Regolith to sand?

9 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

I have regolith not sure how u choose to load it.   since the info says "using sand"

You don't have classic way to priorize the regolith instead of the sand. Auto-sweeper is a good solution or place your sand in a lock area with the Glass Forge.

27 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

In other words, you can't specifically order the use of Regolith over Sand.  You have to restrict the dupe's access to the Sand so that they have no choice but to use the Regolith.

But why would you want to do this? Use up sand completely, then they move on to regolith. Naturally.

5 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Yea sand is used a lot specifically.   so ideally you want to use regolith as first priority where ever it needs filtering.

2 hours ago, he77789 said:

Because sieve accepts both but glass forge only accepts sand.

If I put regolith in my sieve without cooling it, will it heat up to 300?

59 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

If I put regolith in my sieve without cooling it, will it heat up to 300?

The heat is deleted when the regolith is used up, but there will always be a lot of unused regolith waiting in the sieve as well. It will be as if the regolith in that sieve is just lying on the ground in front of it. Things will heat up over time if you don't provide cooling at all, but as long as you don't try to deliver 300 C regolith throughout your base via conveyor it is nothing a normal base with a few planted wheezeworts  can't handle.

In theory, if you have base, where you have breached the surface, you can have a sieve at the surface, on the exo suit side, pump in spare pw, and output to the radiant pipes which run along the surface of your surface breech.  You would use regolith to filter, and the water would be 40c leaving.  It would cool the 200-300c piles and you could send the hot water to space.  Although, I am guessing the water would flash to steam in the pipes and break everything instantly?  

Late game, the overheated minerals are a bigger problem for me than anything else.  I do have one base that had only a couple of cool steam vents and an anemic water geyser.  That was the only late game I had where water was an issue recently.  

Also, if you somehow managed to use up all the sand and too much crushable rock on the map, it is possible to turn regolith into sand by melting it into magma and cooling it down again into igneous rock, then crushing it.

3 hours ago, tzionut said:

Why turning into sand?

It's better use it to make steam for steam generators, then feed it to the hatch or build whit it. There are lots of wall tile to build in the vacuum area, and you don't have enough mafic rock.

you can't feed hatches regolith but you can send convert regolith to a resource that a hatch wouldn't mind eating:clay from deoderizers

14 hours ago, ShadowOfALegend said:

you can't feed hatches regolith but you can send convert regolith to a resource that a hatch wouldn't mind eating:clay from deoderizers

The only problem with that is that you would need a huge number of morbs (or offgas lots of polluted water) to produce it on a large scale. A happy, tamed hatch will eat 140 kg of clay per cycle which needs 1.75 deodorizers running at full speed. You will need to supply 175 g/s of polluted oxygen to do that and will get 157.5 g/s oxygen out of it.

So assuming you switched your entire oxygen production from electrolyzers to polluted oxygen deodorization, for every duplicant breathing you can feed 0.63 hatches with clay.

In addition since you will need to automate the deodorizers, you will need to pump the oxygen to distribute it to your base, you can't benefit from the power savings of half-open electrolyzer builds, you don't get any power from making hydrogen and you cannot feed it your hot geyser water to delete some heat there.

It's doable but there are quite some hurdles and drawbacks as well.

Archived