Dupes building diagonally through rocks/tiles, is it intended?

Hi,

Is ordering your dupes to build tiles diagonally through other rocks/tiles intended or not? I'm trying to play the game "as intended" and i'm wondering because gases don't come out in diagonal so it makes it a bit too easy to deal with gas pockets. And dupes can dig, deliver and build that way but can't pickup materials that same way from the other side. 

Also, does gas pressure have any effect on the rocks/tiles (like damaging them)?

Thanks!

Example:

5b91179741579_pocketinggas.thumb.png.b886dae58bc0d69a102132d1c168f9b1.png

This is part of the game for quite a while. So, i'd argue that it's intended.

The overpressuring (and eventual deletion of matter) is a side-effect that i am not so happy with either, but the diagonal building allows us to do alot of other stuff (such as building vacuum or pushing away a small body of water), which would be very tedious to achieve otherwise.

Tiles do indeed break if under sufficient pressure. I dont think that this can happen with gases (under normal circumstances). It is however quite common that pockets of oil in the oil biome are under immense pressure, which can break natural tiles as well as built ones. As soon as there is a wall consisting of at least 3 tiles, they will no longer break though.

Thank you for your answers! I'll have no remorses using this method then :D

I know it's a singleplayer game, but if i end up using glitches/exploits, i might as well just use the sandbox mode and delete everything annoying...

58 minutes ago, blash365 said:

The overpressuring (and eventual deletion of matter) is a side-effect that i am not so happy with either

I didn't pay attention to that comment earlier but i just realized that you can actually make stuff vanish into nothingness.. I just compressed a pocket of hydrogen gas down to 1 tile, build something in that tile, deconstructed it, and *poof*, all the hydrogen i compressed was gone from the map.... it's indeed upsetting :/

In all games without this, building stuff become a bigger micro hell, where you can't simply designate a new square rooms to be built, but have to build them in stages wasting time waiting until each one is complete or else get the annoying missing corner.

I went insane in rimworld and prison architect when builders would always do the intersection block last, so i would have to deconstruct and rebuild. Plus running any utilities through corners was impossible and a pain in the ass. While some people may exploit it, it's definitely better than having to deal with not having it.

It took a couple of days, but the concept of diagonal building had kind of eluded me, for a long time now. Thanks for asking the question.

You forced me to re-consider my entire opening procedure. I also have mixed feeling about using the diagonal build. But, if they intend to keep it in, I intend to utilize it.

Great question, OP. thnx

On ‎11‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 5:08 PM, Rogue Witch said:

dd.thumb.JPG.3a6a2bef4bbe4251815c8d3333e29d83.JPG

Well, How about this then ?

Clearly, this is not a "Corner build" scenario. Bug ?

Stinky had clear line of sight to the canvas and started building. Meep came along and constructed a tile right in his face, but Stinky diligently continued his task. Dupes seem to not continuously check if the object is still reachable during the actual construction process.

I had simply relegated it from my mind. I know that it is a mechanic, but it just did not occur to me to actually use it. Not sure how, or why I decidedly overlooked that method of expansion. Especially when it can be so effective. It literally changed my thinking about how to open LC, and what was important first hand. It allows me a dynamic that I did not previously consider. I had simply shut it out as a method, or a means, sadly. But, now I get to fix that.

I sure hope its intended. i use this mechanic ALL THE TIME :)

its been around since the early days - it facilitates controlling which fluids and gases end up where in your base and is integral in my opinion.

of course there are other ways to deal with mixes after the fact but its much more efficient to not have a mix in the first place :)

Archived