Morale: Had my first colony implode in over a year Thanks Klei!

Title says it all.  Played hundreds of hours, but this week had my first colony completely wipe due to morale.  Last dupe died of starvation.   Haven't felt this excited and motivated about starting a new game in a long time!  Thanks for keeping this game fresh!  Already planning out my next colony's rooms.

Finally, someone else who enjoys watching the dupes suffer and drop like flies. That's how I personally keep my morale up too.

Want to join this padded cell with me while we share builds and strategies? It could be fun.

Morale is easy, especially if you dont over promote.  What is broken is morale for sick dups.  They lost great hall, bathroom, bed, and interaction buffs so stress out in the med bays.  I had to micro a sick dup to avoid death.  Manually locking him out of med bay to eat, socialize and briefly sleep.

When you know how to handle stress, EU influences it not much, but slows down developement.
Expressions need more impact and love, dupes more personality. In the "now state" it's flat and no reason to build a fresh base for me again.
Me waiting for real "lategame content" to make game more interesting again.
1500 Hours on my ONI clock lol

This update seems to be like all those before it.  When it comes out, your old strategies cause issues.  You adapt and you are right back to the grind.  The key seems to be going slow out of the gate, promote slowly.  Give art high priority at the beginning of a game.  I keep thinking there will be a tipping point with these updates that will increase challenges as you move later in the cycles instead of the game becoming a cake walk and strictly an exercise in building the same things more an more creatively.  As it is, once you stabilize, for me that is, let's say 75-100, you generally start cruising.  

Expressive changed the meta regarding promotions and that's good.

Instead of bumping everyone to tier zillion, it's better to have one t6 dupe who knows everything, a handful of t4 farmer/rancher/miners/electric engineers, and a bunch of tier2 plebs who do the grunt work like hauling, cooking, (non-abyssalite) digging etc.

However, the UI is still inadequate, because filling a tier requires 5+ manual job reassignments per dupe, and the UI still doesn't even show that a dupe mastered a job or that a job is mastered by dupe. It is less inadequate than back then when the meta was to creep forward and have everyone be a master of all trades (instead of the jacks we have now), but it's still not fixed.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

Expressive changed the meta regarding promotions and that's good.

Instead of bumping everyone to tier zillion, it's better to have one t6 dupe who knows everything, a handful of t4

Still bumping everyone to tier zillion! Zero f*** given xD

But damn i need to rethink my bed layout, 4 tile ceiling...

4 hours ago, old_fantom said:

This update seems to be like all those before it.  When it comes out, your old strategies cause issues.  You adapt and you are right back to the grind.  The key seems to be going slow out of the gate, promote slowly.  Give art high priority at the beginning of a game.  I keep thinking there will be a tipping point with these updates that will increase challenges as you move later in the cycles instead of the game becoming a cake walk and strictly an exercise in building the same things more an more creatively.  As it is, once you stabilize, for me that is, let's say 75-100, you generally start cruising.  

Thermal is the last one that kicked my butt, and this one....

15 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

this ^ the lack of interration with other dupes, paired with the lack of great hall etc can be a nightmare.

I am surprised there are not many threads or comments about the stress spiral associated with sickness.  I rarely get sick dups but was slow to exosuits this game and had 2 dups get sick and I was surprised how broken it was.  

3 hours ago, chemie said:

I am surprised there are not many threads or comments about the stress spiral associated with sickness.  I rarely get sick dups but was slow to exosuits this game and had 2 dups get sick and I was surprised how broken it was.  

Happened to me on stream on my first play of the update, the chain reaction is real :D 

23 hours ago, chemie said:

Not for lvl 6 dips.  Decor gives max +12 of the needed 20

Feed them +8 food or better and you are all set. If you do not have that food yet, then you went for lvl 6 far too quickly....

29 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Feed them +8 food or better and you are all set. If you do not have that food yet, then you went for lvl 6 far too quickly....

I believe it was good meal and nice decor so +14.  The point is you were at good balance until they get sick, then lose around 10 morale due to sick bay mechanic and that is hard to make up.

In fact, a lvl 3 dup is even worse since you have fewer options to fix but same loss of most morale  when you lose great hall, bathroom, and bedroom which are corner stone morale sources early on.

1 minute ago, chemie said:

I believe it was good meal and nice decor so +14.  The point is you were at good balance until they get sick, then lose around 10 morale due to sick bay mechanic and that is hard to make up.  

The devs added a stress buff when they are in the medbay or in the pharma chamber. And the stress buff is even bigger if they receive care. So the problem is not as hard as it was :D

Just now, Christophlette said:

The devs added a stress buff when they are in the medbay or in the pharma chamber. And the stress buff is even bigger if they receive care. So the problem is not as hard as it was :D

When?

4 minutes ago, chemie said:

When?

23 hours ago, Cheerio said:
  • Dupes won't use rec buildings more than one per half cycle.
  • Generators will now display what resource they are missing as part of their missing resources status item.
  • Tried to fix a crash that was occurring when some virus software was locking some of the yaml files being read by the game.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting to the main menu.
  • Jobs screen now highlights a dupe if they are in over their heads.
  • Using a med bed, and receiving care includes a stress reduction effect.
  • Rectangle visualizer for drag tools such as dig and cancel should now have fixed edge widths.
  • Fixed Critter Feeder displaying empty, checked, filters for critters that cannot be fed from the critter feeder.
  • Roles screen now has feedback about the morale consequences of taking on new roles.
  • Pharma chamber also applies stress reduction.
  • Dupes won't interrupt healing in a medbed / pharma chamber to sneeze, cough, vomit.
  • Dupes recovering in a medbed or pharma chamber no longer interrupt their care to catch their breath.
  • Latrine to Washroom and Barracks to Bedroom room upgrades don't happen now unless you remove lower tech buildings furniture.
  • Dupes should no longer stop generating power to use the massage table.
  • Dupes should no longer stop peeing so that they can start urgently peeing.
  • Fixed an issue where cracking eggs was causing the resource screen to report incorrect values.

View full update

Here it is ! 

Just now, abhiraz said:

i think devs of game should add some moral booster for us too playing cycles after cycles and update and again new base is exhausting

I need no morale boost, they could nerf it for my taste, game is too easy, no real dangers.

managing a healthy colony of 18 dupes for 800 cycles now in fatalistic / miserable difficulty

• stress around 30%, never more,
  • food for years to come,
  • too much O2 (got 20t of oxylite from my dense puft farm)
  • chilling base around 18 C° and stable
  • never had a sick dupe
  • All my dupes master all jobs

Klei please! I want challenge!

Archived