[Game Update] - 280490

• Developer

Changes

• Recent Encounters screen has been redone.
  • Player badges now indicate when a player is in a loading screen (i.e. connecting to the server, or migrating between Forest and Caves.)
  • Updated Spiky Tree Portrait and Spider Nest Portrait.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed rare crash caused by haunting a Crock Pot while it is cooking Jellybeans.
  • Fixed bug on clients where broken Fences did not clear pathfinding.
  • Fixed bug causing Baby Beefalo to sometimes split from their herd when fully grown.
  • Fixed bug preventing herds from merging properly.
  • Fixed bug where Bunnymen and Pig Men inside their houses can still acquire combat targets.

View full update

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

i don't think this deserves its own topic, and it's not exactly a bug, so i'm just gonna put this here:
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/86-check-for-latest-steam-build/
the "check for latest steam build" button at the top of the DST forum still leads to "The Forge is Now Live on Steam!" topic from almost a year ago. that's kind of silly

Edited by Field Field
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, V2C said:
  • Recent Encounters screen has been redone.
  • Player badges now indicate when a player is in a loading screen (i.e. connecting to the server, or migrating between Forest and Caves.)

These sound great, thanks! Can't wait to see them in game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V2C said:

Fixed bug where Bunnymen and Pig Men inside their houses can still acquire combat targets

Awesome! This made farming bunnymen a pain if I put my pen anywhere near where I would frequent. Can't tell you how many times this got me killed or seriously hurt.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, V2C said:

Player badges now indicate when a player is in a loading screen (i.e. connecting to the server, or migrating between Forest and Caves.)

That's a step in the right direction, but I'm sure it'll largely go unnoticed. I think it would be a lot better if you guys could somehow work out a way to keep the chat log when moving between shards. I can't count the amount of times I missed something in the server's chat because I was entering or exiting the caves.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Does this prevent from making new herds in other places now, or is this unrelated?

They behave like goats now (kind of). No more exponential growth. No more servers with 40 herds and over 300 beefalo. Or phantom herds.

Kill all but one, and lure it with feeding or saddle and ride it to displace the herd.

Beefalo herd updates every 8 seconds for members within a 20 units radius (about 3 and a half tiles).

Important to not fully domesticate the lone beef, or the herd won't be able to find a feral parent inside the herd to attach the baby.

Another way would be the following:

1) Wait until there's baby beefalo.

2) Kill everything but 1 baby beefalo.

3) Relocate the lone baby beefalo with teleportation.

When the baby grows, the baby will be deleted. The herd will be empty and removed. The herd will no longer be valid.

A new grown beefalo will spawn on its place. Since the herd is no longer valid, a new herd will spawn there.

A problem may arise where you teleport the baby, but the beefalo herd was on the mood and spawning babies, so a new baby spawns next to your baby. If your baby grows, the herd will still be valid. Now you will have your grown baby, and the new baby, running against the wall trying to return to the herd that's far away. To avoid this problem you would need to do the herd relocation outside Spring or if they're in the mood.

All of this because the herd only updates positions for the members that are nearby. It is truly a conundrum. What's the difference between a herd with a member that's 10 units away from the update range versus a herd with a member that's 50 units away from the update range? Maybe the telelocator staff should make teleported units leave the herd and make their own? But then we could make new herds from a single herd: teleport one goat and one beefalo from a herd to duplicate herds... Would it be balanced to make gigantic meat farms with telelocator staffs and bases?

We could also make it so if you have 1 member only, the herd position updates no matter what. This would fix the telelocation issue. But then this means that any herds with 1 single member will wander to zones of the map where they shouldn't be. Beefalo would wander way outside the savannah, since the herd point would keep moving with them.

We could also apply the goat treatment: if you have one beefalo, you push it to where you want the herd.

-- babybeefalo.lua
local function SetFullyGrown(inst)
    local herd = inst.components.herdmember ~= nil and inst.components.herdmember:GetHerd() or nil
    local count = herd ~= nil and herd.components.herd ~= nil and herd.components.herd.membercount or nil

local grown = SpawnPrefab("beefalo")
    grown.Transform:SetPosition(inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition())
    grown.Transform:SetRotation(inst.Transform:GetRotation())
    grown.sg:GoToState("grow_up_pop")

if count ~= nil and count == 1 then
        -- add before removing or herd will be destroyed
        if herd ~= nil and herd.components.herd ~= nil and herd:IsValid() then
            herd.components.herd:AddMember(grown)
        end
        inst:Remove()
    else
        inst:Remove()
        if herd ~= nil and herd.components.herd ~= nil and herd:IsValid() then
            herd.components.herd:AddMember(grown)
        end
    end
end

This would turn the beefalo herds into goat herds.

So yeah, if you have any ideas or feedback, discuss it.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Does this prevent from making new herds in other places now, or is this unrelated?

I think the only way to create a new herd now is to fully domesticate a beefalo then undoemsticate it.

I don't like this "bugfix".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2018 at 3:19 PM, V2C said:

Fixed bug where Bunnymen and Pig Men inside their houses can still acquire combat targets.

...this has been going on for so long that I thought it was intended behavior.
Cavefrid thanks you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spideswine said:

I think the only way to create a new herd now is to fully domesticate a beefalo then undoemsticate it.

It's not the only way but it is a valid way.

A domesticated beefalo abandons its herd and when it goes feral it creates a new one.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spideswine said:

What other ways are there?(to create additional beefalo herds)

I was going to write it but then I realized that I ****** up and I was the one generating the new herds with my debug lines.

So yeah, domestication it is. The other way was my fault. My bad for raising hopes.

If I figure something out I will post new results.

Edited by DarkXero
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, spideswine said:

I don't like this "bugfix".

Also RIP Webber's only alternative to solo bee queen using allies, since he's the only one who can't use the bunnymen strategy, pigs and flingos strategy, just pigs strategy, etc. Now he can't use ornery herds either.

Well, technically speaking you probably still can, but it would take Eons in game time to make enough herds to do it, compared to how it was before.

Edited by ShadowDuelist

On 4. 8. 2018 at 5:58 AM, ImDaMisterL said:

Nah, that's just what he wants, though it is very likely. I don't think Klei will manage to release a new Event for December, and that's when Hamlet's supposed to come out.

I thought there were dev-groups and 1 does oni , 2nd one does hot lava 3rd one ds alone and 4th one dst?

Hello, I would like to ask you, if there is a posibility to put street lantern (lighting all the time or turning on automaticly during the night)to game Don't starve together in original version not in mode as right now ? Long-time playing player DST