you sure?  I thought it was a flat increase, which is why you can use molten copper in the magmificator to produce more heat.

That’s why I only refine gold in early game, cuz then I don’t have any heat issues and can refine as many as possible. Later game, I use steam turbine powered by refinery making steel, and that power is enough to support refinery, self sufficient and no heat issue.

11 hours ago, psusi said:

Are you sure?  I thought it was a flat increase, which is why you can use molten copper in the magmificator to produce more heat.

I`m sure. Each recipie has energy created listed. This is why gold heats the coolant the least and steel the most. Pre RU polluted water at room temperature (from my waste tank) was going to around 65-70oC when making steel. Now it goes up to 85-90oC. The difference is pretty big.

Archived