Regolith big problem

but a way to get rid of the heat.

From what i understand is the heat of the regolith? I don't think the smelter is the problem....

And as mathmanican said .. use the steam turbine to cool the regolith to 230 degrees.. then oil to cool if further.. or magma to melt it...

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Be careful with that. Oil heats up veeeeryyyy quickly. If you can, petroleum is a slightly better option.

Why do you say that?  It's SHC is 1.69, which is only 4% less than petroleum's 1.76.

That's the thing. A higher heat capacity means the liquid will rise less in temperature. I believe p water has double the heat capacity, hence half the temperature rise.

Yes, but oil and petroleum are essentially the same,and you said to use petroleum instead.

47 minutes ago, psusi said:

Yes, but oil and petroleum are essentially the same,and you said to use petroleum instead.

Yes because petroleum has a slightly higher capacity, plus a higher evaporation point. 1.76 vs 1.69 (crude oil) if I am correct. That's around 4% more heat capacity as you said. That may not be a whole lot, but it's atleast something and might be able to squeeze one more round of heating.

Plus a higher evaporation point, which actually can be much more important, If you count in the maximum temperature of the liquid states, petroleum swings 596°C between freezing and evaporation point, crude oil does only 440°C. That's 35.5% more potential temperature range to dump heat into. The total potential surplus of heat you can dump into petroleum is  40.9% (multiplicative).

Not quite the same as far as potential goes.

Yes because petroleum has a slightly higher capacity, plus a higher evaporation point. 1.76 vs 1.69 (crude oil) if I am correct. That's around 4% more heat capacity as you said. That may not be a whole lot, but it's atleast something and might be able to squeeze one more round of heating.

Plus a higher evaporation point, which actually can be much more important, If you count in the maximum temperature of the liquid states, petroleum swings 596°C between freezing and evaporation point, crude oil does only 440°C. That's 35.5% more potential temperature range to dump heat into. The total potential surplus of heat you can dump into petroleum is  40.9% (multiplicative).

Not quite the same as far as potential goes.

True, 4% is better than a sharp stick in the eye, but the low temperature point doesn't matter since you would have to first cool it down before raising it up, and that would defeat the purpose.  Especially if you're just using it to boil steam to run the turbine.  So it looks like the refinery will need to heat it up to around 500F to run the turbine.  Won't that make the refinery heat up and possibly overheat?

Also, the aquatuner both does not overheat, nor delete heat around it once it reaches its overheat temperature?

Oh shoot, I just realized that at that temperature, you can't pump the hot petrol ( pump will overheat ).  That seems to kill this idea.

I did indeed forgot about the overheat temperature of the metal refinery. However, would constructing it out of abyssalite not make it near impossible to have the refinery soak in the heat? If it does not, you could heat your petroleum close to the evaporation point, which is where its big advantage over crude oil really lies. You could use that temperature to maybe boil oil into petroleum?

What about the fact that a pump can't handle that heat?  Why the hell does making a pump out of wolframite not give it an overheat bonus at all, let alone higher than gold?  Did someone say the new reservoir doesn't exchange heat with its contents?

7 hours ago, psusi said:

Oh shoot, I just realized that at that temperature, you can't pump the hot petrol ( pump will overheat ).  That seems to kill this idea.

No need for a pump, you can make a closed loop. 

7 hours ago, psusi said:

Won't that make the refinery heat up and possibly overheat?

Mine is built with ceramic and never overheated so far.

The refinery alone cannot keep up with a steam turbine but it's a set-and-forget thing.

9 hours ago, psusi said:

What about the fact that a pump can't handle that heat?  Why the hell does making a pump out of wolframite not give it an overheat bonus at all, let alone higher than gold?  Did someone say the new reservoir doesn't exchange heat with its contents?

Yeah you can build a closed loop with a radiator design inside an oil pool. The whole set up is a bit more tricky, but ultimately you can do it without using a single exploit.

19 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Yeah you can build a closed loop with a radiator design inside an oil pool. The whole set up is a bit more tricky, but ultimately you can do it without using a single exploit.

This is exactly what I've done in my base.  You definitely want to use petroleum in the loop.  The tank is kept reliably around 290C-ish, so it's always returning back to the refinery at about that temperature, but the output coolant when processing steel is coming out every time around 430C-ish.  Also, a good idea is to make sure you use, at least, around 40-ish pipe segments.  That way, there's space for one batch of coolant to go out and the previous batch goes right back in.  So, there ends up being around 1200KGs of coolant total.  800KGs in the refinery and around 400KGs in the pipe loop.

RefineryLoop1.thumb.jpg.1913e500eb7ea7d427d6276de1972fb2.jpg

Based on saturnus design this is regolith magmaficator.

This design is build in sandbox mode but it can be build in survival mode. For preventing the spill of magma the bottle emptier will be dismantled after the magma reach the second row, and you will build a ceramic tile. His previous version had the disadvantage that after the magma solidify and get cold (after 200 cycle) the steam engine will stop.

Liquid pipe sensor is set at above100 degrees, and the liquid sensor is set above 1 kg.

How it works:

The hydrogen layer push the steam below so constant steam flow. The chlorine clamp is heated by the solidify igneous rock. When the magma reach the second row enter in contact whit the metal tile (steel) and melt the igneous rock, that trigger the sweep loader and receiver. I used only prespace materials (ceramic, steel, wolfram, obsidian)

The disadvantages. Low quantities of regolith melted compared whit the submerged in the bottom magma version. The advantages. Is modular, it can be stacked horizontal and vertical without player intervention. Set it up and forget about it. The extra power can be used for opening the bunker door. It used a lots of bugs and exploits...so...

image.thumb.png.5b6ba05095ad6019f0af3c4a451fd708.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.93b88af22dbec9519bf1f87b4fd21a74.png

image.thumb.png.320765168bb6e5e298b6786c268d6b1e.png

image.thumb.png.3408a33b7f104f3521d7990a1d4c8f65.png

image.thumb.png.72fab57381805565a8be8a07f2ad09d0.png

image.thumb.png.40e7a75647169bdd5e8ddef5531982b7.png

I wish I had a mod or option to play the game completely without regolith. I can't see anything positive flooding the originally well balanced world with regolith and slowing down the game performance too.

Whats the fastest way to send the Regolith from the surface to the bottom of the map?

I am trying to use the Automatic Door with a Sweaper and use gravity, but I cant find a way to automatically "drop" materials over a door.

21 minutes ago, Segato said:

I am trying to use the Automatic Door with a Sweaper and use gravity, but I cant find a way to automatically "drop" materials over a door.

Cycle the sweeper on for 3 seconds at a time with a buffer and NOT gate gate end to end. Note sweeper should not be able to reach the dropped material.

In the new version the aqua tuner receive damage so, you have several option

1. Build a steam pump to pump up the magma in the void area and there melt the regolith :)....it will be damaged but it will work (any pump will receive damage so...better steam because will not melt...

2 Use a bottle magma to melt regolith...to time consuming

3 use door compressor for transporting the magma up, and melt the regolith as i build in my several posts

4 use the heat of any volcano for melting the regolith (indirect contact if isn't a magma volcano)

Official i can affirm that the regolith problem is solved

After i start another game in SIU and rush again for steel production, i finish my regolith no more wall at cycle 266, and trapped 5 shove vole, but 2 died so whit 3 shove vole and 113.3  tones of regolith i want to see how efficient the shove vole are.

P.S. In the previous game at cycle 295 I have 9200 tones, now 113.3 tones, huge improvement.

image.thumb.png.f2487e928f7bb2082a95e85be8eeb512.png

After 2 cycle in which i build an storage compactor and transported all the regolith to the shove vole, I remain whit 42.7 tones so 35 tones/ cycle is the most efficient system created for escape the huge amount of regolith.

image.thumb.png.ab46e65ad0ee1cb7bd6b5b77ac0996f5.png

Personal i think is a bug whit the quantity of regolith eated by the shove vole. If you have chunks of 20tones i think the shove vole eat it all instead of 500kg limit / cycle. I dig it whit dupes and repeat the process.

After seeing the results i am glad that kley solved the regolith problem by reducing the quantity dropped by meteors and create creatures that eat it.

Thank you.

P.S. For the old game saves, except to melt it volcanoes or in bottom magma, or transport the magma to the surface using door compressors, or gas pump exploit, or bottle and melt there the excess regolith you don,t have any solution.

Archived