Regolith big problem

11500 tones of regolith and this is only what my duplicants can access. My friends from the kley development department. This is insane. I can wait for 3 minutes for the game loading, but what i can do whit this much regolith? You need to rework the quantity of regolith drop off by the comets, or adjust the number of the comets, or both.

For now i am trying to melt it, but this isn't a solution...(by the way, in all that storage containers is regolith, and is only a small portion of the asteroid. In this rhythm i will fill all the asteroid whit storage containers filled whit regolith...)

Post edit:

Or if you want ideas. Put an option to the glass forge to accept regolith and sand for the glass making. In this way we can smelt it or convert it to glas and then sand whit the rock granulator.

image.thumb.png.36a9b1836caeda0a1cf1071daf0b23f3.png

Melting is probably the best thing you can do.  It actually has some benefits because it adds heat so you can do more heat based stuff like boil crude oil (though I believe this is removed in the latest update) with less magma or metal.  Plus, then you get igneous rock, which then in turn can be made in to sand.  If you are not above using exploits, you can pour the magma in to one tile for storage using infinite compression techniques. 

I do feel that our games have enough reasons to come to a crawl by cycle 1250 without a constantly increasing supply of regolith.  We should be able to jettison it in to space.  Maybe they will add that option since we are getting rockets.

Not a perfect solution but if you just want to collect it all to stop it from lagging the game, you could put it all under a bunker door (sweep it up, then drop it out of the compactors), wait for some regolith to accumulate on top of it and then bury all of the collected regolith:

regolith-bury-1.jpg.1a42e5d0c721d57768543cd295cfa230.jpgregolith-bury-2.jpg.810c1a980b2f3378da7b2f653667adb3.jpg

Once done, close bunker door. By the time you have enough regolith to bury again, the door should be covered again and you can dig away the regolith in the pit and repeat the process.

Not the heat of it bother me, The quantity bother me. If i want I can easily cool it and store it. But I spent i think 50 cycle to clean and store one corner of my asteroid (and i didn't finish yet) For what i see i don't have enough sand to make glass to try to melt it.

Post edit:

I will try to send it to the bottom of the asteroid and melt it there...but i think i will end by having tones of solid igneous rock At 1408 degrees.

You can compress the regolith using a dropper. I have ~15000T of the stuff in a single tile. At first I intended to delete it but the regolith is not disappearing.

Just use compactors instead of the conveyor receptacle, that way the arm sweeper will drop 1000 kg at a time instead of a maximum of 100 kg. It still takes a lot of time, but at least I dont need to build a never-ending warehouse.

Not the space is the problem, the quantity is the problem. I will start a new game this time only whit pacifist dupes. I hope this time the meteor shower will start after i explore the surface, and prevent this way the accumulation of regolith. I will prepare before reaching the surface a smelter using drop off sweep arm and magma.

The flatulent dupe base is doomed :) regolith is my problem this time.

Well, the problem is how much a single rock meteor will produce which may very well be indeed half a compactor.

Solutions may include a machine to turn it into other common materials (sandstone, granite) though the amount is still massive. It'd be better to compress it and have it somehow lose mass&produce thermal energy. In the best case it would be turned into liquid and send back to space but the amount of heat necessary would be, again, massive.

In any event, the endgame should not be ruined by such with no way out. I say "yes" to having to manage Regolith but I say "no" to duplicant-abuse! (Like seriously, one would still need ~100 glass forge uses albeit compressing it to 1/4th to deal with one heavy rock meteor and the cost would not just be 120kW/6 Smart Batteries but it takes many more seconds...)

2 hours ago, tzionut said:

I hope this time the meteor shower will start after i explore the surface,

Well, I have some bad news for you 20180825222235_1.thumb.jpg.7509779b1eb329c6510ab25d5c2ad6e0.jpg

After some cycles, I have decided to abandon this game, took a look a the map to see what it was worth and discovered this. Of course, since it was a new game, I never went to the surface and never used debug mode in this game... Look like it's still Death From Above from cycle 1 :/

2 hours ago, Dracian said:

Well, I have some bad news for you 20180825222235_1.thumb.jpg.7509779b1eb329c6510ab25d5c2ad6e0.jpg

After some cycles, I have decided to abandon this game, took a look a the map to see what it was worth and discovered this. Of course, since it was a new game, I never went to the surface and never used debug mode in this game... Look like it's still Death From Above from cycle 1 :/

I made my way to the surface at cycle 250 and it looked similar to that screenshot. (maybe the facility was lower or something) the facility had a bit more regolith inside but no abyssalite tiles were hurt yet.

I didn`t build anything above the starting biome before cycle 180 afraid of triggering the meteors. i started hearing them half way to the top. The top biomes would most likely be safe for at least 50 more cycles so if it actually startd cycle 1 for me then it`s not as bad as they say. Still 300 cycles is the time you need to be ready to protect your home.

You can compress the regolith using a dropper

I can excavate and leave it on the surface but the game will be slower and slower, by destroying some of the regolith it can run faster. I will fast forward this time rushing the lime and steel production as fast as i can to cover the top of the space whit bunker tile before cycle 500. This is my new goal.

I suspect objects on the ground stop being part of the simulation as a buried object, and you can bury many objects under one tile of regolith, so that's why I suggested the bunker door + burying approach above.

I suspect objects on the ground stop being part of the simulation as a buried object, and you can bury many objects under one tile of regolith, so that's why I suggested the bunker door + burying approach above.

It won't work. I tried to kill pacu in this way...melting is the only solution :( I have an magma minor volcano. I will use it to see if i can make something If not i will continue the pacifist duplicants colony.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:50 AM, tzionut said:

Or if you want ideas. Put an option to the glass forge to accept regolith and sand for the glass making. In this way we can smelt it or convert it to glas and then sand whit the rock granulator.

It would not solve the problem. You'd have have too much glass or too much sand. To really get rid of it, you have to melt it and then let the magma disappear into space. But where is the fun in that?

I think the only real solution is less regolith. If regolith was useful for something else like power generation or critter feeding, it would break game balance. The reason it is not breaking balance right now, is because polluted water and polluted oxygen is limited. So either you limit additional regolith applications by other resources or you break balance. If you limit regolith usage, you will still have way too much of it. It is not like you have ten or hundred times the regolith you need, you have thousand or ten-thousand times the regolith you can use up.

Less regolith could also be realized by storms on the surface, that blow it away, which seems quite fitting to the space setting.

Se que el que quiera leerme me traducira. Yo me he dejado de preocupar casi por el regolito, debido que en el ciclo en el que estoy casi 1200 he logrado cubrir por lo menos un 85% de la superficie de punta a punta con bunquer, dejando el regolito y todo el material caliente por fuera de mi base, lo que si he perdido los biomas de la superficie, puesto que he puesto el muro por debajo del material hiper caliente que se estaba creando gracias a la lluvia de meteoros.

Ya tendria que estar cerrado por completo si me hubiera percatado de que los meteoritos me harían pedazo la base en algún momento. La produccion de cal es muy lenta y eso que tengo uno a dos ranchos de cada criatura del juego que no queria que se extinga. 

base.jpg

It would not solve the problem. You'd have have too much glass or too much sand.

Yes it will be solved... whit regolith you make glass. The glass can be crushed to make sand. sand can be melted and make glass again.

100 regolith = 25 glass... you see the picture? You can in this way to reduce the qunatity of regolith

Post edit.

Finaly somthing that work

100 regolith / 50 seconds is melted in a pool of magma. Is not an ideal solution but it work

image.thumb.png.80b3a963570ac4153236714e4e77cbaa.png

Then you would just have to consume 100 000 tons of regolith with glass forges, easy.

I agree with a lot less regolith. If we get a way to use it, those quantities would break some aspects of the game. And if we can't like now, it's just a pain to deal with.

Archived